cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

1970 was one tough year for these muscle cars (and that’s a good thing)

American Motors’ advertising agency of record—Wells, Rich, Greene, Inc.—produced an interesting ad to introduce the face-lifted 1970 AMX. “We made the AMX look tougher this year because it’s tougher this year,” read the headline. The former was the absolute truth thanks to a hood scoop and parking lights moved to the grille, and the latter was no less true due to an astounding upgrade of 65 horsepower.

The AMX wasn’t the only 1970 model that featured a tougher look with additional suds to get the job done; there were several other ’70 performance models with similar updates. Fifty years later, here’s a golden retrospective on these pugnacious performers:

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/1970-tough-year-muscle-cars/

12 REPLIES 12
shoulderboards
Intermediate Driver

It’s interesting to look at how the factory horsepower ratings were advertised in comparison to reality on some of the engines mentioned.

Specifically, the Dodge 440 6-Pack and 426 Hemi, Ford’s 428 Cobra Jet and the W30 version of the Olds 455.  Only 5 additional ponies than the standard 455 as used in the Olds 98?  Yeah, right.

badcatt
New Driver

Ford's 428 Police interceptor for 1970 was factory rated at 365 HP, But the lowly 428 CJ was only 335??? With better heads Exhaust Manifolds and a bigger Carburetor. I'm sure all the manufactures were fibbing on horsepower ratings at that time in history.

Bill
Detailer

Mopar or Nocar

Bill
Detailer

Mopar or Nocar

Javman
Pit Crew

Nice to see an AMC javelin amx heading up the article. Too often passed over as a great pony car. Personally I prefer the second gen version like my 72, would be nice to see a feature on them.

Bettyemae
Intermediate Driver

That is not a ‘Javelin’ AMX. It is an AMX. Javelin AMX came about in 1971. The 1970 AMX was certainly the epitome of AMC muscle (apologies to Scambler owners). It was it’s own car, not a Javelin trim option. 

Javman
Pit Crew

You are correct in that the amx was it's own model but it was the shorter wheelbase, 2 seat derivative of the Javelin. Either way both the first and second generation AMX and JAVELIN imho are beautiful classic muscle cars. 

Bettyemae
Intermediate Driver

IMHO a 1971-1974 Javelin with an AMX option is a beautiful and desirable and great driving vehicle. My ‘74 (with it’s less desirable 360 and automatic) makes for a great road driver and always turns heads. But the ‘70 AMX? THAT is (and was when new) a true muscle car and was hardly just a Javelin with a shorter wheelbase...the differences between the cars are too numerous to mention here. Putting AMX trim on a Javelin or a ‘77 Hornet is just that...trim.

Cashmoney
New Driver

At a time when the big three were still on yearly new styling (or refresh) It's always been my contention that 1970 was a high water mark for  Detroit makers styling throughout all lines, not just muscle cars. Individual makers had their 'golden eras',such as Ford's 1930's models ,GM's Harley Earle era,etc. Ironically, the only exception I think of in 1970 is that the Dodge Coronet shown. The Plymouth sister cars were nice though! Can't think of any real 'bad 'looking American models that year.

mudbloodandbeer
Passenger

what about the 1970 Camaro SS?  It was the first year of gen 2 and came with a 350HP 396/402 and a M21 four speed. Should have got some recognition

Diego
Detailer

All the cars pictured looked tougher (subjective) and were tougher performers (objective). The 1970.5 Camaro didn't offer more performance.

DUB6
Technician

Plus, it would be hard to say that the '70 was "tougher" looking than the '69, which has proven out to be one of the most - if not the most - popular and sought-after Camaros of all time.  It's subjective, of course, and I happen to like many of the Gen II Camaros, but from an overall popularity standpoint, the '69 obviously set a very high bar.