cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

1966 Buick Riviera: Maximum Swank | Hagerty Media

The American personal luxury coupe really took off in the '60s. The Ford Thunderbird got things started. It first appeared as a two-seat convertible but very quickly adapted to the long, low, and luxurious coupe format by the 1958 model year-though the convertible remained popular and lasted through 1966.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/klockau-classics/1966-buick-riviera/
6 REPLIES 6
mhealy1
Detailer

Yup, I’ll take two, thank you. That way I’m pretty sure I’ll have at least two headlights showing in the depths of a Chicago winter. These cars were (are) stunners, but hidden headlights on any car were a recipe for disaster, or at least a “wink”. Not a problem now as these cars are usually good weather only rides.
Just out of curiosity, anybody know if these were vacuum operated or were they electric?
TonyH
New Driver

My brother had a 66 the headlights were controlled by an electric motor

audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

Whew, what a car! Beautiful! These were the true land yachts.
One "problem" all of these big luxury coupes shared was the size of the doors...
I had a 1970 Coupe de Ville, and had difficulty getting in and out when it was in my garage — you simply could not open the door far enough in some garages. The doors also weighed as much as a Renault LeCar or a Yugo.
All worth it though.
joeshoe
Pit Crew

I had a 66 GS with a 430 under the hood and a 400 H trans......and the light were Vaccum.....sometimes they would just blink.....

Wonderwrench
New Driver

Who cares if it even had lights when you have a 430 WC! A buddy of mine back in the 70's had a 66 and it had some serious legs on it. Never seen a land yacht that could accelerate as hard as that thing did. It pulled on the bottom and had what seemed to be near unlimited top end besides. We got followed home several times by cars he had blown off. They would get out of their cars with their mouths hanging open asking "what do you have in that thing?" Those were the days!

DUB6
Technician

That is a seriously pretty car.  Others here have called it a land yacht, which it genuinely is, but it's also a piece of rolling art.  I have a buddy with a '65 Riv, and I admire it anew each time he shows up with it.