cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

2022 GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 revealed

After five months of pandemic-related delays and numerous teasers and videos, GMC finally showed the Hummer EV pickup to the world. Although the edges have been smoothed, the styling rings true to the Hummer brand that we last saw in showrooms in 2009 ...

Read the full article at Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/2022-gmc-hummer-ev-edition-1-revealed/

54 REPLIES 54
hyperv6
Gearhead

This is an absolute home run. This is the kind of image vehicle people will pay more for and earn GM the ROI back on their investment to drive prices down so they can make profitable EV vehicles at lower prices.

The only real problem is Hummer is going  to set the stage for Cadillac and their EV models.  It they are going to face a tough challenge to top Hummer. Anything less will be seen as a disappointment. 

If anything it has made the Tesla Truck look like a Fisher Price project in styling.

Germanicus
Intermediate Driver

While putting as much HP as a Bugatti Veyron in a vehicle that big and tall with EV power delivery might not end well for the first owner, it'll be a boon to hot rodders looking for a donor. 

Shanman83
New Driver

$112k umm yea good luck with that! Talk about a ridiculous price point...

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

It seems that the $112K ones are already spoken for.
avanti5010
Pit Crew

So this is what we get from GM for saving their sorry a$$ with our taxes? Another oversized, overpowered Goliath for pickup truck cowboys who will terrorize our roads, jam our parking lots and tear up the earth.

TomPettylives
Pit Crew

Spoiler
Spoiler

Everyone forgets that GM repaid the government LOAN back early with interest. The tax payer didn’t GIVE GM anything, GM cut fat, cut their losing division (sorry Pontiac & Olds), keep their employees, rebuilt their reputation and built a Super Car cheaper than Europeans. SO Damn right! And worth every penny.

jsfury
Intermediate Driver

I wouldn't give you 12 cents for that thing!

Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

Cool looking truck. They'd sell great if 1) they were priced like a regular truck 2) had a gasoline powered V8.

JohninNC
Advanced Driver

OK follow me here- what about a vehicle like this, smaller and lighter- the size of a 1st gen tacoma double cab, with a fuel efficient engine and 6 speed manual, low frills, low fluff, low price point.  I'd love that!  This design looks nose high and fat/ thick to me.   Bring back the mini-truck size!   

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

The problem with trucks like that is that nobody would buy them. Ford and Chevy offered cheap, manual versions of the Colorado and Ranger and they couldn't find buyers.
MajorTomB
Intermediate Driver

I look at that first picture, and I can hear Paul Hogan from "Crocodile Dundee" saying, "Now that's an EV!".

Gpopp
Pit Crew

Saw the President of GM talking about it this morning on TV.  He kept mentioning it having "broad appeal".   I get it that he travels in a different economic stratus than my friends and I do but $112,000 is not what normal folks pay for a truck.   And having been an off-roader, I suspect very few people who buy one will take it very far from the country club.  Real off-roaders know they are going to scrape the paint and ding a few things and doing that to a $100K+ shiny toy isn't very realistic. 

Viperpbw
Passenger

Interesting.  I am looking at a new Ford Raptor at $86k.  But it doesn't have half of the specifications that this truck has.  Looks like it could steal away some Raptor buyers.  1000 hp and 2 feet of waterfording??? Nice.  

DT3
Passenger

Hey guys, look at the webteaser, this is a "Simulated vehicle" no glass, steel, composite found here. Only a teaser. 

Islander
Intermediate Driver

Kinda looks like the CAD program they used to design it - a tech look with zero personality.

I don't know exactly why, but I do not get excited about plug-in vehicles.

I am sure some clever group of engineers can build an ICE that's efficient and non-polluting, something that won't have a half-ton or more of battery that someday will turn into toxic waste

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

"a tech look with zero personality." It sounds like you're describing the CyberTruck doorstop.
artwisc
Pit Crew

Too many corners on the dash.

scorp589
New Driver

Some stupid Americans will buy anything.   

iraceone
Pit Crew

So... GM is going to save the planet by building 1000hp massive heavy vehicles that are the least energy efficient way to build a EV. How much coal, NG is it going to take to propel this down the road.  And how much rare metals to make it all work.  I don’t see this solving their climate hoax... but since it’s a hoax I guess it doesn’t matter as it will only cost the consumer more. 

