cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

20 rock stars' cars: For those who love to drive-we salute you | Hagerty Media

Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding for the main act of the night! These rock stars started off life in the band van, served their time on the tour bus and jumped out of limos at red carpet events. But after breaking into the big time, what did they spend their royalties on?
https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/20-rock-stars-cars-for-those-who-love-to-drive-we-salute...
110 REPLIES 110
franimal007
New Driver

Did you ever hear of Jim Morrison? He was in the DOORS? Every hear of that band? They did a song called, "Light my Fire" if you know that song, then you probably heard of a famous car he owned. It is a mystery what really happened to it even today. A 1967 Shelby GT500. Ever hear of one of those cars Hagerty?
sclin10
Detailer

I love the 'LA Woman' video of him driving a Shelby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiAQPABgHA&ab_channel=FlyingDutchman
jekirkbride
Pit Crew

The Eddie Van Halen collection wins.
(Disclosure: The others were better musicians.)
Tinkerah
Technician

Not gonna get into best musician with you (I already know we'd never agree) but the coolest thing about Eddie's collection is that Miura was a wedding gift from Valerie. He drove it regularly.
Darkforce
New Driver

I'm a Mustang fan, can't believe that Jim Morrison's 1967 Shelby GT 500 is not on this list.
Reatta
Pit Crew

Rock comes from Rock and Roll. The biggest name in rock and roll history is Elvis. So you didn't even consider all of Elvis's wonderful cars. There are enough that he owned to fill multiple spots.
If you only mean "Rock" then just choose your favorites from these "dead heads" and second rate artists.
I would suggest you do a list of all music artists also. Please include great cars and great artists only.
Thank you.
Tim
Instructor

Obviously there is only so much space in an article like this, though a mention of his collection and those remaining at Graceland would have been in order.
triggerguy
New Driver

Brian Johnson (AC/DC) still drives "Thunder Guts", a 1928/29 Bentley on a daily basis.
mags56
Pit Crew

1. Rappers are not Rockers. Whoever Birdman is he shouldn’t be on this list.
2. How do you compile a list like this and not include Roy Orbison? He had one of the greatest collections ever, including a 1972 Mercedes 600.

https://www.benzinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/pretty-woman-rey-orbison-mercedes-benz-600-1-...
Tim
Instructor

I think it was a mistake to repair the bullet holes in Elvis' Pantera. Originality, plus, it makes for a much better story than "there used to be...".
DUB6
Technician

Yeah, but anyone can shoot a hole in a Pantera - it takes talent to fix it and make it look good.  😁

GrumpyOne
Pit Crew

So Once Again... Studebaker gets the shaft eh, Hagerty??? What about Alice Cooper's Avanti???

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/the-crazy-story-of-alice-coopers-1963-studebaker-avanti-...

The above link provides 24 hours to read the whole story..

You're Welcome!!!
DUB6
Technician

Or Alice's "Welcome to My Nightmare" car?  (A kit of a '36 Auburn Boattail, I think)  That car is now in the SW Idaho area, and I've parked next to it at a few local shows.  Cooper didn't look like your typical gearhead, but he's had a very large and eclectic collection of cars over the years.

sclin10
Detailer

You chose the wrong Beatle for this article. Paul McCartney was not much for automobile ownership. Now George Harrison, THERE was an enthusiast!
Music_michael
New Driver

Interesting that the author omitted Freddie Mercury, arguably the greatest front man and male vocalist of all time and his Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow, which he loved
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

After watching the video, it's clear that the Van Halen Miura is the most valuable and significant car on this list. Considering what Miuras sell for these days, the unique factory one-off provenance, the rock star history, and it's an instrument in a timeless classic song, it's really no contest.
ogSVT
Pit Crew

A young Rod Stuart (Faces era) owned T W O Miuras at the same time, how’d that not make the cut?!?

Tsaxman
Detailer

Stewart.
ronbros
New Driver

CLARK GABLE ,,DUESENBERG ROADSTER!
Still443
Intermediate Driver

Which Rock band was he with? Clark Gable and the Cable Guys?
raoulduke
New Driver

Wait - what? Jim Morrison's 1967 Shelby GT500, the "Blue Lady", (co-star of his film HWY and celebrated in the Doors LA Woman music video) should be at or near the TOP of this list! Like the man himself, the Blue Lady - driven hard - missing and presumed lost 50 years ago.
RIP Jim & Ray: Your words & music still bring solace in these strange days - all these years on.
"Drivin' down your freeways/Midnight alleys roam..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osCdxHrgT14

sclin10
Detailer

Those that want 'Birdman' excised from this list, raise your hand.
DUB6
Technician

I thought Birdman was either a Michael Keeton movie, or a tattooed guy who played in the NBA.

raoulduke
New Driver

I didn't know of Birdman. I'm pop-culture illiterate these days. I just Googled Birdman. Decided to remain pop-culture illiterate.
drhino
Instructor

I saw the Joplin car a few years back at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. Hideous! Terrible thing to do to a great car. (As an aside, the PVGP is a great event. Lasts a week and includes vintage racing on the streets!)

