cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$3.85M 1965 Shelby GT350R is the most expensive Mustang ever

Back in January, we wondered if any Mustang could beat the Bullitt’s momentous $3.74M sale. Six months later, the first-ever GT350R prototype answered that question with a resounding yes. With a final price of $3,850,000, the Wimbledon White fastback became the most expensive Mustang ever sold at public auction.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/3-85m-1965-shelby-gt350r-is-the-most-expensive-mustang-ever/

Replies (12)

Replies (12)

My father, Russell Fish, owned and raced that car to a B Production points championship in the Southwest Region in the late 60s and sold it along with spares and a trailer to a buyer in Mexico for $2500.  The engine had several unique components which included neoprene buttons on the piston skirts to reduce friction and Dykes piston rings which were designed for motorcycle racing.  The piston ring would seal under compression and retract slightly on the down stroke to reduce friction as well. My dad won every race except for one which he took second because of a flat tire. The car was brutal. Although I didn't have my license yet he let me lap it at Austin Raceway Park before he sold it.

Passenger

Incredible price for an incredible car. I don't have a problem with price paid. Our hobby and things closely related to it are all based in history. Without cars like this we don't have that and what car guy or girl isn't interested in where things have been? Oh, and no, this car is not going to launch the price of your basic 1965 Stang into the stratosphere so there's no point in the beaten to death statement of "it's ruining the hobby". No, it really isn't.  

New Driver

That's a big number but at least you have something of value. Sure beats paying $500M to someone for throwing a football!

New Driver

I saw this car auctioned on TV this past week; and as the owner of a 1969 Shelby GT350, I fully agree with Colin Comer's remarks about this historic car. The VERY FIRST GT350 ever raced - and driven by some of the best known American race car drivers at that! Even the signatures inside the trunk will never be duplicated ever again!

Pit Crew

What Engine powered it?

New Driver

Great Story The corvettes were no competition for these Flying Mustangs. Shelby and Miles were an unbeatable team. Who can compare to either today? Fair Price, for this is what a real collector that knows the history did pay. Enjoy your new Shelby I'm envious. 

New Driver

The value of it trickles down to automatically increase usual 65-66 Mustangs a minimum of 10 grand.

Passenger

I was at Green Valley Raceway in 1965 and owned a 65 fastback, white a on white with V8, 4 speed, not a 350, but I wish I still  had it.

Don't we all.

Passenger

Where is R5001?

Passenger

Where is R5001?

Passenger

Did it stay in this country?

New Driver

Did it stay in this country?

New Driver