cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

2021 Bull Market List: 10 collectible cars (and one motorcycle) on the upswing this year

Hagerty ardently upholds the philosophy of “buy what you love.” When that love intersects with cars that are appreciating, so much the better—you might just be able to buy what you love and also drive it for free, which is surely proof of a well-lived life.

Over the past four years, that’s what Hagerty’s Bull Market list has been all about: highlighting fun cars, across a variety of budgets and tastes, that we believe are poised to rise in value over the next 12 months. This isn’t a get-rich-quick list for flippers; it’s a tipsheet to help enthusiasts get their cake and maybe eat it, too. And it’s informed by our analysis of all the market data Hagerty has at its disposal.

This year’s collection is as varied as any we’ve ever assembled. Its diversity reflects how easy social media has made it to discover, learn about, and fall in love with vehicles from nearly every age. The number of later-model cars is also a reminder that the past two decades have been a renaissance of sorts for design and performance.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/bull-market-2021/

79 REPLIES 79
Sutton12
Pit Crew

Finally! The Vanagon Westfalia gets recognition. The 1991 (final year) Vanagon Westfalia Syncro was Volkswagens crowning summit. It's all been downhill from there.

roadio55
Intermediate Driver

I fell in love with a silver XK120 in the early 1970's. It was immaculately restored and had the small windscreens. I was just a teenager but I went out and bought a shop manual, dreaming of the day when I would own one. I jumped right to that part of the article and when done scrolled slowly to the price. Alas, it was just a dream. I recently decided to step up and buy a new Jaguar (three syllables). That's as close to the legend as I can get without winning the lottery.

sharkguy48
Intermediate Driver

Audi TT?  A chopped VW Bug with a little more performance.  Looked around and questioned Audi owners finding out that the "build" on these cars was scetchy (sp) and used prices artificially high.

clubhousedavid
Passenger

Your "build" comment is right on track as my TT keeps me busy under the hood.  However, the joy of driving it and the quick response of the twin turbo is a blast.  Also, the timeless appeal of the lines draws attention wherever it goes!!

jksail
Passenger

The TT has a stock single K04 turbo, not a twin turbo. The Audi TT takes its name from the successful motor racing tradition of NSU in the British Isle of Man TT (Tourist Trophy) motorcycle race.

llawrence9
Intermediate Driver

NSU also marketed a Prinz TT. And TTS. VW AG may own the trademark.
drm101
Intermediate Driver

SRT GC's can be found for $15K or under. Maybe not #2 condition, but they are out there. I just hope our '05 Hemi Limited will catch the tails of the SRT and start increasing in value. Right now they seem like bargain basement prices for the caliber of vehicle they are. I'll take one any day over an old Grand Wagoneer, and Grand Wagoneer's are crazy expensive. 

dreamingeagle
Intermediate Driver

believe there is an old Spanish proverb that says take what from this life, but pay for it;

JasonFromCT
Pit Crew

Early 4.3 Vantages have certainly bottomed out.  I saw a nice 07 who's only "flaw" was 77k well maintained miles, go for 29k from a dealer.  Steal.  Even if you needed to put a clutch in it at the 5-6k dealer price, you'd still be in the black.  BUT, keep in mind if you pay more for a low mileage example, you will still probably be saddled with that expense eventually.  Clutches on these cars had a very high/short engagement point, and lots of owner unwittingly ride these clutches into an early grave.  I think they are amazing cars though, and (for an exotic), about as reliable as it gets short of a 911.  They've got a hood, so you can work on them.  Parts are available and can be cross referenced to equivalent Ford/Volvo/Jag parts so save money.  I bid too low on that one that went for 29, and I regret it every day.

MT
New Driver

Good list but cant believe you missed the 91-92 early model Lamborghini Diablo. Compared to any pre 2000 model Ferrari, this is far less costly to maintain as it doesn't require an engine out for timing belt replacement every couple years as Lamborghini used a timing chain. Also a well sorted restored 91 Diablo is currently running around $160-190K, which according to Harrys Garage in the video below is currently the best bargain for an Italian exotic as its selling for 100K less than a Countach, far more enjoyable to drive and positioned well to appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrplqE9bUB8

Greg_I
Advanced Driver

The Diablo was actually covered in the 2018 Bull Market list. https://www.hagerty.com/media/valuation/the-bull-market-list/
auto-mark
Pit Crew

While I like the Audi TT (as well as all the other vehicles cited), the first thing that comes to my mind is a German friend's retort about the early models' high speed stability issues (which required the addition of a rear spoiler after the fact):  "What do you expect when you try to make a sports car out of a Golf?"  

