cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

2022 Bull Market List: 10 collector cars primed to take off this year

Without wishing to strain the limits of understatement, this has been quite a year. Far into the future, economists will still be debating this roller-coaster ride, with its supply shortages and price spikes and disappointing employment numbers, despite help-wanted signs seemingly everywhere.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/bull-market-2022/
85 REPLIES 85
RickL
Detailer

I hope the day does not come that I cannot drive my 560SL or my Fox bodied Mustang because I am worried about value, that won't happen mine already have too much mileage on them to be worth much as I DRIVE them. Majority of these vehicles are very appealing to me, would liek to have a Lotus sometime or a Dino or a ...
wirekat
Intermediate Driver

I have a 560SL as well but when it rains, I just drive the Porsche. Value doesn't concern me as I just love to drive them.
cj92345
New Driver

6 of those car are gonna have trouble passing smog in california and this is the king of car markets..
pre 76' only
LamboEd
Detailer

I have always liked the Dino 246 GTS. But it is hard to believe it can go up anymore considering it is a V6! But it is a stick compared to the paddle crap being produced today. I wish I had bought one, or a whole bunch, when they were giving them away at 25K! I would also like the Pontiac GTO!
noah300g
Intermediate Driver

I guess I'll count my blessings as none of these really do much of anything for me, so I can save my cash.
Numberscruncher
Detailer

The Caddy and Mercedes are nice, I'll pass on the rest.
82spider
Pit Crew

Nice job Colin. but as a spider owner in love with Fiat's Dino (same engine) I would never "completely dismisses the fact it was assembled by Fiat." Back then, they knew how to build engines. As thousands of first-gen spider owners would agree.
Daves1800
Pit Crew

One tidbit about the Volvo 245 is that it's a "Swedish Cargo Carrier" as in slide the refrigerator right in. Did exactly that multiple times. And the cargo box on the roof *with* the bike carrier and four bicycles on the roof.
thetossedtool
Intermediate Driver

You can fit the world in a Volvo wagon!
MichaelB
Pit Crew

What a great grouping of cars. I was happy to see the "Pagoda" Mercedes-Benz as I think that car is artwork in all of its forms. I sold a 230 a few years ago at a Gooding auction that was so original I had become afraid to drive it. I replaced it with a wonderful 280 that I could drive often, but now with care it too has gotten nearly too nice to drive!

I am not complaining though, as the market is crazy good, as is the Pagoda SL. Enjoying it!
imavettin
Intermediate Driver

wow! only 1 of them is a muscle car, and the best muscle car in my opinion. i've owned my 66 sedan since 1982.... 389 tri power 4 speed , manual brakes, manual steering, (only mod is... manual disc brakes, much hotter cam and re-jetted stock carbs) ....I love it
Maestro1
Technician

If I was concerned about what my cars will be worth when I go to sell them then I should be a car dealer. I frankly don't give a damn about values. I buy cars I like, give them what they need and drive them. In a half century I've never run out of people wanting to buy them when I'm ready to sell. I am profitable in 89% of transactions. I am in a Hobby, not marketing and sales. I will say this: I'm glad to see Volvos gaining ground, after so many years of rejection; I just sold one, and I'm sorry I did that. I should of kept it. Wonderful bricks. Expensive to fix. You are so right on heater fans........
I wish all Hagertys Happy Holidays and good health.
OHCOddball
Advanced Driver

Hate it when the 'investors' get in and run the prices up. Enthusiasts bidding against each other is bad enough. I have a 1969 Firebird with original OHC 6 and manual trans. It's a 30 year old mediocre restoration (Taiwan Camaro 1/4 skins>>that was all there was then), a non-stock paint color and poor floor patch job. Rest is in VGC. Paid $6500 in 1999 and now NADA classic car value says low retail $12,000, average retail $25,000. Will I sell because the $ is up? NO. However, I wish I still had the 69 Chevelle with 307 PG, no power anything. I got when I was 16. It was 10 year old 50k miles one owner then. Kept it 14 years and sold in 1993. It needed everything, but now with the value and all the new reproduction body parts out there, I could have afforded to do it. Hind sight 20/20.
hyperv6
Racer

You know it hurts to pay more for parts but it is satisfying to be rewarded with increased value of making the right choice when no body cared. 

I have a Pontiac just now seeing some increases in value. I bought it because I liked it not for value. At the rate things are going I will see more than my investment coming back. I will not sell it but it is nice to see it be worth something. 

Rick2
Instructor

I had a 1989 Samurai red soft top just like the picture. It was not that slow but I was coming from a Festiva with only 68hp. It was the perfect vehicle to drive through the tight Michigan trails. But the ride was harsh probably contributed to a medical issue I developed at the time. And I sold it after putting it on it's side during a blizzard.
hyperv6
Racer

To say bull market may be a bit much here. 

