cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

4 tips for re-covering a motorcycle seat like a pro | Hagerty Media

The rough-and-tumble condition of my Honda XR250 has been its best feature over the last year. The mismatched and broken plastics combined with the torn, duct-taped seat meant that I simply had fun riding the thing. If I or a friend dropped the bike on the trail, no one needed to feel the least bit of guilt.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/4-tips-for-re-covering-a-motorcycle-seat-like-a-p...
8 REPLIES 8
OLDERbastard1
Detailer

Decades ago, when building 1 of my Pro-Drag bikes (NHRA Div. #6), I had to build a seat. I started with a Factory seat that I stripped to the metal base. I cut & re-welded the base to the shape of my desire. I then took a large block of foam & cut & shaped it to what was required. I purchased a large piece of vinyl & after several "Dry" runs of installing it on my custom built seat, I riveted & GLUED it over the seat. The rivets obviously held the vinyl in place, but the glue not only ALSO helped hold the vinyl, but sealed it as well.
Kyle

Interesting. I've never been one to completely glue a cover in place, but on a drag bike it might make more sense. What kind of bike were you racing that time?
OLDERbastard1
Detailer

That particular bike was a big bore TSCC Suzuki. I did not cover the entire seat with the glue, rather, mostly the outer perimeter. Also, a few spots where the contours might be apt to pull (the vinyl) or make it let go.
extech
New Driver

stainless staples are a must. bikes get wet
farna
Detailer

I had a rusted out seat pan on my 1980 GS1000G (sold about 7 years ago with over 100K and still running strong!). Couldn't find a good used one. Looked hard at it, realized the hinges and latch were riveted on, and made one from layered plywood. It was slightly taller on the frame than the stamped steel, about 3/4" (thickness of plywood.. thinner wouldn't be sturdy enough) but it worked great! Put the replacement cover I'd bought a year or two earlier (how I knew it was rusted so bad -- the cover never did hold good on the edges) on it and it looked great! Until you flipped the seat up you couldn't tell. Had a solid base then another layer with the center cut out for the fender and such under the seat. Used original foam. Sat great too! Just had to be creative. I looked at adapting another big bike seat, think I had one from a Honda, but they either were too rusted or didn't fit right without lots of modification.... and they would rust again... Sealed the wood with a couple coats of polyurethane. Still on there and running with the guy I sold it to, and I did this about 2000-2001.
Rick66
Pit Crew

What the heck is that thing on the hammer tip in slide 6? Also, I am coming for your Corvair plate.
Kyle

I've glued a magnet to the back tip of my tack hammer. Really nice for single-handedly setting a nail or tack then flipping the hammer around and driving it.

Coming after that "Heartbeat of America" Corvair plate? My father found that for me years ago, I still have no idea where it came from and have never seen another one.
brb
Advanced Driver

Thanks for the tips. Useful information.