cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

3 cars up for auction at Amelia Island that you didn't know existed | Hagerty Media

Next month's Bonhams' Amelia Island Auction will bring together many of the usual suspects-Porsche, Jaguar, Cadillac, Volkswagen, MG-as well as a few marques that may be completely unknown to you. Bonhams, which postponed its Florida event in March and rescheduled it for May 20, recently unveiled the auction's first group of prewar and vintage cars.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/3-cars-at-bonhams-amelia-island-auction-that-you-didnt-know-e...
28 REPLIES 28
protodite
Intermediate Driver

Boy that Godsal is realllllly pretty
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

WOW! Very nice
NightRanger
Intermediate Driver

The Inter State is right-hand drive. When did left-hand drive become standard in N America??
CarlJensen
Pit Crew

It was an evolving process for different manufacturers. One of the last to change was Stutz who maintained outside shift levers on their Bearcat models through 1922. For 1923 they moved shift levers to the center of the car and also changed to left hand drive.
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

All three of these are cool. I would love to own the Atlanta and the Godsal.
Punk
Detailer

I agree! I would gladly put either of those rare beauties in the garage. I have a thing for limited production vehicles that have guts form more mainstream cars so that you can actually keep them running. (thus, my Sunbeam Harrington). The Inter-State is such an interesting story. There are so many start-ups like that which seemed to have to potential to change the industry, only to flare-out after a few years. Someone's dream crashed. Sad. But interesting.
drhino
Instructor

I agree with protodite; that Godsal is gorgeous. Achingly beautiful.
MajorTomB
Intermediate Driver

No mention of Wayne Carini restoring the Godsal? It was a great episode of "Chasing Classic Cars".
Studenorton
Instructor

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e9/b9/2c/e9b92c50d0dadfffaafee32583455e90.jpg

Link to a still shot of McCallum and the Godsal from the film. It doesn't look bad at all in that livery, just not up to the current standard. Have to admit, McCallum looked better then too. He's only 87, and has been on TV since 1953.
aircor
New Driver

Those are some beauties.
40Ford
Detailer

Really, only 50-hp from 389.9-cubic-inch in the Inter-State?
Lightning1
Detailer

110 years ago 50 HP was a big deal. Torque and reliability were what they worked for then.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

The compression ratio of engines tended to be around 4:1 at that time. Gasoline octane was between 40 and 60 until Phillips introduced 66 octane in the early 1920s.
DonT
Pit Crew

Now i know why it was called Phillips 66. Thanks.
DonT
Pit Crew

My 1985 Nissan Sentra made 69 hp @ 5600 rpm. Not exactly a big leap in technology for a 1.6 litre 4-banger across 74 years.
Eric1
Pit Crew

"Upon [Jerry] Old’s retirement in 1993, he moved to Kansas City and stored the car again." Indoor environmentally controlled car storage used to be an incredible bargain in Kansas City, and may still be for all I know. There were huge underground so-called limestone quarries (they were called quarries although they were actually completely underground) where the humidity was very low and the temperature only varied by a few degrees year round. After they were mined out, they were available for lease as storage or for other uses. There was a small underground shopping mall in one. When I was a teenager in Kansas City in the late 1960's, a Thunderbird enthusiast who lived down the street from us had thirteen T-birds stored in one of the quarries.
dough
Intermediate Driver

Yep, the underground caves here in KC are aplenty, and I happen to have space in one of them where I store my classic cars and projects as part of my small classic car business. The constant temp and humidity is great for the cars, but the dusty environment makes it essential they be thoroughly covered at all times.
Eric1
Pit Crew

That's interesting, I left Kansas City in the late 1970's and I was curious about whether they still store cars in those caves. If I may ask, what's the name of your classic car business and what do you do?
KyleYarber
New Driver

Actually I knew about the Godsal and wrote about it for Kansas City Car Action Magazine when it was on display at the final Art of the Car Concours in 2016. It was red then. I talked with Jerry Old for a long time who shared with me the entire story of the car... all except for one detail: the agreed-upon price for its upcoming sale. He said it didn't want to jinxed the deal.
He sure didn't.
Eric1
Pit Crew

I wonder if the Godsal was the first time the big-American-V8-in-a-British-sports-car-chassis paradigm that's been repeated over and over was implemented. I don't know of any that would have been prior to 1935.
BillHanlon
Intermediate Driver

Replace the brakes on the Atalanta with D-Type brakes and loose the yellow paint. Perfect car.
Zephyr
Instructor

Photo # 21: I see the car still has its original carburetor adjusting tool.
mwmyers91
Detailer

The Godsal is a piece of art and just explodes the word cool
Dinubadave
Pit Crew

Beautiful cars! I have a 1929 Roosevelt coupe made by the Marmon Company
jrhume
Pit Crew

The Marmon name is still alive. Marmon-Harrington of Louisville, KY builds heavy duty four wheel drive units. I had to go to their facility to pick up parts. I told my boss that the company was probably related to the Indy 500 winner. He thought I was crazy. Sure enough when I entered their facility there was a huge portrait of the Wasp behind the reception desk.
DonT
Pit Crew

Did Dodge copy that RGS Atalanta grille for their Charger?
TG
Instructor

Moral: if you spend 300K hand-building a car, it comes out better than a Safarikar, and it hangs around long enough... it will be worth it
Bill
Detailer

The Godsal is pure sex.