The Dino  has already seen bull gain and I expect continued growth but at a slower pace. Pretty it is but fast it ain’t. 

The GTO is a buyers market right now as I have seen some really good deals in the last year. Prices have been soft on good restored models being sold by older owners moving on. 

The Benz is a Benz and with. Two seats there is always a market and growth. 

The RX7 it is all about condition. It is difficult to find one in good condition. But if you do it will add to the value. I don’t mean a fixer upper either. 

The Land Rover? Not much of a player in the states. 

The Volvo is a cult car. You love it or hate it but if you love it you will pay. Again condition is king as it is not worth restoration. 

Porsche 968. Just go for the 944 Turbo. More of them and more parts. Also better looking for the VW Porsche. 

The Tesla. Buy the Lotus if you want more engaging fun. But like buying old Apple computers I am sure Tesla collectors will pay for this mess. 

Now the Suzuki. Again condition rules. 98 percent of them are best to hell but still running in tough truck competition. They rusted they flipped over but they always ran and seldom got stuck. I have a buddy with one that is like new. I hope they go up for his sake as it was his fathers and it means a lot. 

The Cadillac. If the roof drops the price goes up. What else can you say. 

STLUCIEAPPRAISA
Pit Crew

Have to disagree about the Land Rover. Huge niche market.
erne75
Advanced Driver

I'm having a hard time believing that car enthusiasts are shelling out $100k for a Tesla roadster...
You can buy a lot of ICE car with that money and it is not gonna be another boring and disposable techno-gadget on wheels...
MichaelB
Pit Crew

I have a Ferrari, and Pagoda SL, a 911RS, and 912, and Dodge Dragcar, and E-Type roadster, and Cayman S racecar and a 917 Porsche project, and NASCAR stockcar... Plus a Tesla. I walk by all of those pretty often to get into the Tesla. Its not just a disposable techno-gadget fine sir. Please try owning one before casting disparagements. 

Oldroad1
Technician

Own a Tesla? When the battery goes dead it'll own you.
MichaelB
Pit Crew

That is just not accurate. I am on my second Tesla Model S. My 1st had 8% battery degradation after 85,000 miles (and 5 years) of maintenance free driving. My new Model S has 1020HP (Plaid) and no degradation in sight. Look, I don't need to convince you (no need), I just want you to be better educated is all.  Its coming. I am just an earlier adopter than you. 

RedRyder_SFZ
Detailer

Still “That” guy
MYTFAST
Intermediate Driver

Always good to prove your point is to include the original cost of the vehicle, cost for home recharging setup & separate electric consumption charges during the 5 yr. 85,000-mile-usage. Reason for buying another (like avoiding battery replacement?) and what did you spend for a new model & how much was your older vehicle worth? Any specific inconveniences noted during ownership (like visiting areas with limited charging access). These are the things we'd all like to know. Most folks living in cities with tight row home housing, (even if they have a charging unit installed) cannot ensure they can get a parking space in front of their charging station or the liability / risk of having their charging line running from their rowhome across the sidewalk to their car.
RedRyder_SFZ
Detailer

“That” guy
RickL
Detailer

What a wonderful collection you have. Do you drive them or better yet exercise them "rest is rust, motion is lotion", not only for vehicles, but our body as well, or are they more or less art or investment to you?
I believe you are correct in your assessment with the current trend, that electric, and or my hope hydrogen (to keep ICE) is the future of propulsion of the future. However, with so many fossil fueled vehicles, farm implements, chainsaws, lawn mowers, etc.. petroleum will be around until at least this 60 something leaves this earth.
MichaelB
Pit Crew

@RickL thank you for the note. Yes I drive them all. Even the Stockcar! In the summer months the 911RS sees weekly travel, that goes for the 912. The e-type goes the distance to shows mostly, but those events are often. The Pagoda probably sits too much as it is most inconveniently parked but I get it out on quiet Sunday mornings. Sometimes the Ferrari is my daily for a few weeks a year. There are even a few others (that went without mention) that get driven often too. I drive them all as its my therapy.

