cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

3 classic cars that have rock-solid values-and 3 that are wild cards | Hagerty Media

He gets on base." If you follow baseball-or have seen the movie Moneyball -you're probably familiar with the quote. The notion is that it's better to have a player who gets on base consistently than one who hits more home runs but also strikes out frequently. There's a similar concept in car collecting: volatility.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/3-classic-cars-that-have-rock-solid-valu...
21 REPLIES 21
930Flachbau
Intermediate Driver

Can't speak to the other cars in this article, but the Porsche 930 (911 Turbo) has been increasing in value for the last several months. Not to the levels of 2015, but they are getting there. In fact, both the water-cooled (997.1 - 997.2) and air-cooled 911's have been doing very nicely.
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

The 997.2 turbo, or the normal with a manual -- these are strong. It's only my opinion, but I think part of the reason is that Porsche lost the plot with the 991. It's too big, doesn't look right from some angles, the seven speed manual is a compromise and isn't anywhere as nice as the virtually perfect 6 speed, and now a lot of them have stupid digital dashes. But that's only what I think.
Numberscruncher
Detailer

Nice to know my first gen Mustang is holding steady. 🙂 Of course she isn't going anywhere. 3 owners in 57 years, only two families.
dooscoop32
Detailer

I owned a '65 Mustang coupe for 18 years. I just sold it recently. One thing I noticed over the years I owned and displayed that car. Everybody likes Mustangs. They have a classic and pleasant look to them. And everybody has a story about them.

I sold it back to the gentleman I bought it from 18 years ago. He was young when I bought it from him. Since then he has gotten married. He has a daughter who is going to shows with him in the Mustang. And he said she has such a great time doing that and just cruising in the Mustang. And she tells her dad to be sure to pick her up at school in the Mustang.

I'm really glad the car went back to a family like that. And he has promised he will keep it forever. I am sure he will.
miata93
Intermediate Driver

I think that the variety of Mustang models and the availability of parts also help them to hold their value. Great story.
OldFordMan
Detailer

I still can't believe the swing in price for the 80's Mercedes 123 turbo diesel sedans! I bought a very nice and loaded one-owner '84 for $3K at a 1996 auction (window sticker new was over $36K).
Now they are selling #2 for over $30K.
The bounce back is real.
Piper
Intermediate Driver

C6, C7 and C8 Corvettes have been going through the roof.
KYColonel
Intermediate Driver

C4-C7 Corvettes are safe bets if one does their proper research. I don't buy cars as investments, but I like cars that Corvette3.jpeg retain much of their value. At this point, I consider the C5 to be the best value-for-dollar sports car for people looking for fun factor on a budget.

mfp4073
Detailer

Right now everything is going up! Makes no difference if its a classic or not. Throw the books in the dumpster and enjoy the ascendance. But, The real fun starts when the market stabilizes, supplies of new return to normal and the "you know what" hits the fan, as all the speculators and investors who stockpiled cars begin to get nervous and everything goes up for sale. For many it will be like the stock market crash of "29". For me it will just be another day of cruising, because I have never bought a classic car for the investment. True love is my motivation when it comes to our 4 wheeled girl friends. (Though some might argue that cars are masculine). In that case.......Thanks for the articles and more to come.
fredwhyzer
Pit Crew

Speaking of Mercedes Benz. I bought a 2008 C4MATIC Capri Blue/Beige interior when I turned 60 and only drove it 2500 miles. It sits out in my barn and I think I would like to sell it. I'm thinking i want to buy a 4-5 year old Rolls Royce if I make it to 80. With used cars selling like hot cakes I think my Mercedes should be worth $32,000.00. Any ideas out there? The car looks and smells new. I would not be making a plug nickel by selling it. Just adding to the Rolls war chest. (fredwhyzer@aol.com)
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

The 930 Turbo is the car to buy right now. Looking at the chart, seeing that the bubble already burst on them 5 years ago, and then it bottomed out a few times since, I don't think you can go wrong if you really want one to drive and enjoy with a likely rise in value. It was pumped up to unsustainable, unrealistic numbers during the bubble which didn't make any sense, so don't count on those again.
Jocko
Pit Crew

