cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

20 rock stars' cars: For those who love to drive-we salute you | Hagerty Media

Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding for the main act of the night! These rock stars started off life in the band van, served their time on the tour bus and jumped out of limos at red carpet events. But after breaking into the big time, what did they spend their royalties on?
https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/20-rock-stars-cars-for-those-who-love-to-drive-we-salute...
108 REPLIES 108
RokemRonnie
Detailer

Last summer, we ran an interview with Billy Gibbons about his cars:
https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/zz-tops-billy-f-gibbons-preaches-the-gospel-of-cars-and-guitars...
EastBayJay
Pit Crew

Of all those cars, I'd really like to know where Keith Moon's Ferrari Dino is? Would be amazing if it still existed with the damage...
sclin10
Detailer

It's likely this Dino went to the undertaker.... no ownership history beyond 1972...
matter
New Driver

Great list, but Nick Mason's 250 GTO tops them all...
FishT
New Driver

Whoops! posted before I saw yours .... !

McGuffin
New Driver

And then there's the V16 BRM. You don't see those every day, let alone hear them. The audio disc that came with his book "Into the Red" captures many of his most important cars "at speed".
Dad_jokes
Pit Crew

Right. Or his F1GTR, Bugatti Type 35, Birdcage Maserati.
How do you have a list of rockstar car owners and leave Nick Mason off. And if we are including more current artists, Jay Kay from Jamiroquai deserves a place.
MikeRogersUK
New Driver

Spot on! Just remind me how much they are worth? And he bought ahead of the curve!
MI1800es
Pit Crew

Nothin' like having a spare half/3/4 mil at the right time!
MI1800es
Pit Crew

Ya, and Nick's always been a hard core car guy!
Air_and_Water
Detailer

"If I could get all the money back I spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

Yeah, he's one of us.
DUB6
Technician

That quote does it for me - register my vote for "remove Birdman from this list and replace it with Nick Mason".

terryjudd
Intermediate Driver

Alice Cooper has a number of cars, but recently professed his love for his 1963 R-2 Studebaker Avanti that he has owned for some time. I had the opportunity to interview Alice Cooper twice when I was a newspaper reporter. I queried Alice about a rumor I had heard that he slightly re-wrote one of the most popular songs from the 1971 album “Killer” to include an Avanti. Sure enough, Cooper confirmed, on a European 45-rpm single of “Under My Wheels” the opening lyrics were revised to so the word “car” was replaced by “Avanti”. The change was:
“The telephone is ringing
You got me on the run
I'm driving in my Avanti now”
Tinkerah
Technician

Fantastic Cooper trivia!
MI1800es
Pit Crew

WOW! Whatta tidbit- Thanks!!
wardwd
New Driver

Swamibob
Instructor

Jeff Beck, unlike the rest of these musicians, builds his own cars! A serious Hot Rodder.
LuvGM
New Driver

Um..... Jeff Beck? His professed love of cars is needed on the list.
hb
Intermediate Driver

Frank Sinatra, Adrian Smith, Tupac, Tom Petty, Joan Jett....Jaguar XJS. Luxury and sport combined.
sclin10
Detailer

Frank owned some cool cars, including a Ghia.
DUB6
Technician

Frank Sinatra was a Rock Star?

dcJohn
New Driver

John Lennon’s first car was a 1965 Ferrari 330GT. I’m surprised you missed that one.
sclin10
Detailer

And all this time I thought it was that gawd-awful painted Rolls!
PopeSPS
New Driver

Props to Van Halen’s Lambo but you also need to consider the one driven by Myles Davis.

And I seem to recall Mark Knoffler having one heck of a garage of rare cars. There was a cable TV series in the early 2000’s (title escapes me, perhaps Velocity?) that showcased a great many of his collection.
DRKDGLR
New Driver

Victory By Design.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

One section of the clip of the Falcon van is reversed. Makes it look like the van is left-hand drive.
McGuffin
New Driver

A great list, but I'm really surprised that Nick Mason didn't make it. He owns, and has owned, any number of incredible cars, and has used many of them on the track.
bimmerfan739
New Driver

My vote: Brad Whitford's (Aerosmith) Gen 4 ZL1 Camaro that I almost bought at Corvette Mikes’s in Plymouth, Massachusetts. No T-tops or A/C, crank windows, tweaked by Reeves Calloway. Relatively innocent looking, definitely for Go, not Show. So rare I can't find a picture of one.
FishT
New Driver

How about Nick Mason (Pink Floyd) and his Ferrari 250 GTO? ....
Rspcharger
New Driver

The title says "rock stars"...... then you include some obscure rapper named Birdman, seriously? Not rock & not a star. Like all the others have stated, there are plenty of actual rockers that could have been chosen if you were that deperate.
jekirkbride
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info
I wondered how the Birdman got a car into Alcatraz.
sclin10
Detailer

LOL, it took me a second...
sclin10
Detailer

I had to Google Birdman...and afterwards I said to myself "Who cares what this sorry excuse for a 'rock star' drives."
autokunst
New Driver

Seems to me that Simon LeBon and his BMW CSL Batmobile should be on this list.
DAW1
Intermediate Driver

Who’s Birdman?
Tim
Instructor
mysterium
New Driver

Seriously...Nick Mason’s Ferrari 250 GTO's didn't make the cut? Really?
hyperv6
Technician

You list some lightweights here and miss some heavy hitters.

Mason, Knoffler, Beck, Hetfield, Hagar and others with much more established collections and often are seen as much a collector vs just a rich band mate with a car.

There are a number of rockers who really know and appreciate cars vs those who just use them as props for their image.
merlebalke
Detailer

Clapton may have a Ferrari, but he's also a very good customer of Roy Brizio Hot Rods.
MustangJim
Intermediate Driver

I did not know that. Thanks!
MustangJim
Intermediate Driver

I kept looking for Jeff Beck!
coop
Pit Crew

For me, Joplin's 356C Cab. There's a reproduction of it (the artwork) that shows up here annually at St. John's for "Battle of the Brands".
sclin10
Detailer

BossGreg
Intermediate Driver

What about Sammy Hagar. He's had some great cars. Not some of these new money people buying a new expensive exotic car, which to me is more about status than a gear head. Like Birdman's car and the fact you even named him when he is a Rapper. A real rock star car guy should have some songs with car essence. "I can't drive 55". "Red" album with a great Red T bird on the cover etc.
Tim
Instructor

"I Can't Drive" was probably responsible for at least one of my speeding tickets and stoked my long-time love of Ferraris.
DUB6
Technician

Anyone who didn't get - or at least risk getting - a ticket while listening to that song a max volume has missed out on one of the greatest thrills of motoring life...

justniz
New Driver

I can't believe you left out Nick Mason (PInk Floyd drummer). His car collection is to die for. Certainly better than anthing listed here.
franimal007
New Driver

Did you ever hear of Jim Morrison? He was in the DOORS? Every hear of that band? They did a song called, "Light my Fire" if you know that song, then you probably heard of a famous car he owned. It is a mystery what really happened to it even today. A 1967 Shelby GT500. Ever hear of one of those cars Hagerty?
sclin10
Detailer

I love the 'LA Woman' video of him driving a Shelby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiAQPABgHA&ab_channel=FlyingDutchman