Wasn’t the original “Eliminator” stolen? I seem to remember that.
twb930s
New Driver

How in the world could you have left Nick Mason out of this list. His Ferrari collection alone is legendary - never mind the other cars and his Le Mans and other racing adventures. For shame!!!!!
DoctorM
New Driver

I too used to believe the myth about The Moon driving a Shadow into his swimming pool, and there is a certainly rumour that he let one roll back into a pool by mistake. Never heard it called a Lincoln though. Daltrey says Moon certainly did not drive a Rolls-Royce into a swimming pool, but he DID drive a Chrysler Wimbledon into an ornamental pond. Where is your reference for the Lincoln story?
02-orignal-ownr
Detailer

Not terribly exotic, but a much more attainable rocker's vehicle: Bob Marley's square taillight BMW 2002. Bob Marley & the Wailers: BMW...
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

Great article enjoyed every bit of it. This is what makes reading about cars and owners so much fun.
Bullypit
New Driver

You should have shown Clapton's hot rods built by Roy Brizio in SF, more impressive than Ferraris...
MikeRogersUK
New Driver

I missed the piece on Pink Floyd’s Nick Mason… His car collection merits an article on its own. Is a Ferrari GTO interesting to anyone? He invested in cars before it became fashionable. I should really love to hear more from the man himself if possible?
Wendigoboy
New Driver

In addition to LincVolt, Neil Young owned other cool old cars. He bought a 1948 Buick Roadmaster Hearse in Winnipeg in the early 60's while playing in one of his first rock bands, Neil Young and the Squires. Neil called the old hearse "Mortimer Hearseburg (Mort)" and drove it with his band to play in Fort William, Ontario (now Thunder Bay) where he met Stephen Stills and formed a friendship that eventually lead to Neil joining Stills in the iconic band "Buffalo Springfield". Mort died in Blind River, Ontario while Neil was on route to Toronto and wrote the song "Long May You Run" as a tribute to Mort.
MI1800es
Pit Crew

Y'all COMPLETELY MISSED Jeff Beck, as noted by others. I've got an AutoWeek from the 1980's that featured him on the cover, and extolled his rare collection. Here's another testimonial- https://www.hotcars.com/jeff-beck-guitarist-car-guy-extraordinaire/
MI1800es
Pit Crew

And in addition to Sir Paul McCartney (who has more than a few remarkable 'CO2 producers'), we shouldn't neglect the inimitable Iggy Pop...
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/lifestyle/article/iggy-pop-cars
RW68RSConv
Intermediate Driver

For Elvis you chose the Pantera and not the BMW 507?
27stutz
New Driver

Lots of great knowledge here in the comments! Yes a glaring oversight that Nick Mason was left off the list. Hey but does anybody know who on this list owned a car that won best of Show at Pebble Beach? Clapton is a former owner of the 1936 Lancia Astura Pinin Farina Cabriolet that won in 2016.
chrisbye
Pit Crew
GilbertVehServ
New Driver

Jazz great Herbie Hancock should be included as he purchased as 1963 Shelby Cobra brand new, drove it daily for years and still owns it. https://youtu.be/x1SQn4stkXA
mvsignorelli
Pit Crew

Thought for sure Rod Stewart would be here given his two Muiras (one of which was featured with its V-12 wailing on the Never A Dull Moment track, “Lost Paraguayos”). He owned numerous other Lamborghinis and Ferraris.
mvsignorelli
Pit Crew

Sorry, Miura
mvsignorelli
Pit Crew

Dang, right album, wrong track. I just listened and it was actually the song “True Blue”. It’s a great song with a V-12 ending.

ToniFHarder
Pit Crew

How about The Cars’ drummer David Robinson‘s DeTomaso Mangusta? His teenager dream car come true now he’s finishing the restoration. Back in the ‘80 I used to play bass in several minor local rock bands but that never bought me much more than beers. Anyway it was good fun. I bought my cars by more mundane jobs. But of course I often dreamed of becoming some sort of rock star and spending my money buying as many classic cars I could.
gkz
Pit Crew

Hendrix's vette
jfrchevyguy
New Driver

Great article but you omitted Kenny Wayne Shepherd's impressive collection of Mopars: 2010 Challenger SRT8, 1969 Dodge Charger "General Lee" and more!
https://www.motortrend.com/news/celebrity-drive-kenny-wayne-shepherd/
Rich
New Driver

And the winner of the ugliest celeb hotrod is......................

Justin Bieber's Roller!
I'd post a pic if I could, but here's the link:
https://www.autojournal.fr/rolls-royce/wraith/video-rolls-royce-wraith-le-coupe-hallucinant-de-justi...
DUB6
Technician

Justin Bieber is a Rock Star?

DaveA
Detailer

Ace Frehley owned a DeLorean. IIRC he got pulled over in it while driving near White Plains, NY. It is in private hands now and currently undergoing restoration.
Sooz66
New Driver

Unfortunately you highlighted the most boring car registered to Paul McCartney (and the Mercedes wasn’t really his personal car, it was registered to his company). He has owned and driven many great cars including the Aston Martin DB6, a few Minis, a ‘69 Rolls Corniche convertible, Lamborghini Espada, 1929 Isotta Fraschini (which he used to chauffeur his daughter to her wedding), 1970 Land Rover (“Helen Wheels”), 2008 Lexus Hybrid, and last but least, when he visits the Hamptons he cruises his humble 1989 Ford Bronco.
Mike56
New Driver

I'm sorry but the minute I saw Billy Gibbons' ride all the others just faded into the background.... 🙂 lol
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

Why do people put 20+ inch wheels with rubberband tires on Continentals. Great looking car with too much wheel. It looks wrong to me.