Tim
Instructor

Well, it's not going to sway me from a Bronco. Not the least because I could buy two well-equipped Broncos and still have a five year supply of gas (for both!). One hopes GM plans to monetize the R&D money spent on this niche product and bring the technology to other models in its lineup.

An inter

JustBob2
Passenger

Great commercial during game 1 of the World Series. I was, however, disappointed with the disclaimers. (Not available till fall of 2021, options as shown may not be available, images are digital representations (which means nothing they showed in the commercial was real).  

JAG
Intermediate Driver

I was slow to believe Tesla was the runaway leader in electric vehicle's but after Porsche released their new all electric and but most accounts it not as good as the S game over.  This beast a cover up for GM's inability to compete with efficiency.  Right now all they can sell are SUV's and Pick ups so they make this to put in an oversized battery to get a minimally acceptable range.  What happens with a load, worse pulling a box trailer?  How about when you run out in the off roads in the back woods?  Maybe an option will be a 5000w gas generator!

Thunder69er
New Driver

I for one would not take a $112,000. vehicle off road!  It's a nice truck but the price is the stratosphere.  

greenhue
Pit Crew

The common thread people say is this is too much money for a vehicle that is hindered by a power cord instead of gasoline. It is a niche market for this vehicle much like a vintage Ferrari is to some. Difference is the Ferrari will be worth $$$$ in the future while this will not be worth what a Prius is in 2025.

tahend
Detailer

Oh yes, you will see these on every street corner in anytown USA,,,,NOT!!!!

Browndog
Passenger

Really?, 80k for an unproven "cheap" one , when the Tesla is 50k? 

garycocch
Passenger

Its as ugly as the Avalanche was and over priced!

spark123
Detailer

It's another power guzzling, polluting pig.   Not green by any stretch of the imagination.   I don't get it.  

How much work can you do with it.   Wait,  that doesn't matter.

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

It doesn't matter how much work it can do because it's not meant to be a work truck.
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

Dang. I want to be excited for this thing, but man, it looks clumsy to me. Not sure why they thought the old Hummers are/were valuable. Does anyone else think the truck enthusiasts look back on the old Hummer brand with found nostalgia? I think they should have done something more original, designwise. Compare this to the new Grand Wagoneer.

MrKnowItAll
Detailer

My take: GM understands that the status value of higher price will possibly take some virtue-signaling  status thunder from Tesla, whose cars are now getting “long in the tooth”. The Tesla “truck” is no competition.

Jeep, years ago, wondered why Land Rover was taking sales from the Grand Cherokee, and their finding was that the Land Rover cost more money. Period. 
GM missed the mark by selling the Volt as a Chevrolet.... it should have been a Cadillac. 
This time, they might have it right... if it delivers.

Copbait73
New Driver

Two words: What The F**k!

audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

So, an "energy-efficient Hummer"? 

Kind of like Orson Welles playing Nick Charles; (do the Google searches already...

Maestro1
Instructor

It's absurd.

dblinton
New Driver

Can't help picturing some poor soldier out on the battlefield looking for a place to plug in and recharge.

jbarone01
Pit Crew

As the former owner of a Big H2 SUT and current owner of an H1 HUMMER Convertible, I welcome this new offering from GM to their lineup.  The people who bought (and are still buying) the H2's and the H1 HUMMER are not price sensitive.  Period.  If the new truck is anywhere close to the impressive specs presented in your article, it should do good in the market place.  BTW, I also own a Chevy VOLT and have no idea why Chevy discontinued making that car.  It is simply a superb vehicle.  I also own enjoy several Corvettes, so I not a "tree hugger."   I just appreciate performance and power no matter what form it takes.

Sajeev
Community Manager

"The people who bought (and are still buying) the H2's and the H1 HUMMER are not price sensitive."

100% true, even now in the used car market. 

VancMike
Pit Crew

The original Hummers sold well....until everyone who wanted one had one.  Then sales nosedived.  This will do likewise.  Had an acquaintance who had a Hummer 2, but sold it because his wife "didn't like being ridiculed."

