cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

1973 Plymouth Fury Sport Suburban: Woodtone Prairie Schooner

I have always loved station wagons. I grew up with them. I came home from the hospital in one-my mom's dark blue 1977 Volvo 245 DL. I even owned one from 2007 to 2015-a 2006 Volvo V50 2.4i.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/klockau-classics/1973-plymouth-fury-sport-suburban-woodtone-pr...
5 REPLIES 5
Reinhold_Weege
Instructor

I'm pretty sure that crumple zones and airbags are for saving people, not cars. Please spare me links to the X-frame '59 Chevy.

With a 3-point belt fastened, I'd gladly tip over a S/CUV with this wagon.
Smilodon
Advanced Driver

My '78 Country Squire was rear-ended by a 2000's Honda. It did not end well for the Honda. My plate got wrinkled up.
Wildanimal
New Driver

We had a Sky Blue 72 Fury Sport Suburban, it served our family so well for six years & 152,000 miles, it had the LA360, but it hauled our Airstream & us kids all over the place. It was a great car!
js100
Detailer

I learned to drive in a '72 Country Squire (not sure why suburbia needed a horse reference), wood grain, and all (Liquid Gold polish also managed the fade). Somehow, that ill-handling sled came with a 429, posi-traction and HD everything, and brown on brown on brown. Bought used from a family friend, I recall the the gas gauge moved more reliably than the dash clock. As a semi-reliable hauler, it was still capable of out-accelerating most of the HS parking lot's worn out muscle cars. Generic then, it would probably draw a crowd at a cars & coffee, now
Swamibob
Technician

Love the real wagons! Even better with wood grain sides. In my youth, one of our football coaches would transport most of the team in their Plymouth wagon to games in the area. So their 9-passenger wagon became a 12-14 football player wagon. We were in 3rd or 4th grade at the time, but fully suited up, ready for the game.
In a crash I'd take the wagon any day. Particularly if the two machines were in an equal state of non-rust. Those old wagons didn't need a crumple zone. They were strong enough to shrug off any new car like it was a bug. VIVA the 440!