cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

4 high-dollar rides in Top Gun: Maverick that don't make financial sense

Despite its highly entertaining onscreen aerial display, the military accuracy of Top Gun: Maverick has already been poo-pooed by our real-life fighter pilot. Now we're about to toss another fly or two in the soup-or at least ask some legitimate questions about the non-military modes of transportation in the film.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/4-high-dollar-rides-in-top-gun-maverick-that-dont-make-f...
143 REPLIES 143
hyperv6
Collector

Toss out the Aston. Make the 911 a clean 1986 model or later model. Shrink the sail boat.

As for the vintage fighter. Well I will have to say I have seen this happen. I attended at show at Gillespie field in San Diego not far from Miramar where the original Top Gun School was located at one time.

This was a small air show and small airport and a number of old Navy pilots were attending flying old WWII fighters, a couple Navy Jet fighters in private hands and a good number of Migs.
Keep in mind most pilots share planes and often these planes are own by a group of owners or the ex military pilot will fly for the owners. Not everyone can fly these planes easily.

Now It is less common that a Ex navy guy would fly a Air Force plane. Often they are in a Corsair or Hell Cat. But Navy vintage planes are getting pretty rare as so many were lost in the war. Less were saved after the war too.

I hate this movie but I will say it is plausible a Fighter pilot could be flying someone's WW2 plane. He would just not be a single owner.

Note this show had a real surprise. I stuck my head in a hanger door and saw what I thought was lost. One of the original Northrup flying wings. This was the small two engine prototype. It was fresh from restoration and flying again. It was just lost a few years ago in a crash with engine trouble. But it was something to see. 

Jeff
Hagerty Employee

Great stuff! Appreciate your comments. Hadn't thought about co-ownership of the P-51, but they sure made it look like it was all Mav's. Plus, it seems like his only true "friend" was Iceman. Owning the plane together would have a been a cool addition to their scene together.
hyperv6
Collector

That is why I don't bother with the movie. I find the real stuff more interesting. As I posted in the other thread check out the biography of WWI Ace Eddie Rickenbacker and his real entire life's work. He makes Maverick look like a wash out. 

Like the Fast and Furious it's a bit too far over the top for me. If I want Science Fiction I leave it for Marvel. 

You will find less and less people owning these older military planes. They are just too expensive to buy , own and maintain. The Mustang has an advantage as Jack Roush has done a lot of work supplying parts. Yes that Jack. 

I used to fly with a retired Air Force Col. that owned two B25 planes. Just the cost of fueling up one plane was astronomical. 

I got to take the controls of one of them for a little over an hour. It was like steering a big old worn out dump truck Heavy controls and lots of noise. Even with head phones on it left my ears ringing. 

Doing a simulated bomb run is one memory I will always carry with me. 

If anyone has a chance go up in one of these planes while you can. Many are not flying anymore and fewer are giving rides.  My goal this summer is a Ford Tri Motor and in time I still need to add a B29. Only two of them flying today. 

daffodildeb
Intermediate Driver

I got a ride in the EAA Tri Motor several years ago at Oshkosh. It was great. Price has gone up slightly (think it’s now about $80), but it is well worth it. Relax and go back in time contemplating those who flew across the country back then in one…
Alfanorth
Intermediate Driver

About an hour's drive from my home in Toronto, is a military air museum with one of only two Lancaster bombers in the world still flying. It costs the equivalent of 2700USD for a one hour flight. Not cheap! They also have a B-26 and other aircraft for much less. I may eventually stop putting it off and go for it.
It would be one hell of a life experience.
ThePorscheMan
Detailer

I have NO idear why you wouldn't want to plug The Warplane Heritage Museum - https://www.warplane.com/ .
It's a fantastic place you can get rides in the Mitchell, Lancaster and a couple other planes as well as visit a fabulous museum.
I used to live in "the Beaches" and to hear those radial engines droning in the distance, coming close and flying past at least once a week was an absolute joy.
JBBearcat
Advanced Driver

I volunteer at an air museum, the cost of a B-25 ride is just $495...not bad.
Studenorton
Instructor

It's the Miramar Flying Club, see...
Trying hard to figure why Aviators would not have gone with Hellcats or Corsairs instead. Ask any Aviator what the best fighter of WWII was, and you'll get one of two answers, neither of which has a "P" in it.
Goes2fast
Intermediate Driver

