cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 essential alignment terms, explained

Handling is a word you will read frequently in the automotive world. Journalists, race car drivers, and manufacturer reps will debate the handling nuances between different models to no end, referring to subframe bushings and spring rates and how exactly the actuation of power steering may effect a car's behavior. Despite the infinite array of technical terms, most of the time a car's handling character is determined by three steering adjustments.

Read more about these three terms on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/3-essential-alignment-terms-explained/

View Entire Topic

I get the alignment terms and how they affect the car. I have a T Bucket that I have had for almost 40 years. The car has a mind of its own when it comes to steering and going straight down the road. I adjusted the toe-in, the toe-out , caster and I even made a jig to bend the axle to adjust the camber. Nothing helps. Every part of the steering is tight. I do have a question regarding the office chair example. In your drawing the axle of the wheel is in front of the kingpin center line and the angle is leaning back. In the chair example, the axle center line is behind the pivot of the caster. Seems opposite of the drawing example.  I've been tempted to try negative caster angle to see if in improves things. Problem is it is a lot of work to change from positive to negative caster. Can you further explain what I seem to not be understanding?

Thank you,

Bill

Passenger