777AIA
New Driver

My Porsche 914’s (4 cyl) are up almost 300% in 2019-2020, based on resales. Not sure why they don’t make your top 10. Smile,

Greg_I
Advanced Driver

That’s because were featured on last year’s Bull Market list. Gotta give some other choices their time to shine too.

V70RSPG
Passenger

6 to 2 three pedal vs two (not counting the bike) - I guess enthusiasts still prefer a manual, getting harder to find on today's car lot, but who would want what is currently out there?

joepalmer
Pit Crew

Would have hoped to see BMW E21 3 sharknose series (1977-1983) as an affordable entry level alternative to the 2002 and E30.  Thanks and Merry Christmas

70sKid
Pit Crew

Jeez, enough whining people. This is Hagerty’s attempt to highlight a diverse cross section of vehicles that they feel will perform well during the upcoming year. Nowhere was it stated that this is a “top 10” list as there are plenty of better performers to be had out there (be that performance physically or financially based). This is simply their annual attempt to achieve the impossible task of finding a little something for everyone.

Apparently there are a number of insecure, close-minded Hagerty customers out there who are only happy when they see mention of the vehicles that they own. As a gear head I find just about anything with wheels to be interesting (whether it has two wheels or four). I tip my cap to you folks at Hagerty for doing your best to bring interesting content to what is obviously a customer base with a dizzyingly wide array of vehicles. Based on many of the responses you’ve received this far,  I believe the phrase that is most applicable to your predicament in this particular case is “damned if you do and damned if you don’t”.  (For the record, I don’t own any of the vehicles chosen for this year’s list.)

zmega
Pit Crew

Many good choices here IMHO.  Top of my list would be the Aston, Jag, and Land Cruiser.  Never a fan of the Audi - of its direct competitors (Boxster, BMW Z3/4, Mercedes SLK), I would put the Audi last.  Would a moderately tall person even fit in it?

pinkbelly
Passenger

That Jaguar XK120 is something I've lusted after ever since the movie ANGEL FACE. Jean Simmons (I think) backs it up fast and goes over a cliff into the ocean. I don't know what year it was, but it was a black and white movie and I'm now in my 80s. Still lusting after the XK120, but I do have a 1995 XJ6, which is more of an old lady's car.

Tomwas
Pit Crew

Saw a 04 or so Ford gt at a cars and coffee a few years back... Doors were side open, the owner telling kids to get in an check it out.. Car had 75k miles on it, he got it to share and drive.. Was very cool to see..

ESB19SS
Pit Crew

. . . so muscle cars are dead?

Greg_I
Advanced Driver

No, not in the least bit. However the days of the pre-2008 frenzy may very well be behind us. Muscle cars are still incredibly popular, cool and valuable but values have remained stable for the most part. Not dead, but not necessarily poised for rapid growth in value either.
U14Bronco1971
Passenger

Mostly foreign cars listed which speaks volumes, negatively, of American Auto manufacturers. 

PhillipinSD
Pit Crew

Good list.  I have been following the classic and collector car auctions since 2014 and see the same trends as the writer of this article.  I know some readers think this is popularity list which it is not.  Different people all have different opinions as to what they would or would not pay for a used or classic car. I have my preferences too, but I don't insure these older cars.  For example I still don't know why these  90s Land  Cruisers  go for such high prices since let's face most of these are just used 1990s SUVs.  Yes they were well built to last like just about all Toyotas, but they just aren't sexy.  Only serious car people know they really sought after.  Again true for the VW Vanagons from the 1980s.  Just not my cup of tea.  But it seems everyone else and their brother wants one of these.  Regardless of my likes Hagarty again came out with good list of older cars that might be worth holding on to are even purchasing at the right price.  As far as picking cars in the less than $15k price range, well that's primarily personal preferences.  I'm know their are some very excellent choices worth investing, but I doubt a company like Hagarty specializes in this range.  Although I'm sure they will insure these if they met their value requirements. BTW their collectors car insurance is much different than the normal auto insurances companies like Auto Club and State Farm

Judys-1974Vette
Passenger

Having gone to my first SCCA race in 1958 and my last in 1995, having a husband who raced Can-Am, SCCA, at most all major tracks in the USA,  I enjoy reading about the cars that I have seen and known about.  Keep up the Good Work.  Plus my 1974 Corvette loves your insurance.  

