cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

20 pairs of doppelgänger cars

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? If that’s the case, there must be plenty of automotive designers doing an awful lot of blushing, because we managed to outline a long list of cars that share more than a passing resemblance to totally different models. We’re skipping badge-engineered cars or captive imports—that’s just cheating. Without further ado, here are 20 sets of cars, trucks, and SUVs that look a lot alike, whether by accident or by intent.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/20-pairs-of-doppelganger-cars/

121 REPLIES 121
Pit Crew

Crack is whack.

Pit Crew

Virgil Exner didn't mind when Ghia, which was building Chrysler's concept cars in the '50s, took his Chrysler D'Elegance show car and had Giovanni Savanucci scale it down for Volkwagen's Karmann Ghia.

Passenger

BEB,

exactly right! 

Today’s manufactures all went to the same wind tunnel testing site and came up with the same answers.

Same old same old today.

Boring as hell .

Passenger

240Z and Jaguar.

Pit Crew

I left for college in 1976 fantasizing about the Celica as my college car. That did not happen. By graduation, I had a friend with a Mach 1. He would park next to my 1956 Studebaker President 2-dr. near the entrance to the campus. Coolness! I don't see any scallops on that Mustang.

When I told my friends I was buying a new car in 2006, they asked if it was "the PT or the Chevy". It was the HHR (Heritage High Roof). 

Pit Crew

The 2000 Toyota MR is actually a direct lift of the MG F.

Instructor

I totally don't see the '55 Chrysler/'56 Volvo comparison, but the rest seem fair enough. 

Instructor

yeah, the '76 totally was more like a Mustang. 

New Driver

Take a look at the 1983 Mercedes G Wagon 280 and the 1985 Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero).  Mitsubishi almost compied the G-Wagon completely in lines and dimensions. Also the dashboards were almost identical. The MBZ G-Wagon won the 1983 Paris-Dakar rally then in 1985 Mitsubishi won with the Pajero and basically owned that rally for years to follow.

New Driver

Take a look at the 1983 Mercedes G Wagon 280 and the 1985 Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero).  Mitsubishi almost compied the G-Wagon completely in lines and dimensions. Also the dashboards were almost identical. The MBZ G-Wagon won the 1983 Paris-Dakar rally then in 1985 Mitsubishi won with the Pajero and basically owned that rally for years to follow.