cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

4 high-dollar rides in Top Gun: Maverick that don't make financial sense

Despite its highly entertaining onscreen aerial display, the military accuracy of Top Gun: Maverick has already been poo-pooed by our real-life fighter pilot. Now we're about to toss another fly or two in the soup-or at least ask some legitimate questions about the non-military modes of transportation in the film.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/4-high-dollar-rides-in-top-gun-maverick-that-dont-make-f...
143 REPLIES 143
JHMk1
Pit Crew

Remember Penny's father was an Admiral; I just figured the boat and car was his. I missed the Aston altogether but I didn't think Pete Mitchell actually owned the P-51. There were a fair number of classic cars on her street, though.
McPhilbert
Pit Crew

Well, it's a fictional movie, it doesn't need to make any more sense than warp drive in Star Trek does it? I hope no one is going to see this with the idea that it's a documentary or even "based on a true story." I think people are going to movies like this to escape reality, not look for it.
Myk
Intermediate Driver

Wise words. I'm glad to see that the "dumb fantasy " of this movie didn't escape your comprehension like it has with just about every movie snob in this discussion...
Inline8OD
Technician

Every notice that those hurling the epithet "snob" never use the more accurate "discerning?"

Rider79
Technician

Is a "discerning" snob better?
Pchmotoho
Pit Crew

My garage has 400k of cars and bikes in it. My house still has some of my furniture from my single days which I purchased via Craigs list due to me spending all my money on cars and bikes. The rest I just wasted.

I’m just a working class guy who luckily scraped enough money together back in the day.l and bought the right cars. If this former USMC Cpl can do it I’m sure Maverick could pull it off too.

MIpilot
Pit Crew

Your response reminded me of a story where a guy won a lot of money. He said that he spent half of it on "babes, booze and blow...the rest of it I wasted."
ThePorscheMan
Detailer

MartyEllison
New Driver

I can give you a simple answer that makes perfect financial sense: Maverick was never married.
roostercrow007
Pit Crew

Winning comment of the day!
ranchero63
New Driver

I'd say I don't like to quibble, but that wouldn't be true. As an ex carrier sailor I quibbled lots about this movie. So, here goes. First that bar that Penny works in is nowhere near Fightertown USA. Fightertown was at NASMiramar (since given over to the Marine Corp, so I can't say if it's still F-town) while the bar IS at NAS North Island. Second, Penny is supposedly an Admirals daughter, so, it's possible she inherited the car from her father who bought it when new. As to the Aston, might it be possible that Mav just rents hanger space to the gazillionair who owns the car, for a premium? And the Mustang? I have personally know Navy piolets who would have given their right nut for a P-51. It's entirely possible a piolet or a group of them pooled their resources to find and rebuilt a P-51.
Now keep in mind my scenarios are every bit as plausible, if not more so as some of the clap trap I saw in that movie.
ranchero63
New Driver

Shamefully, my spelling on pilots was atrocious. My bad.
Tsaxman
Instructor

I thought you were just pulling their chains, as my B-1 crew chief nephew always did.
930Flachbau
Detailer

Maybe she inherited the 911S and the sail boat from her Pappy?
And yes, Cruise does own a P-51 Mustang and is a qualified licensed pilot to fly it........dang! That's my dream plane!
EventHorizons
Intermediate Driver

Sure...if you went and bought those things right now it would be impossible!

I don't know about the Aston Martin but the Porsche could have been picked up for cheap many years ago. The P-51 would never have been "cheap" but at one time it would have been within the reach of a middle-class earner who had made wise choices with their money and was willing to make the necessary sacrifices.

As for the sail boat? If you pick up your local "Sail Boat Trader" then you are going to spend money! But boats are weird. Be in the right place at the right time (and a bar owner probably spends all day in the right place!) then you can get one for next to nothing. The saying goes "the two happiest days of my life were when I bought my boat and when I sold it."
Tsaxman
Instructor

"Mission Impossible" impossible, or just unlikely?
MemphisTigerFan
Pit Crew

Maybe he's smarter at investing than he is at following orders!
Pbgray
Pit Crew

As someone in Washington DC would say "C'mon man!!!" It's a movie, fiction, entertainment! Would you rather have Maverick owning a Cessna 172, driving a Honda Civic, and Jennifer Connelly behind the wheel of a Prius?
Inline8OD
Technician

Sure, if the movie had adult complexity.   We can go to air and car meets for the Walter Mitty bits.

Myk
Intermediate Driver

The stuffy old snobs in here who wouldn't know a good time if it fell on them would definitely prefer that.

That makes me realize that the true ire towards this movie probably stems from the lack of success and excess that it's critics have experienced, in direct contrast to the blessed lifestyle that Maverick displays...
Inline8OD
Technician

That you equate education, knowledge, experience with "old" and confuse "snobs" with discerning says more about you.

