cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1970 was one tough year for these muscle cars (and that’s a good thing)

American Motors’ advertising agency of record—Wells, Rich, Greene, Inc.—produced an interesting ad to introduce the face-lifted 1970 AMX. “We made the AMX look tougher this year because it’s tougher this year,” read the headline. The former was the absolute truth thanks to a hood scoop and parking lights moved to the grille, and the latter was no less true due to an astounding upgrade of 65 horsepower.

The AMX wasn’t the only 1970 model that featured a tougher look with additional suds to get the job done; there were several other ’70 performance models with similar updates. Fifty years later, here’s a golden retrospective on these pugnacious performers:

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/1970-tough-year-muscle-cars/

Replies (7)

Replies (7)

Mopar or Nocar

Intermediate Driver

Mopar or Nocar

Intermediate Driver

It’s interesting to look at how the factory horsepower ratings were advertised in comparison to reality on some of the engines mentioned.

Specifically, the Dodge 440 6-Pack and 426 Hemi, Ford’s 428 Cobra Jet and the W30 version of the Olds 455.  Only 5 additional ponies than the standard 455 as used in the Olds 98?  Yeah, right.

Pit Crew

what about the 1970 Camaro SS?  It was the first year of gen 2 and came with a 350HP 396/402 and a M21 four speed. Should have got some recognition

Passenger

At a time when the big three were still on yearly new styling (or refresh) It's always been my contention that 1970 was a high water mark for  Detroit makers styling throughout all lines, not just muscle cars. Individual makers had their 'golden eras',such as Ford's 1930's models ,GM's Harley Earle era,etc. Ironically, the only exception I think of in 1970 is that the Dodge Coronet shown. The Plymouth sister cars were nice though! Can't think of any real 'bad 'looking American models that year.

Passenger

That is not a ‘Javelin’ AMX. It is an AMX. Javelin AMX came about in 1971. The 1970 AMX was certainly the epitome of AMC muscle (apologies to Scambler owners). It was it’s own car, not a Javelin trim option. 

Pit Crew

Nice to see an AMC javelin amx heading up the article. Too often passed over as a great pony car. Personally I prefer the second gen version like my 72, would be nice to see a feature on them.

New Driver