cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

4 Hollywood stars who chased glory at Le Mans

Last weekend, for the 99th year of the 24 Heures du Mans, two big-screen superstars were pitted against each other in the world's longest-lived endurance race. Behind the wheel of Porsche 911 RSR-19 #93 sat Michael Fassbender, while guiding the otherwise identical #88 Porsche from the pit wall was Patrick Dempsey, now team owner of Dempsey-Proton racing.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/4-hollywood-stars-who-chased-glory-at-le-mans/
21 REPLIES 21
hyperv6
Collector

Might want to include Dick Smothers as he was a very good driver. He raced Lemans, Daytona, Watkins Glen and Sebring in the Greenwood BFG L88 Corvettes.

He also was good in Formula 5000.
FlBoy
Intermediate Driver

Dick Smothers and Fred Baker won their class at Sebring in '69 in a Porsche 906.
Fatcat321
Intermediate Driver

And you forgot James Garner. Who else did we miss?
Fatcat321
Intermediate Driver

Sorry. Garner did not drive Le Mans with his AIR team. Got confused about the topic.
Fitz
Pit Crew

Anyone recognize the open wheel car Newman is sitting in?
MGVman
Intermediate Driver

I believe it's Bobby Unser's 1968 Indy-winning Eagle/Offenhauser that was used as "Frank Caprs's car. The **bleep** is from the 1969 movie "Winning".
MGVman
Intermediate Driver

The **bleep** is the "picture is from..." Still not fixed, eh? geesh.
Sajeev
Community Manager

@MGVman any chance you can S-P-E-L-L the offending word out for me or send me a Private Message with it? I need to diagnose what word is triggering the error!  I am so sorry this is still happening! 😣

MGVman
Intermediate Driver

Hey Sajeev, the word was S-H-O-T. Cheers!
Sajeev
Community Manager

I knew it! 😑 Thank you very much, now I have some work to do. 

Fitz
Pit Crew

Thx it looked familiar but thought that would have been unusual Newman actually raced that car.

McQueen is easily the most recognized of the Hollywood racers but Newman is not too far behind. Dempsey has had a good but short run.
trickytrick
Intermediate Driver

I believe Frankie Muniz races or did race but not sure to what extent.
trickytrick
Intermediate Driver

Adam Carolla too
azflgr
Pit Crew

How about Craig T. Nelson (Coach) ? I don't think he did the 24.
Kraftwerk
Pit Crew

It should be mentioned how great ...and horrible McQueen's "Le Mans" is. Any film that has very little dialog can be admirable and quite compelling, here, "Le Mans " really shines. Another example is Monty Hellman's "Two Lane Blacktop" which does this visual-story-telling-thing really well. The problem with McQueen's film: the antagonist j u s t h a p p e n' s to be a black reporter, which is preposterous, really, it's impossible and trashes the believability of the film, which appears in many ways to be an amazing documentary that has a movie star. It's unfortunate McQueen manipulated the plot-line top this effect, since otherwise, Lemans could've been a really great film.
Smilodon
Instructor

And McQueen is cool, but "Two Lane Blacktop" had a GTO Judge in Orbit orange and James Taylor in the '55 Chevy that became Falfa's (Harrison Ford) whip in "American Graffiti". "Blacktop", a drive-in staple, is a far superior film to "LeMans". Really, it is.
dreamingeagle
Detailer

McQueen was a lot of things but he was NOT cool;

more like spoilt and bratty (nearly got kicked out of the movie ‘The Magnificent Seven’);

he was hyper-abusive to his wives and lived on semi-psychotic after discovering he was to be assassinated as well as Sharon Tate’s party he had run out on his wife at the time to attend but changed his mind and went elsewhere;

he was no more cool than Drake or Beiber (though the latter shows signs of growing up);
ladycarlover
Intermediate Driver

Like Steeeeve McQueeeen...all I need's a fast machine! Thanks Sheryl Crow!
dreamingeagle
Detailer

Garner (‘Support Your Local Sheriff’, ‘Victor Victoria’, ‘The Rockford Files’) would’ve been far and away the best of them all;

all the drivers (Clark, Hill, Amon, Oliver, Brabham, Rindt, Hulme, Stewart, etc.) and manufacturers (Chapman, Ferrari, McLaren) took to him while making ‘Grand Prix’ and it was thought he had the driving ability to be World Champion;

a lot more impressive than these four spoilt Le Mans one-trick pony dilettantes not highly thought of then or now by those who know;
FoF
New Driver

Paul Newman started while doing a film about racers (with footage from Elkhart Lake and Indy among others) I saw him at Lime Rock in the beginning in sedans, but he drove anything and everything across the country. I had a picture I Took at Riverside Raceway in CA with Newman and 2 or 3 other well known names sitting cross legged under the fence rail as the cars came out of the last turn 15 feet or so from the track and I believe it was a Trans Am, full bore....those were the days....FW Parker