cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

4 unsung custom builds from SEMA 2020

SEMA’s annual Battle of the Builders pits some of the country’s top car and truck builders against each other to see who can deliver the highest-quality custom work. Despite SEMA taking a break due to the pandemic, SEMA360 kept the show alive virtually for 2020, and that (naturally) included a Battle of the Builders competition.

Brady Ranweiler took home the top prize this year for a gorgeous 1963 Chevy wagon, but there were many builders that also deserved praise. You can see Brady’s build and the rest of the top 12 selected as finalists at SEMA’s Battle of the Builder website. We wanted to highlight four more builders and their amazing creations that didn't make it into the Top 12. Here are standouts from each of SEMA’s Battle of the Builder’s categories: Hot Rod, Sport Compact, Young Guns, and Truck/Off-Road.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/4-unsung-custom-builds-from-sema-2020/

27 REPLIES 27
spoom
Technician

Love the big 'ol Dodge. Nicely done, (not that the others aren't, also) a theme truck that isn't THAT kind of theme vehicle. 😉

Dmain2
Passenger

All the builds are amazing! The c10 is just beautiful.

TonyT
Advanced Driver

Your offerings include LS, LS, diesel and diesel. I admit that stuffing an engine into a chassis it wasn't designed for is a task, there still doesn't seem to be a lot of imagination being employed. The Datsun would have been "out there" with a Subaru turbo motor (with all wheel drive!) and the old Dodge would have really turned heads with a turbocharged injected flathead inline six. Just my six and a half cents (adjusted for inflation...)

Paul_R
Passenger

Both the Camaro and the 240z must be stupid fast. But love them all.

Gpopp
Pit Crew

Camaro for me.  Bought a new 70-1/2 SS350 4 speed with the RS front end like this has.  Loved the styling.  Nice clean look with the mods.

gfviperman
Intermediate Driver

Dodge is too good and true to its roots!

Jew
Pit Crew

I don't like any of these four.

Quadxs
New Driver

The 47 Dodge is just awesome.  Remember, builds don't have to be shinny to be good.  Mr. Matteo Medoro is obviously a very talented young man.  I LOVE this truck!  

Islander
Intermediate Driver

'Love that potato sack headliner in the Dodge, an artwork in itself!

tahend
Detailer

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things does not belong!!!!!!

Bmorgue
Passenger

I like the Dodge best because it's a departure from mainstream thought.  The interior is eye-catching.

The '70 C-10 leaves me cold.  I don't care for huge out-of-scale wheels or lowering to just above a worm's tophat.  Particularly off-putting to me are mechanical components protruding asymmetrically through otherwise pristine paint and body work. 

MarkIII
New Driver

These vehicles were not winners in their class at SEMA. Thanks for showing us why. Of the ones shown the old Dodge is by far the one I would like to take a closer look at.

JollyJoe
Passenger

The interior of the Dodge is a winner.  The C10 has no new thought.

Tim
Detailer

I'm beginning to think SEMA is not my cup of tea. 🙂

quattrobergman
Passenger

I love the vehicles of SEMA! I hope we can attend next year in person. 

MrThunder
Pit Crew

All super well done...the Z may be the most mundane of the bunch, but it's so cleanly done, it's hard not to love it. For my driving pleasure it would be that or the Camaro...

930Flachbau
Pit Crew

SEMA produces some great designs from some extremely talented people. I mean, there are literally hundreds of cars there to chose from. These represent the best of the show?

bpar73
Intermediate Driver

Prejudice in favor of the Dodge. I owned a '46 pickup.

Maestro1
Detailer

Very well done to all constructors. My favorites would be the Camaro, even though I don't like the ergonomics, the exterior is excellent. The 1970 C10 is restrained and a great color combination as you mention. Very handsome truck. 

GollyGwagen
New Driver

Love the 240Z.

stevecobb45
Detailer

Wish there were more options.

merlebalke
Intermediate Driver

The 240Z and I nominate the 47 Dodge as the most worthless.

AZDon
Pit Crew

Like them all except the Dodge truck.  Those skateboard wheels look stupid.  Low profile tires on a truck?  

1933ford
Intermediate Driver

The dodge truck should have NOT been up for consideration. Rust/patina is and IMO an easy way out. I walk by them and do not give these things a look. 

Dutch
Pit Crew

Rat rod or not, The Dodge needs some new windshield glass. That's just plain unsafe.

VolvoSleeper
Pit Crew

Love the Z  Car and the Chevy Truck.  Either would look great in my garage!

Historian
Detailer

Like the Camaro and the 240Z.