64jeepsrt
Intermediate Driver

Super Golf Cart...FORE

boat880
Passenger

$112,000?  Absolutely bizarre.  How 'bout a Tesla or Rivian for half the money and likely twice the quality.

964c4
Intermediate Driver

Yuck. So sick of electric/coal vehicles.

Dave404
Detailer

Ok GM. You have our attention. Now can you please build a Cadillac XT5 EV? And don't change the styling!

DT12
Pit Crew

A better GM introduction date would have been 4/1/2021

Spuds
Advanced Driver

Wow,did they spend 15 dollars designing that dashboard? What a monstrosity.

OldRoad
Instructor

Good luck finding a charge station out in the sticks. Not impressed.

farna
Detailer

As noted, electric vehicles solving climate/environmental issues is flawed logic. I wouldn't call it a hoax, just not well thought out and what people perceive... not scientific fact. Save in one area, but increase in another... "a wash" for the most part.

Back to THIS vehicle... It's meant to be a technology booster or demo halo vehicle. Practical enough to get enough buyers to make it worth the effort to build and sell, but not a huge mass market seller. What it does is kick-start the technology though. Like it or not, we are moving toward more electric vehicles. Even disregarding the environmental fallacy, there are advantages, even for hot rodders. Once over the battery expense, modifying is pretty easy. Mechanical engine skills don't come into play, you have to learn a new set -- like ohm's law and some other basic electricity and wiring.  Dropping in an electric motor is easier than a mechanical -- takes up less room and there are no leaky lines and hoses to run. The battery issue is the main one -- still expensive even if using bulky lead-acid batteries. And packaging for those is difficult, and less range. But getting into the 300+ mile range makes electric vehicles more practical, though wiring a home for the quick charge could be a problem. I wonder how many amps that takes? If charging at night during low demand it may not be an issue. I don't mean just low demand on the powerplant, but on your home electric service. Most have 200A panels. If that quick charger takes half of it you should be okay at night, but in the daytime you might throw your main breaker if the AC unit (or two in larger homes) is on and you try to bake something in the oven or start some other amp hungry appliance while your car is charging. Maybe the charger is smart enough to only draw the surplus over what other things are using. Would take longer to charge if a lot was on, but would be safer.

Gopher_Baroque
Intermediate Driver

Agree on "halo vehicle", like the very first Tesla Roadster. I am not expecting this Hummer to be a big seller but generate a lot of splash (like this article!)
With EV looking like the upcoming "normal", I included a 50 amp circuit in my new shop to accommodate an EV charger in the future (and be generally future-proof with two 200A panels!). Existing house has only the single 200A panel, as you note. It also has several drop-out relays as part of the back-up generator system. I wonder if that would be the trick for EV charging from a limited service panel - turn on too much something else and have the charger automatically drop off for, say, an hour, then switch back on after the other loads have reduced.
I can see modding EVs to become like building computers at home - mostly reading product reviews to find the best components supplied by others. Assembly oriented to plugging into standardized interfaces, although some adaptation is not uncommon. How nice for us if EV takes a similar turn with standardized battery and motor specs for plug and play. It can be satisfying (having built several PCs from scratch) but a distinctly different experience than making a modified vehicle from inspiration and a pile of disparate parts. I know OEMs like to control the customer experience with proprietary designs (and I'm looking at you, Tesla!) but have at least agreed to common computer elements (OBD port and many sensors) to allow independents to repair vehicles. The same system could be employed for EV-specific components, under the guise of streamlining pre- and post-processing of the environmentally-impactful elements.
jtw37
New Driver

What!? That is one of the many ugliest vehicles I've ever seen. What are these designers smoking!? It isn't only GM that has lost touch with the people, but every one of the manufacturers have totally lost touch. Bring back the 50's and 60's designers. At least they looked like a car or truck and you could tell what company built them. Unlike today, I can't recognize any of them. Get back to basics!

Gopher_Baroque
Intermediate Driver

One thing to consider with today's styling are (pedestrian) safety and fuel mileage requirements. These drive toward a smooth-ish exterior surfaces and not much space (thickness) between inside and outside. It is hard to be distinct with only a few inches to play with the form. Those amazing swoops and trim details from the 50's and 60's benefited from a much larger design space (so to speak!) to move metal around and no real concern how it might interact in a collision.