cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

470-hp Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 is officially for real

When we had a chance to drive the burly Wrangler 392, Jeep told us that it was waiting to see the customer response to the concept before green-lighting such an endeavor for production. Whether or not this was merely a coy rejoinder to our hopeful question, customer feedback must have been pretty definitive—the real deal Wrangler Rubicon 392 will hit dealerships this spring.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-is-officially-a-real-thing/

30 REPLIES 30
Navigator

Now, wait a second. The 392 Jeep has a top speed of 99mph and can run a quarter-mile in 13 seconds?  So, what’s the point, Fiat? Bragging rights? +$70k for this bull**bleep**? Not me!

Community Manager

Pretty much just for bragging rights! 

Intermediate Driver

Wow, those are scorching 0-60 and quarter mile times for a brick on wheels. This version of the Jeep is welcome news to Jeep fans who want it (and can afford it) and also to Bronco fans that want Ford to put as much power as possible in its upcoming Bronco "Raptor" (Warthog maybe?). Competition makes for better products all around, though Ford fans while have to wait a while for the Bronco answer to this version.

I'm opting for the on-road manners of a Bronco over the Jeep and I think the 310 hp and 410 lb. ft. of the V6 will be more than enough for my needs.  

Intermediate Driver

The jeep modders will have these uncorked and ungodly loud in no time.  And dragging tail with accessories and bolt ons, ready to blind oncoming traffic with eye searing aftermarket headlight bulbs.  Ouch I sound grumpy!!!

Intermediate Driver

I would rather have the Wrangler with the new diesel, but until they offer it in the 2-door model, it’s a no go for me.

I never have more than one other person in my 2015 Wrangler and have no need for the back seat and much longer wheelbase to get hung up on obstacles when crawling.  Leave the 4-door version for the mall-crawler set.

New Driver

My grand cherokee 392 SRT is a beast...much better overall than this wrangler...

Detailer

They should build one with a 5.7 and a 6-speed manual that rides on car the car tires they use on Sports, Islanders, Anniversaries, Freedoms, Altitudes, and Saharas for people who just want a Wrangler that is fun to drive and effortless when towing on the highway. That way I wouldn't bounce off the governor when passing on the interstate or spend every second of every day wondering why I bought an automatic in a vehicle that is supposed to be fun.

New Driver

The blue Rubicon pictures appears to be running on four mini-spare tires. 

Intermediate Driver

You CAN have too much power... especially in a vehicle like this. There are plenty of rock crawler drivers who will disagree, but they are NOT your average driver. This is something someone is going to be driving on the street and will likely never leave the road -- most of them anyway, not for a while. Power does sell, especially when you stick the "Hemi" name on it, but the 360 hp Durango/Grand Cherokee/Commander 5.7L Eagle version (or 395 hp Ram 1500 version) would make a lot more sense than the "big boy".  That's still a lot more power than the 295 hp 3.6L V-6 -- up 100 hp if using the Ram 1500 version.

as for F360Spider's comment about the "worst handling" and stiff ride... well, it's not made to go fast or handle well on the road. Take a sports car down a rough dirt road, not to mention a rough trail, and it won't handle worth a darn and will ride harder... until it high centers and gets stuck. It's comparing apples to pineapples -- two totally different things. It's not "unstable" unless you're taking it to the local autocross course in stock (or rock crawler) form.  Too many people drive it like a car, and even call it a car, but it's 100%  SUV -- and I don't mean in the overgrown station wagon sense that the term "SUV" conjures up today...

Intermediate Driver

This reminds me of the 60's when motorheads would mate a Chevy V8 with a VW.  Sure it was an eye grabber BUT, it was only of value when at the drag strip.  Going around curves would result in out of control spins and crashes not to mention insurance companies saying, "You have a what? (and you expect us to insure that?"