RobMason
New Driver

Actually, Penny drives a 912 - you can see the badge in several scenes.
Inline8OD
Technician

Good catch.  And note no one else caught this, which'd explain a lot. 

If you bought a Mustang -- the real one, not a reskinned Ford Falcon -- in the late '50s, early '60s,  a frugal middle-class fellow could swing it.   Most of them since owned by trust fund/mall developing cowboys who run them at twice their wartime take off and emergency manifold pressure for a trophy at the Reno Unlimited Air Race until they blow up. 

With the Merlins built during the war by Rolls-Royce and Packard drying up, these rich clowns are now looking for postwar Merlin transport engines, and using Allison rods.  I know a longtime Merlin rebuilder, and P-51 owner, who will no longer rebuild these engines for such bozos.

Ragster
Detailer

It's a MOVIE.......just enjoy it , get lost in the action of it.....relax.....
Myk
Intermediate Driver

NO! WE CANT! MUST...HAVE...REALISM...AT ALL....COSTS!!!!!
Inline8OD
Technician

All capital letters and exclamation points always strengthen a dissenting opinion.

JBBearcat
Advanced Driver

A P-51 goes for between $3-5 million.
In real life back in the 70-80s there was an Air Force general with one, but he was single...so that helped.
When I was a single captain, I had more pocket money than the colonels with kids in college.
And the planes were a lot less expensive then...but then, pay was lower.
A Navy Captain, even with flight pay, would be hard pressed to afford that aircraft...and hangar and insurance, maintenance and the rest.
BTW...to overhaul a Merlin is close to $200k.
Sure it's pissible, just about as likely as a single mom owning a classic 911.
Hey, it's Hollywood.

As far as a Navy guy owning an Air Force fighter...The P-51 is the most common WWII fighter flying today...by a large margin. So that could have played arole.
The Wildcats, Hellcats, Bearcats and Corsairs are out thete, some are less expense than a Mustang,some are more, but they aren't as glamorous. More to the point, Tom Cruise doesn't have one...or is checked out to fly one.
But loyalty runs deep, an acquaintance painted an ex-Army Stearman in Navy markings just because his dad was an admiral.
Myk
Intermediate Driver

Tom cruise DOES own that mustang. His ex wife bought for him as a present. Why and how do you think the mustang made it into this film? Tom cruise was one of the producers; its basically HIS movie, so why wouldn't he take the chance to show himself off and his awesome plane?
JBBearcat
Advanced Driver

If you read my comment, I say that Cruise DOESN'T own a Hellcat, Bearcat or Corsair.
I make it pretty clear he owns the Mustang (albeit indirectly).Besides, the article says that.
I can read!
Eric1
Pit Crew

While we’re on the subject, I’ve always wondered how Buzz and Rick, two drifters who wandered aimlessly around the country, afforded a new Corvette once a year.
SilverBullet
New Driver

Entertaining movie - as is sailing in San Francisco bay, where the J-boat was (we don't get that kind of wind in San Diego) editors did a nice job avoiding showing the Golden Gate bridge in the background!
Studenorton
Instructor

As I recall the back story, one of them was from a wealthy family, the other dirt poor.
Inline8OD
Technician

Buz was the poor kid who worked for wealthy Tod's father.

Dhturk
Intermediate Driver

Back in 78, I was supposed to purchase, for $2,000, a 2001? (can’t remember the exact year) Porsche 911 T from a NCO in a sister unit. He renigged on the deal while I was in the field (supposed close on it when I got back) and sold it to someone else. Ah, what could have been.
Plane and car belong to rich person housed in a hanger Maverick lives in and shares space. He works on the P-51 for airtime. The car could have been her ex husbands, and boat, her Dads. Or, the boat is a “club” boat which she gets to use “X” amount of times per year.
As for her money situation, with those bar rules and rounds being bought for the house several time a night, her income stream would not be hurting. And since it’s a movie, it doesn’t matter (The first Admiral had at least one incorrect ribbon on his rack).

Intermediate Driver

So Maverick is also a certified AP mechanic?
Myk
Intermediate Driver

No one said he was one. Are you saying only certified mechanics can pull a spark plug?
Tinkerah
Engineer

Check those dates Dhturk, and careful with that spelling there.

McG-
Pit Crew

C'mon kids... Top Gun is just a big, silly, over-the-top summer blockbuster! Suspend your belief for two hours, sit back and enjoy the need for speed!

I think I gave it a full 1.5 to 2-seconds of consideration before I wrote off and ignored the Aston and the P-51 simply as fun-to-see, eye-candy movie props. I mean, this crowd would probably all agree that, despite it being a stretch that both are owned by Maverick, seeing a vintage Aston and a P-51 Mustang together in ANY movie would be cool, right?

