cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 forgotten 4x4s that some enthusiasts may actually remember

Nobody remembers the one millionth red light they’ve stopped at, but everyone remembers the first time they got stuck in the mud in a 4×4—or how a 4×4 helped them discover new places that would’ve been practically impossible to explore on foot without a weeks-long hike. It’s the 4×4’s ability to traverse seemingly impassible barriers that makes them so memorable. Most of them, anyway.

Leaving aside the popular Jeep Wranglers and Toyota Hiluxes are some forgotten 4x4s of the past, those that sank into obscurity more through the failures of our own memories than any mechanical maladies on their part.

Today we’re digging into the depths of our minds, sifting through the broad spectrum of giant earth-movers and fly-weight hooliganism, and selecting our four favorite forgotten 4x4s.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/4-forgotten-4x4s/

Replies (17)

Replies (17)

Let me add #5:  1986 Subaru BRAT! 1600cc of raw power, 4 speed manual, 4x4 transfer case, hi/low speed, all with extra seats in the bed!  What fun!

New Driver

By the time I was old enough to pay attention to cars (about 12), I remembered thinking how cool the AMC Eagle "coupes" and wagons were. 

New Driver

I always wanted a Mercedes Benz "Unimog" That to me is the ULTIMATE 4×4!

New Driver

What, no Isuzu Trooper? Somewhere Joe Isuzu is crying in his Fuji beer.

New Driver

How about the Citroen 2CV Sahara?  It has two engines and two gearboxes.  They could be operated in tandem or independently.  Loose the front or the back and you could still make it back home!

Passenger

Richardson, Texas, 1966. A pimply faced kid (me) pulls up in an International Scout to deliver a bucket of fried chicken. Fortunately for citizens of Richardson the Chicken Delight International Scout delivery vehicle was NOT powered by a Mopar 440.

Pit Crew

I do remember the Rocky.  As I recall, the road tests of the time said that it was pretty good off-road.

Intermediate Driver

My favorite and was at one time a fortunate owner of the Izuzu Vehicross.

Great fun in the dirt and Torque on Demand made you feel like any hill was climbable.

New Driver

The large dump trucks used in ore mining today still use the Couple-Gear concept of using an internal combustion engine (from a locomotive) to drive a generator that powers electic motors at each wheel. And the braking is also provided by the regenerative capacity of the motors. 

Detailer

Rayton Fissore’s Magnum

Passenger

Great article. I was unaware of the Couple-Gear Freight Company. Cool stuff.

The Scout guy in me questioning the cubes in the Safari...correct me if I’m wrong but IH never made a 395...perhaps 345ci?

Pit Crew

Couple Gear Freight Company article and photos absolutely fascinating: American ingenuity at its best!

New Driver

We had a Laforza come through a dealership I worked at when I was younger. If I remember correctly it was like an Israeli  Hummer..kinda

Passenger

Ah yes, the couple gear freight company... how could I forget?

Pit Crew

My wife's on her fourth one (here in the Northeast they rust out while still running strong) and they've won me over as well.

Intermediate Driver

The BMW Freeclimber: Japanese Design, Italian Engineering, and German Reliability?  Yikes.

Pit Crew

The Suzuki/GEO were a very capable 4X4.

New Driver