cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

20 pairs of doppelgänger cars

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? If that’s the case, there must be plenty of automotive designers doing an awful lot of blushing, because we managed to outline a long list of cars that share more than a passing resemblance to totally different models. We’re skipping badge-engineered cars or captive imports—that’s just cheating. Without further ado, here are 20 sets of cars, trucks, and SUVs that look a lot alike, whether by accident or by intent.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/20-pairs-of-doppelganger-cars/

124 REPLIES 124
TomT
Passenger

In my dreams, I think of my 1972 Karmann Ghia convertible as a "poor man's" Porche ;-D

RetroRock
Intermediate Driver

I've thought many a time to walk down through Porche Park at Road America and say: "He Kids, Look at All the Karmann Ghias"...  

RagtopJunkie
Pit Crew

I always saw those two cars as siblings, or steps in an evolution.  The nose on the Karmann Gia and the 356 are almost identical.

Artkadet
New Driver

I've wanted to put gull wing doors on a Karmann Ghia as it bears a certain resemblance to the Mercedes 300SL.
wendy834gt
Pit Crew

My dad had one too...and an 240Z & Citroen...and at least 4 VW buses...who new. In MY dreams I'm at Barrett Jackson 😞

Buddy8746
Pit Crew

Always thought the 98-02 SS Camaro front end looked like a 550 Maranello 🤷🏻‍♂️

77GL
Intermediate Driver

Almost every car has a doppelganger.  There's a lot more conformity than originality in the entire car industry.  Tesla is currently the only innovative company doing something others haven't already done.  They are not the first electric car but they are the first one to really make it work.  Chevy came close with the EV1 and you have to wonder if they shut it down because it was a threat to the largest car company in the world.

Pepperalls
Detailer

EV1 engineers started Tesla to my understanding. Big leaps of faith in battery tech improving is a reasonable short answer for GM getting cold feet and killing the program.  Elon came in after with money and hype (which a start-up needs).

Tesla Roadster innovative sure... Model 3 looks like every other jellybean since Ford Taurus went that route.

Artkadet
New Driver

SAAB Sonett III and the Datsun 240Z - twins separated at birth?

RagtopJunkie
Pit Crew

Definitely!

wendy834gt
Pit Crew

Yes !!!!!

PorscheMan
Intermediate Driver

Holleyhell... I NEED whatever drugs you're on. They're not even CLOSE to looking similar.

Bob_S
Passenger

How about Jaguar XKE & Datsun 240Z

Zippy124
Passenger

Fiat 124 Spider and Ferrari 275 GTS

Artrite
Passenger

That's the one I was going to add as well!

richreed701
Pit Crew

I dunno.  I would have picked the Porsche 924 to be matched with the Gen II RX-7, not the MOPAR product you show here.  I owned two of the RX-7s over the years and it was frequently compared to the Porsche, and several times mistakenly ID'd as the Porsche product.  (Having driven both, I would pick the RX-7, considering the cost of ownership.  If someone else was picking up the tab for maintenance, then the Porsche would be my pick)

jsfury
Intermediate Driver

Good selection of comparisons there. The Rambler Marlin and the Dodge Charger was always interesting to me.  

audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

But the Marlin was even closer to the first Plymouth Barracuda. 

LesIzmeaux
New Driver

The Austin Cambridge was a striking resemblance to my Peugeot 404.  They were both by Pininfarina

mwmyers91
Detailer

Most of these are like comparing Chef-boy-ardi spaghetti to Grandma's Sunday Italian feast.

extech
New Driver

how about early mustang and mercedes 230sl

PorscheMan
Intermediate Driver

Crack is whack.

M21
Passenger

The 1965 Mini Cooper to the 1970 Honda 600 Sedan

F360Spider
Detailer

On my first job after high school, I worked at a large construction site that had both a first gen Bronco and International Scout. Got to drive both in demanding and extremely muddy situations. The Bronco was best for light work and tight spaces. Seemed more nimble but fell down in heavy mud. I can remember pulling the Bronco out of a mud pit with the Scout. One time I got totally bogged down in a mud pit with the Scout and the Bronco came to pull me out, only to get totally mired to the point the doors wouldn't open. We both got pulled out by a D8. Took hours to wash off the sticky south Texas mud.

I favored the Scout for its better A/C, standard shift transmission and seemingly better 4WD system. I liked taking the Bronco home when I could as it was a better driving truck on roads, had an automatic and a decent radio.

One oddball thing with the Scout was the gas tanks. There's a switch on the floor controlling which tank gets the gas. The first week I drove the thing, I ran it out of gas because that little detail was left out when I got instructions on how to drive the thing. It was quite embarrassing to have to be rescued by the maintenance guy who merely flipped a switch and the engine started again. Never made that mistake again.

Both trucks were tough and strong. Both were useful on the job site and both could take a lot of punishment by a teenage idiot (me), and dozens of others.