Also, does anyone (spoiler alert) seriously think the bad guys would really have a fully functioning, armed and fueled F14 Tomcat ready and waiting to fly so Maverick and Goose-lite can steal away in it to save the day? Nope. But I don't care. It was fun to see Maverick sweep those wings forward, hit the afterburner and take off on a (not damaged?) taxi-way that was waaaay too short for an F14 to take off from without carrier catapult assist. And the sail boat? That could have belonged to Penny's dad. Or to her. Or she borrowed it. Again, who knows. Who cares?!? It's a summer blockbuster!!!

But actually, I did think twice when I saw Penny's Porsche. Outright cost being one aspect, but mostly I was thinking it was a stretch to see someone daily-driving one of those and just casually parking it on the street in front of their house. You would not want to drive a nice, vintage 911 around under-insured by your typical car insurance company in case it got wrecked or stolen.

Perhaps a strategically placed "INSURED BY HAGERTY" sticker on the back window would have made that part of the movie more believable. 😉
Tsaxman
Instructor

You forget that, before he made it to flight school, Maverick was running a "Risky Business."
Even conservatively invested, he could have accumulated millions. And his inamorata's bar might be a cash cow, so perhaps she isn't paying taxes on all of her revenue. With a decent down payment, she could leverage the sailboat and the car.

It's Hollywood. Don't ask for reality. As Ed Gardner said,
“Scratch beneath the phony tinsel, and you will find the real tinsel.”
imavettin
Intermediate Driver

Great Movie....I assumed the Mustang to be a 5/8 scale replica, when i saw it, it did look a little small, and i wrestled with the camera lens possible culprit. the camera man did clearly show the Roll Royce Cylinder head. I am not sure if the replicas contain RR engines, but a cover could be 3D printed for Hollywood.

the 911 did look genuine, and i questioned her business profits, when i saw it.
Tinkerah
Engineer

After we've figured this out, let's work on how the Friends afforded those glorious Manhattan apartments while hanging out at a coffee shop.
uweschmidt
Instructor

I also wonder where all the animals live that entertain peple in Jurrasic Park ( or however its Spelled
Inline8OD
Technician

In the coffee shop.

Kingwood
Intermediate Driver

Pete Mitchell is an aspirational character. The glamorous life of a fighter pilot is somewhat less so. Two sorties a day on somewhat marginal pay, base housing, or housing allowance. Still, these guys are the cream of the crop. As for the acquisitions, I see them as pretty plausible. I bought a Porsche 930 in 1986 for $36k. A lot of money for a car back then but, for a young single guy, worth every penny. Pilots are also perfectionists so they maintain everything impeccably…forever!
desertdweller
Pit Crew

I loved the movie. It entertained me, and that is why my wife will go see a movie. Rarely is a movie true to life, except if its a real documentary and not all of them are truly factual. So, the P51, I've been working in aviation my entire adult life. Few of us own such airplanes as the P51, but honestly guys will make it happen. I know mechanics who have owned WW2 era fighters. I worked on some of them. So a pilot, not out of the question. The 911, yes today that 73 S model sells for that kind of coin, but 20 yrs ago, not so much. The boat, again I have friends who live on boats in San Diego such as that, sail boats can be bought for quite a bit less if they need some work. Why not say thats how she got it and she is an excellent boat mechanic as well as a hot babe bar owner. In Ameria, somehow when you want something bad enough, we make it happen. And the Aston Martin. Maybe it was just a life sized poster. Lol.
espo70
Instructor

It's possible the Porsche has been in the family since its iteration, and the boat was a hand-me-down from her grandfather who dabbled in boat racing. Of course this is all here say based on the fact I have not seen this movie. Man, I would love to own a P-51 Mustang though...even just to look at. Monogram to the rescue!
Tim
Technician

I'm only having some issues about the $300K boat. But then again, if her admiral father owned a house in the San Diego area, she could have inherited and sold it for boat money (and more).

If Maverick never drove the Aston in the movie, it's not his. They showed him with every other toy. So, I'm going with the Aston belongs to someone who owns the hangar or co-rents it. Or maybe co-owns the P-51.

Penny has had the Porsche (either directly or through her father) for many years, going back to when they were cheap.

Maverick could have invested in Apple stock for the past 20 years and had enough gains to pay for all of the above. 😄

Well only the 911 would actually make any sense in terms of ownership in the movie but let's be honest we don't watch movies like this for the deep plot or too much accuracy.
KlausKneip7263
Pit Crew

Someone once said America has two capitals: the Washington DC political capital and the other capital, the capital of our dreams — Hollywood. Most of the world believes in the dreams of the second capital.
JBBearcat
Advanced Driver

Now days, both have believability issues!