cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

$25K black-sheep Ferrari project car: Interesting or insufferable? | Hagerty Media

"I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." Winston Churchill's words are ringing especially true in my ears, because I'm using them to justify the $25,000 I just spent on a long-dormant Ferrari. Some people read books to learn. I get my hands dirty.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/25k-black-sheep-ferrari-project-car-interesting-or-insufferabl...
16 REPLIES 16
Swamibob
Instructor

Hello Larry:

I think it's a great idea to buy any sort of project you like and get out there and git er done! Now, I will courteously, and respectfully disagree with you on that Dino being a Ferrari. That's a Fiat Dino. Calling that a Ferrari is like calling a 924 a Porsche. 🙂
That said; you're in it cheap and you've got all kinds of fun ahead of you during the re-build. I wish you well!
Dino308
New Driver

As wonderful as the Porsche 924 is, it does indeed suffer from having an Audi sourced motor..
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

Yeah, that's a solid point. That, however, begs the question: Where does an automobile's DNA live? Is a Lotus Elise a Lotus even though it has a Toyota motor??
JohninNC
Detailer

A Toyota motor in a Lotus sounds like a dream come true! Imagine a turbo supra drivetrain in a Lotus Esprit!
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

Thank you. I'm in the camp that the Dino is a Ferrari. Of course opinions vary, but the Dino V-8 and the basic frame survived in the 308 made famous on TV. That car is, of course, badged a Ferrari.
OptimusPrime
Intermediate Driver

With all due respect, Ferraris don't seem to be Swamibob's forte. The Fiat Dino was a whole 'nother Fiat-badged vehicle. There was a coupe and convertible version made with 2-liter and 2.4-liter engines. The convertibles are worth, on average, around $100k these days... some Fiat, eh? Even the coupes are worth about half that.

You could call this early car a Dino 308 GT4, sans Ferrari moniker, and you'd be correct. Ferrari ultimately brought the Dino line into the Ferrari fold by the end of the GT4's run.

People used to tell my father the Dino 246 GTS he bought for $30k in the '80s wasn't a real Ferrari. He didn't mind, we'd always refer to it as a Dino anyway. Of course, today he could trade his Dino straight across for multiple "real" Ferraris.
Tim
Advanced Driver

The answer lies not in people's emotions, but in the VIN. Does the car have a Ferrari or Fiat manufacturer VIN? If it has a Ferrari VIN, it doesn't matter that the Dino used to be Fiat. If it has a Fiat VIN, it doesn't matter that it eventually became a Ferrari.
Chip
New Driver

I don't care, that thing is cool! I dig a lot of the oddball Ferraris. OTOH, It'd be a lot cooler with some real horsepower. Where's my Sawzall? Imagine rolling up to C&C with an LS3 barking out of that baby. Mmmmmyeah.
relton
Intermediate Driver

I'd like to see how this project progresses. I suspect that there will be a lot of stories before this car is done.

A few years back I bought a Bentley for roughly the same reasons, and had some interesting lessons in British/German car engineering.
blownmiata91
New Driver

Hello Larry
Congrats on starting this project. Very cool car. I would guess that most of the armchair purists out there have never even sat in a cool car like this. It is way too easy to be a critic in this digital world.
cheers
Doug McDougall
https://driving.ca/lotus/auto-news/news/in-the-garage-a-by-the-book-lotus-seven-replica
markvii1
Intermediate Driver

I have been a "promiscuous" car owner since I started driving 15 years ago. So far I've owned 13 cars including three 1997-98 Lincoln Mark VIIIs, a 77 Ford F-150 ranger, 88 Ford Bronco, 1980 Fiat Spider 2000, 1971 Olds Cutlass, 2019 Hyundai Sonata turbo (my wife's but a truly awesome ride anyway), 04 Silverado, 88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 91 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer, 01 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, and a 98 Expedition. I started with Ford products and learned my way around the toolbox with them but have since branched out to anything that looks like a good deal, can be at least hand cranked, and isn't consumed with rust. From my standards I'd say that was money well spent. Take the badges off the 308 and it could easily be any one of Bertone's more famous styling adventures from the 70s and 80s (Lamborghini Jalpa, Fiat X1/9, Alfa Montreal, so many more). I can't wait to hear about your adventure with it! Congrats!
Krippel
Pit Crew

The styling of the 308 GT4 has really grown on me lately, especially when fitted with later 308/328 wheels like yours.
Good luck with it; I’d love to follow along with the progress!

witz
New Driver

Larry, great looking Dino! Love the euro bumpers, and looks great in black.
Ferrari came out with the Dino 308 gt 4 2+2 to compete with the Porsche 911.
It has a longer wheel base than the regular 308, which makes a handling car.
I also have a 75' GT4 I got mine about 5 years ago. I'm a big fan of these cars. I believe they are a bargain now for about $50k. Mine is fully sorted and makes me smile every time I take it out for a drive on Mulholland. A lot of engineering has gone into this car. Niki Lauda tuned the suspension.

ChevyDave
Intermediate Driver

First Ferrari I ever drove was a 308 GT4 (the day I passed my driving test actually!) and it was truly an eye-opening experience after having cut my teeth on big-block American muscle cars.
Once behind the wheel, your ears and seat of the pants will never be able to tell the difference between a 308 GT4 and 308 GTB/S.
As the author is surely aware, these Bertone beauties are starting to get the respect they deserve and prices are starting to creep up. Hope to see your project updates over on FChat.
ElMatador
New Driver

Larry,
By those pictures, it looks like we are neighbors.
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

That was the seller!