I think there has to be just one message here. If you play the speculation game in cars that dog is gonna bite you one day. Cars like the Mustang and 911 (not all but a lot) maintain a certain intrinsic value because they're just short of cult classics. Like a Model A Ford, they never go away. The worse you will do is the rate of inflation so a mainstream collectible is always a safe bet. The days of the no mileage original 70 SS 454 LS6 for .25 on the dollar are gone. Thank TV for that. The good thing about TV is increased transparency and added interest in the life, which in broad terms is a good thing for those who've held out for a couple generations. Nice addition to your retirement, but unless it was you who found that no miles LS6 a long time ago and kept it that way a boost is all you probably get.

What stays on top? Let's call it "The Real" for lack of a better term. How about a Dietrich bodied Packard 12? Model J Duesy anyone? Auburn 12 Speester? Ferrari 275 GTB? And so many more, The Real that never goes away. Talk about a hedge against inflation! What was that 275 worth in 1992? And today? That's not for everyone but if you love the life it certainly shows the health of the market when they still hammer for 7+ figures. Ever think a well done 65 GT350 copy would bring $65K? When The Real is almost too valuable to risk the beating it deserves that's a smart move. At the end of it all GET WHAT YOU LIKE. That enthusiasm is contagious when you're out lovin it. When the day comes for it to change hands you can't lose. That's how I see it, FWIW...
ConfuciusRacing
Detailer

Jocko, Well said: GET WHAT YOU LIKE
If there's a few bucks in it when you sell, good on ya.

Ownership Experience costs money...generally.

Cars are a depreciating asset.---> Most of the time.

So enjoy the car, drive it, smile. Life's short.
chrlsful
Instructor

don't most of us want the models w/low volitility - that's what makes them so. You have given us a circularity. Not much use - unless U are out of your regular territory and doing a buy (rare? yes, now the auction of cars, the net sales occur, much more so). Prices are so sky hi (compaired for when wages were more inline with goods) that I may have to buy something out of my typical wheelhouse (different than the 2 of the 'big 3' I use, different era is not so difficult, different model, car instead of truck, or 'sports rather than muscle, etc). On the other hand, just bein a car guy can tell me much of this. "Yes" the 123W MB wagon will work out if certain prts (the most expensive ones in the rig) are OK on a reasonably priced one (leveling system, etc). Bird cage on a vette, etc. These are not my usual "buy low, drive/restore, have a free ride for awhile."
Maestro1
Instructor

James, well done. I still think the market is overheated in general.
Tsaxman
Detailer

I never lost money on a collector car until I overbuilt one and sold it when I didn't really want it on the market.

When I just bought and drove my Mustang, Shelby and Ferrari, and sold them when I wanted to, the steady market growth, intrinsic value of a great car and occasional inflation always made them solid investments. Only really wealthy folks can "buy low and sell high" in the collector car market as if they were commodity futures.
Ragtop69
Intermediate Driver

Eh, let's see, a commercial for old German cars and a bunch of incomprehensible graphs that benefit whom? The car flippers and traders who aren't real car guys? Thanks Hagerty.
MBardenwerper
Pit Crew

I think it strange that Citroen never gets a mention. We all know that SM's have had a long standing reputation as a valued car, though their prices have stabilized in recent years. 2CV's are continuing to rise in value. But the star of the show has to be the D series. I bought one unrestored in 1997 for $2500, a solid Texas car that had great potential. But that was closer to the price of a running one back in those days. Now a D in fair to good condition is going for around ten times that much, with some models, notably DS Pallas with hydraulic shift are approaching twenty. Injected models are even higher. The cabriolets are so valuable that a cottage industry has cropped up for clones. Despite their reputation of complexity, they are utterly reliable in the right hands, there is a very robust support community and they were built to aircraft precision. And, no one is derided the style anymore. They were ahead of their time when they were introduced in 1955, and finally, other carmakers are catching up!
Braveheartwalla
New Driver

Do you know the value for a 356a, 1959 hardtop convert?
craterface
Pit Crew

Hey thats my TR2. In my driveway, before I sold it. Miss it.
Bigtim
New Driver

So what’s up with the old school Mazda rotary prices