cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

4 of the wackiest-ever motorcycle names come from an outfit focused on fun

Naming conventions for many motorcycle companies amount to a mish-mash of letters and numbers more befitting of a Star Trek ship than a bike. Few marques break free from these cumbersome alphanumeric conventions. Hodaka—a small bike brand from the mid-1960s—did it very best.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/4-of-the-wackiest-ever-motorcycle-names-come-from-an-outfi...

17 REPLIES 17
Intermediate Driver

Every friend of mine that had a Hodaka loved their bikes.  Two-strokes died but, they are still much loved due to small displacement size, big power output.  

Pit Crew

In the early 70's I had a Chapparal dirt bike that I rode on one wheel as much as two. Had actually not thought of it for many years until I was watching an episode of "The Pickers" when they came across an old barn find Chapparal. Great fun for a 15 year old!

Pit Crew

I had a 1973 Combat Wombat. I recall three glorious summers ('73 - '75) when a couple of friends and I would spend a day each weekend riding the Ganaraska Forest trails here in Central Ontario. One of them had a Can-Am 175 and the other a gonzo (and to me, unrideable) Honda CR250, but when the going got tight, the Hodaka was king! Fond memories!

New Driver

Never knew much about the brand but they must have sold a lot of bikes because Hodaka's, especially Super Rat's, were everywhere in the 70's for little money. Almost got one used but after a test ride my father chickened out! He tried to steer me towards a much less cool Honda Trail 90 but, disappointed, I ended up with nothing!

Pit Crew

Hodaka in the early seventies was the off-road standard bearer.  Their reputation rested mainly on their importer (who? I wish I knew!).  But in that time, they were the kings!

Pit Crew

Hard to beat Hodaka when it came to naming a bike. Back in the day when a buddy was trying to get me off road I went to a local garage thaat happened to be a Hodaka dealer. I was going to get a Combat Wombat but he told me about the Thunder Dog. We were starting to get into enduro riding and that bike looked great to me. I was riding a 238 Kawasaki at the time, which was awful, and told him to get me one. Long story short, he couldn't get one for whatever reason and I ended up riding a Puch 175 for the following year, then went to Husky's. Got to ride some buddies Hodaka's though while trail riding. But never saw a Thunder Dog. Wonder what I missed.

Intermediate Driver

Ossa Plonker, for an observed trials bike, was well named.

Pit Crew

I had an old Harley Shovelhead that I called "Old Shep" because it would "mark it's territory", bite me when I kicked it, and loved to ride in the truck.

Intermediate Driver

I don't know how good the bike was nor how wacky one would find the name but I think one of the coolest names given to a bike was the 1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler.