cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

2022 Super Bowl car ads: Touchdowns, field goals, and fumbles

So much time and effort go into prepping for the Super Bowl. There's brainstorming, planning, assessment, and adjustment-and sometimes readjustment. Even when victory seems assured, sometimes the big game arrives and things just don't go the way you'd planned. Know what we mean, Irish Spring? Wait, did you think we were talking about football?
https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/2022-super-bowl-car-ads-touchdowns-field-goals-and-fumbl...
106 REPLIES 106
coshproductions
Pit Crew

If I had to watch one more ugly electric car commercial, I was going to electrocute myself.
johnmarchiando
New Driver

Your are 100% correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VintageRacer477
Pit Crew

Get used to it. Once the USA gets the needed infrastructure, BEV's will outsell gas & diesel powered vehicles as they are on their way to doing in Europe.
Davidb
Intermediate Driver

The only areas in this country where the "European model" of which you speak will be used are the extreme coasts. EVs have no future as anything other than commuter pods. Storage batteries will not power America, No society has ever relied on their severe limitations. This one isn't about to start a fad. The proliferation of them will end when the realization sets in that land-fills will not accept them. Americans LOVE anything we can throw away. The minute that feature disappears the desire to BUY it goes with it.
Iso_Grifo
Instructor

Once they slap enough phony "carbon taxes" on fuel like they have in Europe, an artificial market manipulation like that might happen in the USA, too.

And that's the problem with this whole EV thing. It's fake. It's not a result of natural market forces. And just like any fake economic system or market, it will collapse eventually.
Rider79
Technician

Well, maybe, and maybe not (I kind of hope not, myself). But...they don't have to be so UGLY, as many EV's are. Look to Tesla Model S, the Porsche Taycan, the Lucid Air, and a few crossover EV's, to see how EV's can be attractive!
Kewina50
Intermediate Driver

Fossil fuel forever! Period.
Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

They all sucked especially the EV commercials.
db2sub1
Intermediate Driver

EVERY one of these commercials was better than that sorry ass half time show.
TA76
Detailer

Not by much.
DMcC
Detailer

Welcome to generation gap - did not do a thing for me.
1xsnrg
Pit Crew

I thought the same thing. Obviously the half time show was aimed at someone else. Not me. On the other hand, the Doritos ads are always good. I miss the Clydesdales in the old Bud commercials too.
JohninNC
Instructor

The halftime show was aimed at people between the ages of probably 28 and 50. Our crowd had it pumped up- ages between 38 and 50 with a 60 thrown in, he liked it too. I'm 48 and loved NWA, Easy-E, Public Enemy, snoop dog, Dr. Dre and all that music back in the day, and now my kids even like it- clean no bad words versions of all the songs are on youtube. I loved Motley Crue, Metallica, ac/dc, classic country music and all that too.
MustangJim
Technician

Hey, I am 67. My kids we're convinced I would change the channel. But, my wife ( older then me but more modern) , who loved the E Kia, made me watch it and while I am not into rap, it was a good show. And it was clean and family oriented.
Kewina50
Intermediate Driver

What the heck is Anheuser doing by not using the Clydesdales? They're becoming a bit too "woke" for me! Pity.
Jr1
Intermediate Driver

Not just a generation gap... A racial gap. Black women jumping around in their underwear like a gentlemen's club show, and black men talking in semi-rhyming notes, to the beat of drums. And the one white guy trying to act like he's Black. And the censors with their finger on the switch to prevent the foul language from getting sent out to all the little kids who were watching the show. The game was OK for a while, but the officials saved their yellow flags for the final 20 seconds of the game to give their choice of teams the win. I should have taken the day off to wash my car.
Rick2
Instructor

I called my dad to ask what channel he changed it to for half time.
Oldroad1
Gearhead

Thanks for the critique. While missing every commercial, I'm thankful I missed the half time show too.
Rider79
Technician

"Rap is crap" has long been my belief. At its best, it is good poetry. Usually, it is a waste of time. And in no sense is it actually music.
ROBBO99
Detailer

Loved seeing the sopranos kids reunite !!
JPTL
Intermediate Driver

Jeff Peek made a good point: the premise of the ad was lost on a huge audience. Although I got it immediately, those who didn't watch enough Sopranos to remember the intro. and recognize the kids, were scratching their heads.
I witnessed this first hand. Half the room that saw the GM EV commercial during the SB last night were saying "I don't get it." Then a discussion of Sopranos was started, then a discussion about what series are binge-worthy...all shifting the focus away from GM's major EV announcement.
JPTL
Intermediate Driver

Noticed 2 VW Things in 2 completely unrelated ads. I wonder if used Thing values saw a boost after those two ads...
Mark_AJ2X
Intermediate Driver

Ha! Exactly my thought at the time! Two "Thing" viewings on TV in less than an hour's time has got to be a record for this century.
Sonnymccut
Pit Crew

Which ads? Missed it, would like to know so I can watch!
Kj6
New Driver

My comment after the ads was "I think the value of my Thing just went up!"
DMcC
Detailer

Saw one but missed the other - need to search. thx
VintageRacer477
Pit Crew

I was very surprised to see one Thing, much less TWO! Cool!
joesurfer
Intermediate Driver

Hey Toyota, we understand the sadness of people with macular degeneration and all the other diseases that people have, but save us the proselytizing, you're a car company.
gyashko
Intermediate Driver

Honestly, I found the commercial moving in and of itself, but it certainly didn't give me any reason to consider a Toyota as my next purchase.
Kewina50
Intermediate Driver

Exactly correct!
Kewina50
Intermediate Driver

Amen.
Kj6
New Driver

Gotta go with taco bell featuring the Thing, but I may be biased since I have a '74. Vroom also had a Thing cameo.
When was the last time you saw a Thing in a commercial let alone 2 commercials with Things!
Didn't care for the dancing on the classics hoods at halftime.
Studenorton
Instructor

Mad Ave types, inside their bubble, often make ads for "Things" they don't know they're advertising. In the hours of run-up coverage, all sorts of media and celebrity types tooled around southern Cal in classic Southern Cal cars -- Cadillacs, Corvettes, a whole fleet of low riders, what have you -- while the whole narrative screeches on about how we must make those illegal. They're missing the real message, and getting paid for it, too.
hyperv6
Racer

Sopranos Chevy commercial was the only one I thought was not strange.
bruold1
Intermediate Driver

Worst commercials I have ever seen, A six year old could have done a better job, what a waste of money.
Tinkerah
Engineer

The worst you've ever seen? Link me to some of your favs. Especially if they were done by a six year old.
espo70
Advanced Driver

I disagree on the Kia commercial. Maybe I'm a softy, but that little Robo dog melted my heart. But if we're going electric, my first choice would have to be the BMW commercial with Arnold. Amusing enough, and who can deny Selma Hayek in a toga?
Javman
Intermediate Driver

As a proud Canadian, I was extremely happy to see the large contingent of Canadians featured in the commercials. Eugene Levy, Catherine O'hara, Mike Meyers, all superstars. And kudos to Toyota for featuring the McKeever Brothers, a great symbol of inspiration when the world desperately needs one.
tfishoc
New Driver

They all sucked! Is this the best the auto industry can do? I won't be rushing out to purchase a new car based upon what was displayed. Maybe they should turn back the clock about 50-60 years and see what they can learn!
SS396
Intermediate Driver

Just ask Don Draper!!
ChrisKennedy
Pit Crew

I was surprised how lame they were----To me they all seemed to be relying on the mere fact that celebrities were in them and nothing else. One that seemed especially poor was that one with Mathew McConneghy.
DMcC
Detailer

Yeah, my wife is a fan and had to ask me who that was.
Daniel
Intermediate Driver

The electric doggie was cute. The halftime show was crap.
JAG
Detailer

Watched the 2023 Avalanche...sorry Silverado EV commercial, didn't have a clue who they were. Notice how nothing else was charging? After the explanation here I hope they had a long lunch so that it got recharged for the trip back to NYC. So what happens if someone unplugs the vehicle?
Klattu
Pit Crew

There was a football game?
TheModelCitizen
Detailer

Mr. Negativity checking in here. I did not watrch any of the super bowl. I have to say I am sick of these professional sports leagues giving a political forum to "hate USA" athletes and turning a blind eye toward (or just not caring or outright colaborating with) foreign nations with far worse human rights violations than you see here.

Incidentally, I think playing the national anthem at the beginning of sporting events is a bad idea. Sports should be about entertainment, pure and simple. The anthem just gives certain unhappy individuals a forum to annoy others.

So to answer the question....sorry no favotite ads here.

Tim
Technician

I'm just going to pipe in and say that wanting to improve a situation is not an either/or thing. It's possible to improve our own country while simultaneously using our position to get other countries to improve as well. We can leave the specifics of *what* should be improved to another place.
OldCarMan
Instructor

Like the Olympics? Hah!!
Geok86
Instructor

BINGO!!