Some pilots will sink every spare cent into what they love. I'm retired from a major airline and one pilot had a house in a subdivision here that has it's own runway and most of the homes have hangars in back with taxiways to the runway. He had a MIG in his hangar and brought it to DIA for the Family Day that they used to have every year before 9/11. There were other hobby aircraft that would come along with classic cars including my 57 Belair but watching that red MIG take take off will always be in my memory along with the only time the Concord flew in about a year before the crash that ended them.
Smilodon
Instructor

As a Boy Scout on a Band tour, I was privileged to get to watch a Concorde take off when we played in NYC. I'd sell my soul to fly that.
Myk
Intermediate Driver

You "hate" this movie? Why? Did it touch you inappropriately or something? Did it run over your dog?
MeJ
Advanced Driver

I haven't seen the movie (yet) but the sailboat could be her home, like a floating condo, the Porsche could be a family heirloom (maybe passed down from her father?). 'hyperv6' mentioned a kind of "rideshare" ownership with the Mustang, so all of that makes sense. But the Bugatti? Pure Hollywood...
Jeff
Hagerty Employee

Penny owns a house too, but good point about the hand-me-down Porsche. They don't say it in this movie, but when they mentioned Penny in the original film they said her father was an admiral.
Sledogpilot
Detailer

Ok…
Penny also got a divorce settlement from her ex. Used it to buy a run down bar and then started watching “Bar Rescue”. She’s obviously kickin it now, the place clears $10 large a night.
Myk
Intermediate Driver

"10 Large" a night is not enough to be "kickin it." Based on where that bar is supposedly located, 10 large a night would barely cover her operating costs which include rent/lease, utilities, labor, insurance, etc.
BiffNotZeem
Intermediate Driver

He doesn’t necessarily own the DBR1 in the hangar. I have known airplane guys that sub-leased portions of their hangar for car storage.
Smilodon
Instructor

My good friend leases space in a hangar for his 308 turned into a 288GTO replica; it's a rather jarring companion to the pre-WW2 Stearman biplane in navy yellow/blue that lives there. I always think that place smells good- history, money, and taste.
MIpilot
Pit Crew

Live aboard a J/125? Uh, NO! They are spartan to say the least. The cabin is for the off watch to catch a bit of sleep (if the skipper doesn't insist they remain on the weather rail as movable ballast) and for storing additional sails. That's it. If you have visions of this being a spacious and comfortable boat that you could live aboard, then you are someone who would consider using a car from NASCAR as a daily driver.
Google it for images.
TG
Gearhead

I would consider using a car from NASCAR as a daily driver - if the DOT would let me and all
Holmesbr
New Driver

Keep in mind that Penny's dad was an admiral. Remember in original show when Goose I think mentions the trouble Maverick got into with Penny the admirals daughter.
PwrdbyM
Pit Crew

Mavericks pay is considerably higher than the average cited above but likely far short of seven-figure expenditures. As a 24+ year O-6 (longevity raises stop after 24yrs) he'd make $12,130 in base pay, another $3,399 for BAH in the San Diego area, $280 for BAS, and since he's over 25yrs of flying service his aviation pay would've dropped to only $250 per month. Giving him $16,059 monthly gross or $192,708 per year. He could've also taken any number of career incentive bonuses to sign on in 3-5yr increments, which could add up to $30k yearly to his pay.
S2kChris22
Pit Crew

Air cooled 911s are worth stupid money now, but maybe 10-15 years ago a 2.7L was worth almost nothing. $20k maybe? It’s only been recently that 911 prices went bonkers.
Cornbinder
Detailer

The same way that a likely large number of us reading this bought something like that '70's Porsche, a Mercedes 280SL, or BMW 3.0CS for under ten grand two decades ago - and everyone back then though we were nuts for spending that much money on one.
The rest of is is Hollywood BS.
ThePorscheMan
Detailer

I paid 7,500 CAD for my '65 230SL in '95 (low #2/high #3 driver).
PurelyPMD
Detailer

Pay 20k for a car like that 15-20 years ago you look stupid, today you look like a genius. Cars that are worth a fortune today are easy to explain if you've had them a long time or if you've traded up over time.
dyerhaus
Intermediate Driver

I'm a man of modest means, yet I own a Porsche and a Ferrari. Both of those cars have gone way up in value since I bought them, I could not afford them today. Perhaps that's the case with the Porsche in this film? Not sure on the Aston, don't know how a mere mortal could have ever afforded a car like that. If you assign current values to vehicles that have been owned for quite some time, then it's unrealistic (as would be the case for me). It's likely these characters have owned the vehicles for more than a year.
DaveP
Detailer

