cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

20 pairs of doppelgänger cars

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? If that’s the case, there must be plenty of automotive designers doing an awful lot of blushing, because we managed to outline a long list of cars that share more than a passing resemblance to totally different models. We’re skipping badge-engineered cars or captive imports—that’s just cheating. Without further ado, here are 20 sets of cars, trucks, and SUVs that look a lot alike, whether by accident or by intent.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/20-pairs-of-doppelganger-cars/

121 REPLIES 121
Passenger

In my dreams, I think of my 1972 Karmann Ghia convertible as a "poor man's" Porche ;-D

New Driver

Always thought the 98-02 SS Camaro front end looked like a 550 Maranello 🤷🏻‍♂️

Intermediate Driver

Almost every car has a doppelganger.  There's a lot more conformity than originality in the entire car industry.  Tesla is currently the only innovative company doing something others haven't already done.  They are not the first electric car but they are the first one to really make it work.  Chevy came close with the EV1 and you have to wonder if they shut it down because it was a threat to the largest car company in the world.

New Driver

SAAB Sonett III and the Datsun 240Z - twins separated at birth?

Passenger

How about Jaguar XKE & Datsun 240Z

Passenger

Fiat 124 Spider and Ferrari 275 GTS

Pit Crew

I dunno.  I would have picked the Porsche 924 to be matched with the Gen II RX-7, not the MOPAR product you show here.  I owned two of the RX-7s over the years and it was frequently compared to the Porsche, and several times mistakenly ID'd as the Porsche product.  (Having driven both, I would pick the RX-7, considering the cost of ownership.  If someone else was picking up the tab for maintenance, then the Porsche would be my pick)

Intermediate Driver

Good selection of comparisons there. The Rambler Marlin and the Dodge Charger was always interesting to me.  

Pit Crew

I've thought many a time to walk down through Porche Park at Road America and say: "He Kids, Look at All the Karmann Ghias"...