I think ICE units will be around a long time too. But my prediction is that we will be taxed on them in the future ~ enough to limit the use of them. Pretty probable.
STLUCIEAPPRAISA
Pit Crew

We have been fortunate to have been mentioned often in the Tesla forums. These positive reviews have resulted in an incredible amount of work from a select and appreciative clientele handling both total loss disputes and diminished value claims. I believe that the S Model will make it onto a list like this some day.
F360Spider
Detailer

The first exotic car I saw up close was a 246 Dino. The owner of the apartment complex I lived in (Miami) had one. I drooled over that car. No way I'd ever own one and I can say that today. Instead, I got the next best thing: A gated Ferrari 360 Spider. It pulls all the same levers as the Dino, except I can afford it and more importantly, fit in the car. The Dino is a very, very, tiny car. I tried sitting in one a while ago and it was like sitting in a Miata. I guess Dino was not a large fellow.

Gated Ferrari 360 Spider in Azzurro California / Crema

360_Side_Fountain.jpg

MichaelB
Pit Crew

Azzurro is my favorite Ferrari color. It looks great on every model. Well done, bravo. 

BossGreg
Detailer

Any Ferrari but red is so much more special and more exotic. You nailed this one just right
Andretti
Intermediate Driver

GTO Value Comparison graph shows the ‘66-‘67 prices compared to Mercedes models.
😕
thedesertraven
New Driver

It looked like an error when I saw it also.
Didn't it have the GTO flat for 10 years at roughly $60,000 but then showed the Hagerty Value at 100 to 129,000?
DBrown
Pit Crew

The chart posted for Pontiac GTO shows values for Mercedes 230!

MARK400
Detailer

What.....no Pacer station wagons or Gremlin X`s ?.... And what about a 1977 Cordoba with Corinthian leather seats ( apologies to Ricardo Montalban ). That`s when you know your living.
Studenorton
Instructor

I know the feeling, buddy. My cars didn't make the list, either.
TG
Technician

One of my first forays into collector cars was a 68 Coupe DeVille. After discovering that it's rough idle and performance issues were not tune-up, but rather two burned valves, I learned that not having your own garage doesn't work when attempting engine work. I sold it at a considerable loss. It's nice to see that they are still approachable
RedRyder_SFZ
Detailer

I was on a skiing trip with my family 8 years ago at a rental house on Copper Mountain. I was sitting on the toilet checking the Mecum results for a little car I’d fallen in love with called a 246 GTS. It was silver over red and sold for $190,000…..what a deal back then.
Love those cars. They’re the best looking car Ferrari ever made(or didn’t make, depending on your POV)…unfortunately, they’re somewhat unattainable for the average RedRyder.
964c4
Detailer

Great list except for the Tesla, what a complete turkey.
MichaelB
Pit Crew

Not so long ago the 964 was looked upon as a turkey my man... Its undeniable that electric is becoming more important than you are giving it credit for. 

acooper529
Advanced Driver

After spending 50+ years in the automotive business, mostly performing P/M and repair, I ask this. Who is going to maintain and or repair these vehicles? Are any parts actually available?
It's your choice as to what you like, but you MAY want to actually DRIVE one of these vehicles? The Pontiac and the Caddy would be the easy best choices of cars that could be maintained and ready to drive on a regular basis. Just a heads up to the younger generations.
acooper529
Advanced Driver

Wanted to add a BIG READ FLAG on the fake GTO's that are out there. I have seen first hand at least one shop/Dealer that did this on a regular basis for years. Hearing it is one thing but seeing it yourself is quite another. Some will do anything to make a buck. Do yourself a BIG favor and just pay up for a fully documented example of whatever you buy... INCLUDING ALL GTO'S, real or fake.
Vcdoorco4
Intermediate Driver

While we’re predicting the future…if we can still get fuel in 20 years, I’m thinking a Subaru BRZ will be a hot commodity. Low volume fun car in a world of SUVs. Don’t seem to be flying off dealer lots. But what to I know, I’ve sold enough currently collectible cars in the past to give Jay Leno a stroke.
550Spyder
New Driver

Aaron, What was the motorcycle?
Rider79
Technician

Lots of potential here. That said, I can't see the Volvo ever becoming really collectible. Out of these, I like the SL, but would hold out for a 280SL. My year for a Caddy convertible would be the 1966; the lines were cleaner than the 1967.
Rider79
Technician

There was a good reason that Consumer Reports named the Samurai as "Not Acceptable", and that reason has not changed over the decades.
OldFordMan
Advanced Driver

Send all the Brits, French and Italians back on the boat. German and Japanese yes-ok to stay.
GoFast
Advanced Driver

DeLorean, who of course hogged the credit, merely approved engineer Bill Collins idea to drop the externally similar 389 V-8 into a LeMans intermediate. Jim Wangers's add copy made that concoction an overwhelming success.
janedon
Advanced Driver

All except one of these were very Expensive when new--so of course they are Expensive as they age-
Lash
Intermediate Driver

Still selling the nonsense that the GTO was the first muscle car, eh? I expect better from Haggerty.