So true - and with he crazy market right now I couldn't afford to buy our house that we bought 30 years ago. Plus, I was offered $5000 for our daily driver, a 2005 Ford Escape that we bought used 12 years ago for... $5,000.
BTW - any chance that the 56 aston martin is owned by "Maverick's" alter ego, Tom Cruise???
imavettin
Intermediate Driver

good point , my hellcat would cost $30,000 more today than bought new in 2020....crazy
RNFNR
New Driver

I bet y'all are just so fun at parties. Probably TC, the director, the writers or the producers thought these rigs were cool so they wrote them in their movie. Did you see TGM? Did you have fun? Yes? Well awesome, because summer blockbusters are supposed to be fun.
Valvefloat
Intermediate Driver

But could it be realistic and just as much fun? That would take a director and writers who cared and had an ounce of brain. To give you an example, there's "My cousin Vinny." A great movie, and all of the car stuff was right on the money. It can be done.
uweschmidt
Instructor

Moviesare made to escape reality for a little while would you like to see reality if so you need to look for reality in war movies it would make you sick instantly if they showed reality
Inline8OD
Technician

Perhaps enough people in the US "escape" the reality of war. Turning it into a video game helps the never-passed-an-audit Pentagon/Dept. of Defense that receive half of your Federal income tax dollars lure more clueless lads into uniform, only to turn them over a few years later to Walmart, Jiffy Lube, Home Depot.

Grand Prix racing, deep sea diving,  and mountain climbing if you want real escapes.

Meanwhile, the unrequited testosterone articles like the above release is hilarious.

Myk
Intermediate Driver

Have you been gran prix racing, deep sea diving or mountain climbing lately? Don't tell me how to enjoy my time, money and life...
Inline8OD
Technician

You have to be told? So your version of Walter Mitty differs. You've flown a jet? A Piper Cub? A kite?
Inline8OD
Technician

Valvefloat, right y'are. Terrific point and thanks. Why o why does reality have to go out the window when making movies about "the right/real stuff?"
Mallplex flicks like Top Gun have as much to do with the exciting enough real world as the James Bond cartoons with the grim reality of Richard Burton's The Spy Who Came In From the Cold.
Never forget, the movie business's prime target is boys in their early teens, with emphasis on mindless action over plot to return more box office overseas.

Turn off the tube and get back to the garage.

Myk
Intermediate Driver

Why does it have to be one or the other? You're a very obtuse individual. How about this: after watching Maverick, I smiled for the sake of nostalgia, and then went home and adjusted the floats of the 4bbl on my 69 Charger R/T. Is that reasonable enough for you?
Myk
Intermediate Driver

Different type of movie; don't compare apples to oranges...
Myk
Intermediate Driver

Precisely my thoughts. The people in this conversation would have a bowl of ice cream sent out to a laboratory for analysis instead of just enjoying it for the fun food that it is...
Inline8OD
Technician

Not at all.  They're just thinking adults who've long since graduated from cartoons and fantasyland.

Rider79
Technician

Such graduation sounds like a good thing to avoid, at least in one's leisure time; reality bites enough in earning a living and living somewhat "responsibly"; why ruin the leisure time, too? Eat the healthy dinner, then just enjoy the ice cream!
MrKnowItAll
Advanced Driver

It's a movie. It's got nothing to do with reality.
Like most TV shows and movies.

Since they started making them.
lpgallegos
New Driver

What about the Bronco?
DaveP
Detailer

OK - so maybe I'm showing my ... age here but watch the Eiger Sanction (1972) where the character played by George Kennedy drives a 1975(?) Bill Stroppe Bronco.
Fahrvergnugen
New Driver

No doubt!
That’s the first thing I mentioned to my wife (watching the movie) “we got one of those, as the kid pulls up to the bar in a Bronco. Then later on in the movie I see my 911 parked in front of Penny’s house😵💫
The first vehicle I ever drove was our family Bronco a 1974 that my dad bought new. My brother had a 69 and now we have the last year a 77.
dugzstuff
New Driver

One more wrong portrayal. CA has a helmet law where you are required to always wear a helmet when driving a motorcycle.
DaveP
Detailer

Ever try riding a bike w/ just aviator glasses at 85mph? "Doctor, my eyes,
Tell me what is wrong, Was I unwise to leave them open for so long?"
Myk
Intermediate Driver

Its...a....MOVIE....
Rider79
Technician

Well, you know Maverick: he likes to break rules.
merlebalke
Advanced Driver

Why would you assume Maverick bought the P-51 when they're going for 7 figures? And as for Penny, how about inheritance?