cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

3 lightweight learners for first-time motorcyclists

Motorcycling is a sensory rush you simply cannot get on four wheels. If you’re a brand-new motorcyclist, the ride is best learned and enjoyed aboard a small machine. For every heavy-hitter Vincent or Indian headlining an auction stage, there are a jillion unheralded 90–200cc bikes that can provide equal joy for an iota of the price. Read the full article on Hagerty.com: 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/3-lightweight-learners-for-first-time-motorcyclists/

13 REPLIES 13
New Driver

Kind of odd that your recommendation of starter motorcycles for new riders are all old "classics" that are priced relatively high due to their nostalgia value to older riders and will likely required significant repair costs by people not equipped to make them and will also be less reliable and safer for those who most need those attributes. If the title was "Classic Small Motorcycles" then your choices would be fine. A better choice for new riders would be any of the new small displacement motorcycles on the market today.

Passenger

mine was a 1971 ct-70H K0, still have it. Haven't folded down the bars and stuck it in the trunk of a car for years. Brought a tear to my eye when 1st rode after restoring. the exhaust note is very identifiable

Pit Crew

My first bike was a black Honda S90, just like the one in the drawing. It was the perfect starter bike. For quite a few years there were no comparable starter bikes and all too many kids started out with bikes that way over-matched their skills. No one should learn how to ride on a GSXR.

Pit Crew

As a little kid, I always envied other kids in the neighborhood who flew by on Ace 100's, Honda CT-70's, and Briggs & Stratton powered mini bikes.  These seemed to be the "learning bikes" to me at the time.  My older brother got a big tire, Honda 50 and that was a big deal.  But when it came time I was old enough to beg for a street bike like ones shown above, my mother said, "If you can come to my office and look at something, we can talk about it".  She worked as a secretary at a funeral home and when I got down there, she walked me into the chapel where a guy was in an open casket with a sheet over his head.  She said, "Ok, if you can look at this guy who died riding a motorcycle, we'll talk".  I ran.  My Sting Ray would suffice from that day forward.  My mom knew as crazy as I rode my bike and how my brother rode his Honda, that much more speed on the street would probably give me the same result as the "guy at work".