cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

1977 Ford Granada Ghia Sedan: Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah... | Hagerty Media

Okay folks, it is now time to hop into Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine to the year of 1975, when, for some reason, a lot of new cars were named after Spanish cities. Cadillac debuted the 'sheer look' small-for-a-Cadillac Seville, Chrysler showed off their Herb Tarlek-tastic Cordoba, and FoMoCo displayed an extremely fancy Falcon-based luxury compact: [...]
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/klockau-classics/1977-ford-granada-ghia-sedan-hello-muddah-hel...
9 REPLIES 9
mhealy1
Detailer

Such fun looking back, and I love the reference the the way-back machine. I wonder, was Sherman perhaps our very own Don Sherman...?
I digress...I remember staring longingly at a silver ‘76 four-door displayed in my high school lobby as the top prize in the annual fundraiser. I learned then that my taste in cars was wiiiidely varied. I was learning to drive at that time, on a ‘71 VW Campmobile. As a hormonal teen, I had figured out the, um, potential of said vehicle and was quite fond of it. Our ‘74 Super Beetle was a blast (see Aaron Robinson’s piece on the joy of driving a slow car fast), and our ‘74 Plymouth Suburban wagon was great out on the road, full of friends, heading nowhere. But the Granada was none of the above but still the object of my attention. A few years later, working in a service station (remember those?), I had the opportunity to see many of them up close and personal. They weren’t half bad. Changing plugs on the V8s was a pain, but in general they held together reasonably well. Front ends were the weakest link, especially the steering linkage mounted power steering hydraulic assist cylinder. Often when they went bad the cylinder would over-boost at the slightest movement of the steering wheel, causing the car to bounce back and forth like an amusement park attraction.
I haven’t seen one in a long time, but the right car at the right price, who knows? I’ve outgrown the Campmobile anyways.
Flashman
Technician

I wonder how many people will understand the Allan Sherman reference in the title.
mhealy1
Detailer

I wonder if the car belongs to Jeffrey Hardy. The author never did find the owner of the Grenada.
RickN
Intermediate Driver

Had a '75 Monarch coupe, which I actually enjoyed (and for a GM guy, that's saying something!) Not the best car I've ever owned, but perfectly reliable, comfortable, luxurious for its time, and quiet.

By the way, why does everyone today seem to pan quiet, softly sprung luxury cars? With today's obsessions with copying everything from overseas, we have luxury cars which handle better, yes, but are noisier and ride hard on their tighter suspensions and rock hard low profile tires. I love sports cars, and currently own two of them. But when I want luxury, I want smooth and quiet. Give me a late 60's - early 70's Electra or "98 anytime; call me crazy.
mhealy1
Detailer

You’re not crazy. I, too, like all different types of cars (and trucks). Every vehicle has a mission. Some fulfill them better than others, but what’s missing now is cushy highway monsters. There’s got to be a market for something like that today, just nothing there to fill the niche.
drm101
Detailer

My roommate in college had a 2 door version with 302 and 4 speed on the floor. It was our go to car if all 4 of us needed to go somewhere. I liked it, especially the manual trans. It might have been a 3 speed, I can't remember.
Swamibob
Instructor

I dig it Thomas!

Up here in Minnesota, that would be a GREAT Winter beater. When that was done I'd part it out to my Ford buddies to use the front disc brakes in an old Torino, ditto if the tranny was an OD unit, the V8 would go into somethgin lighter and more interesting (particularly if it was a 351W, love those tall deck Windsors; easy to make big compression and big power on pump gas). The seats would probably replace some old couch in someone's house. Way more comfortable than the average current couch.

Then again: Since they were just an early Fairmont, I suppose a guy could strip it way down and do a Bob Glidden inspired paint job, shove in a nice Shotgun Ford and a stick and go Drag Racing!

🙂
Bmike
Detailer

A friend in high school used to drive her dad's red, slab-sided four door. The rest of us had small Toyotas, Datsuns, VWs, etc. But you could get 6 (good) friends in that red beast. It served its purpose.
OldRoad
Instructor

I enjoyed your take on the half in the bag ad guys lunch conversation. That was funny.