cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

4 canceled vehicles that deserved a second chance

The automotive industry is brutal. Dollar signs drive design decisions every day, and if a product doesn’t continue to satisfy bean counters and board executives, it’s tossed aside regardless of the cult that might follow the nameplate to its grave. 

Today we both celebrate and mourn the loss of several models that were axed before they could be polished or refined to the full extent. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/4-machines-that-deserve-a-second-chance/

121 REPLIES 121
Pit Crew

If Dodge had put the Magnum Wagon out as a Two door Hatchback with a luggage rack on top, they would have outsold the Chevy Nomad by miles! Dodge will go the way of Plymouth if they don't get with the program soon!

Passenger

The Magnum deserves the Hellcat treatment. A big power, American V8 wagon would be a glorious thing. Specially if in manual.

Passenger

Chevy Volt for me.  Too bad GM ceased production last Feb.  Put the voltech drivetrain in a compact crossover.  

hmmm not the pontiac aztek

New Driver

We had a 2007 Magnum SXT. If it had a Hemi I think I'd still have it. We really enjoyed that car. Drove it from coast to coast a couple times at least. Comfortable, practical and a bad boy look. One of the few cars I miss not having any more. I still check the used cars once in a while in case a clean Hemi or SRT shows up. 

Pit Crew

Bring back the Corvair! 

Passenger

Were is the Ford Excursion ? I would Take a Newer one over any Of These !!

New Driver

I knew a dentist who owned a VW Phaeton and drove it because he wanted a luxury sedan without giving his patients the appearance that he was above them. Driving a Volkswagen made him one of us. I think that may have been the market Volkswagen was aiming for or perhaps trying to create.

New Driver

I miss seeing Magnums (kinda rare around here), and while I probably wouldn't go for a 700+ HP model it really would be an interesting car.  The Aztec?  C'mon...no level of tech, performance or accessories could make up for those lines.  It put the "Ug" in ugly.  So what are the new ideas coming out of the auto makers?  Hey, let's build a 4 door electric sedan (good idea) that we'll call... a Mustang?  I think the values of my '67 and '69 just went down.

Passenger

C'mon Haggerty!!!!   The Mercury Marauder from 2003-2004 is mandatory for this list.  Recommending an Aztec is a complete joke.  Past the Aztecs terrible build quality, el cheapo plastics and stupid design its a reflection of everything wrong with GM, and continues to be wrong with GM.   Haggerty, if you are going to pass yourself off as experts at least have someone who truly has in depth knowledge on what if you bought you could honestly invest in safely, and not go bankrupt over repair bills like in the VW.  One more thing:  When I worked at GM the Aztec was such a dismal failure they forced employees with company car benefits to drive Aztecs, the thinking was that if people saw them on the road it might sell.