JDHilton
New Driver

Scouts sold petty well in Michigan's Upper Peninsula when I was growing up in the 1960s. Some doctors even splurged on their Suburban-competitor big brother, the Travelall. I remember radio ads with the mini-jingle:  "International Scout! Anything else .. is just a car." 

J3
Passenger

Shelby Cobra and BMW Z3. Both even have shark gills on the side.

PorscheMan
Intermediate Driver

Please don't drink and type.

BeeMac
Passenger

How could you miss Lotus Elan and Mazda Miata?

BeeMac
Passenger

How could you miss Lotus Elan and Mazda Miata?

Atdog
Navigator

I kept waiting to see Mazda Miata and Buick Reatta ...

coastr
Pit Crew

Um, the 2nd Gen EX-7 is a doppleganger of the Porsche 944, not the Starion.  And if you want to compare small japanese 4x4, the Daihatsu F20 and the first gen Suzuki Jimny were separated at birth.

gpsuya
Intermediate Driver

The second generation Camaro sure looks a lot like a 1953 Studebaker Starliner. Shows how far ahead in styling  Studebaker was at the time.

BobVette
Passenger

How about the Jaguar XKE and the Toyota 2000 ? Both even had double overhead

cam inline 6 cylinder engines.

lkschmidt
New Driver

As I was scrolling through the list I was internally nodding, yep I see that, oh ya definitely,... until I reached the Pacer/928 and then broke out in laughter!  Thanks, I needed that one

Bigdog49036
Navigator

When I got married to my first wife she came with yellow Pacer X. Had she come with the Porche 927? I think we would still be married maybe. There were other issues than the Pacer (which she loved and I hated). Still I think the divorce started with the Pacer X. Doppleganger with the Porche? That one you missed badly. The rest are interesting. JMHO
farna
Detailer

There is actually a car design magazine that did an interview with Richard Teague, the head of the design department at AMC and the main designer of the Pacer, that mentions the Porsche drawing influence from the Pacer design. "Influence" isn't the same as "looks alike" (doppleganger) though, so I wouldn't have included this one. One similarity isn't enough...

RBHatton
New Driver

The 1953 Hudson Jet was a scaled down copy of the 1953 Ford, right down to the taillights.   Actually, it was one of the first "compact cars", and looked great.   Unfortunately, the independents couldn't compete with the "Big Three", and went the way of history.

OldManJeep
Passenger

Before the Dodge Dakota there was the Jeep Comanche (1986 to 1992)

MrKnowItAll
Detailer

You missed: 53 Studebaker Starliner and 70 1/2 Camaro/Firebird. Look at the side profiles.

Bob Bourke designed the personal coupe 12 years before the Mustang.

Studey4ever
New Driver

I distinctly remember encountering a second gen Camaro for the first time and was struck by the similarity.
zeus01
Pit Crew

There is an error here: the Mustang look-alike Celica pictured is the 1976-77 model. The '73 was the first generation Celica and, while pony-car-esque in profile, looked nothing like a Mustang.

I'm very surprised to see the Puma on here - I thought I was the only one who remembered them. And now that you mentioned it there is definitely some Dino cues in the design. But (squared-off rear quarter window notwithstanding), it has more in common looks-wise - and engine/drive-line-wise) with the earlier Porsche 911.

Another doppelganger that I noticed way back in a 1978 issue of Car & Driver was the then-new 1st-gen RX7 and the Porsche 924. The 7 was (IMHO) the better looking, better handling and better performing of the two at around half the price - and sounded far more intoxicatingly smooth. I've owned six of those 1st-gens - all of them series two and three versions, and all with the GSL (GX in Canada until the 1983 model year) option package and 12A. Never did get my hands on a pristine '84-85 13b-powered GSL-SE...

cdkrek
Intermediate Driver

Celica Liftback was introduced in 1973 for Japan and 1974 for export.  This has the bumpers of liftback earlier than 1976.  I would say 74 or 75 due to steering wheel on left

TA76
Intermediate Driver

The 2004 GTO looks more a 2004 Honda accord 2dr. The '76 Celica  GT liftback looked even more like the 69-70 Mustang.

BillJ
Passenger

1964 Studebaker Hawk and ‘90’s Chrysler Córdoba

Panamericano
New Driver

You mentioned the Merlin and the Charger.  But, from the rear 3/4, and rear, check out a Merlin and The Chrysler Crossfire.  Grand child?

cdkrek
Intermediate Driver

Marlin

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Yep, we mentioned Crossfire. The tapering fastback definitely has a resemblance.

Rod2
Passenger

The Kia Stinger has more the pose of the Holden Commodore SS ( ne, Chevrolet SS ) The Pontiac GTO ( ne, Holden Monaro ) looks nothing like the Chevy Cavalier.

espo70
Intermediate Driver

Listen, I owned an 04 GTO for many years and loved it. But it does look like a cross between a 90s Cavalier and Grand Prix.