Yarbles
New Driver

Good luck finding a sandcast CB 750 for those prices.

Speedraser
Pit Crew

The V8 Vantage -- absolutely wonderful cars. Mine is a 2009 Coupe, manual 'box, that I've had from new. It was the fulfillment of my Aston Martin dream, which began when I was about 5 years old (I still lust after a DB4). These are truly special cars, fantastic to drive, to look at and to own. After more than 11 years, every drive is still an event, and I still turn and look at it every time I walk away. About needing the Lucas Replacement Smoke kit, that just perpetuates the inaccurate notion that these cars are unreliable. My car has been completely reliable. That is not an exception to the rule. They have no fundamental, serious weaknesses. Yes, clutch life can be short but, as always, that's largely down to the driver (and yes, reverse gear is tall). I know of cars that have needed a clutch in under 10k miles, and others that have done well over 50k that are still on the original clutch. Routine maintenance is expensive, as are parts, but they rarely go wrong. Early cars did have some teething issues, but these were largely solved by '07-'08, and even more so with the 4.7L cars from '09. About the engine, it isn't just a "version" of the Jaguar engine. While it was "based" on the Jag engine, the Aston engine has its own, unique block, crank, bearings, rods, pistons, rings, heads, cams, valves, etc. -- essentially the entire engine is unique to Aston Martin. At current prices, these cars are extraordinary value for money.

ChevyDave
Intermediate Driver

Westphalia’s have been steadily climbing the charts for a while now.

While the darling of Boomers and investors, IMO Westphalias are really a one-trick pony; everything that makes them a great camper sucks bits and pieces out the overall joy and versatility that Vanagons are capable of providing. Westphalias only seat 4, have a narrower cargo bay, and their increased heft really dulls the driving fun.

The Wolfsburg package on the other hand  (or the rare Multi-Van package) seats 7, sleeps 3 (4 for the Multi-Van), has a fold-out table with individual rear-facing one-button removable middle-row seats, a full-width cargo bay, and believe it or not, in 2.1 guise with its wider wheels and tires, enough juice to be enjoyable, keep up with traffic, and exploit the incredibly well-balanced chassis. Contrary to being a negative, the “sitting over the front wheels” only enhances the sense of the Vanagon’s short wheelbase and your perceived immediacy with which it responds to inputs...put plainly, I think they’re a blast to drive.

I had the pleasure of driving a Wolfie for 25 years and trust me; if you needed to name one “Desert Island” vehicle - one that could haul cargo and people, return decent fuel-economy, and still provide an enjoyable drive - you’d be hard-pressed to name one with the overall chops of a Wolfsburg.

Nice thing about the Wolfie is their much lower price of entry too...which leaves enough budget to spring for a really nice ice chest and camp stove; the two things a Wolfsburg lacks compared to a Westphalia.

beeser
Intermediate Driver

Do you know they made a Wolfsburg edition Westphalia?  I have an '84, and it has the middle row bench seat for a total capacity of six passengers, though the middle seat is abbreviated to make room for the sink/refrigerator assembly, must be removed in order to use the camping functions. The Wolfsburg Edition also included upgraded seat material (velour), two-tone paint and a tachometer. Mine came fully outfitted with air conditioning and automatic transmission (I've since converted it to four-speed manual). All-in-all, probably the best of both worlds for running the carpool during the week, and popping the top for a weekend with the family.

fastcharlie
Pit Crew

Great memories in these articles. And an interesting array of vehicles shown, especially the Jag XK120.
Any thoughts as to why the Datsun/Nissan Z prices are rising so rapidly? I had heard that was about to happen last year, but wow!