cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 tips for when your car won't start away from home

My 1969 Austin Healey Sprite has been generally reliable, starting every time I turned the key during my few months of ownership. After the third turn of the key without hearing the engine sputter to life with that signature British burble, it was clear the Healey had a problem and I was going to have to deal with it stranded at a gas station. 

In the end I managed to drive the car home. How did I avoid the tow truck? Check out these tips for how you can remedy basic trouble on a future drive.

Read the full story on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/3-tips-for-when-your-car-wont-start-away-from-hom...

View Entire Topic

Does no one know that electronic ignitions eventually go bad?  I keep hearing--"Install an electronic ignition and you are done!"  (electronic ignitions range from very poor quality to very good)  I am happy to report that in over 43 years of driving vintage vehicles, I NEVER have had the old tried and true ignition points to go bad and leave me stranded.  But, I've seen electronic ignitions to leave users stranded.  I know that I'm going to get pounded for saying this, but, hey--it is worth it!  At 82 years of age, and still driving my vintage cars, I am going to die a happy ignition points user.  LOL

Pit Crew