cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1963-1967 Corvette (C2) Buyers Guide

It’s an understatement to say the second-generation Chevrolet Corvette was a significant departure from the original “solid axle” Corvette.  Sporting a fully-independent suspension and a chassis blueprint benefiting from years of racing experience from GM engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov, and with designer Bill Mitchell’s all-new fastback coupe body (convertibles were available) reminiscent of the Stingray fish, the C2 set the standard in Corvette engineering for many years to come.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/1963-1967-corvette-c2-buyers-guide/

Replies (18)

Replies (18)

I WOULD APRECIATE A SIMILAR WRITE UP ON THE C3 ERA. THANKS! 

Passenger

Ditto on the article I have a 66 L72 [425hp] Nassau Blue coupe for about 20 years my Dad owned it since 71 [prior he had a 63 triple black 300HP roadster ]the motor has been balanced and blueprinted these are awesome engines able to run around at relatively low speeds but you better be pointed in a straight line when you nail it. A few  minor suspension mods really help these cars ,Ive had mine at speed on Road Atlanta  and am totally awed by anyone who raced these monsters back in the day they are a handful. That said they are very reliable and there is tremendous parts support ,I removed the turbine wheels and added 7" rallies with the short caps as I like that look better. My car was McGuyvers side kick Jack's car for a couple of episodes lots of fun.

Keep up the good work .

New Driver

Nice summary! However, the top-performing 427 in 1966 was the 425hp L-72; the L-71 you noted as a 1966 option wasn't introduced until 1967, and had 435hp with 3x2 carburetion.

Passenger

Isn't it interesting that just about any high performance C2 is worth more in the market than a brand new C8?...this says something about the timeless design and performance options that has made the C2s the one to collect and cherish long term

Pit Crew

Thank you for your well written article on the great C-2! I have been the proud owner of my early  Saddle Tan 63 coupe. Mine came off of the assembly line in September 6th of 1962. So I have fiberglass headlight buckets and a spot for tools under the drivers seat along with a different yoke and a Borg & Warner T-10, 4 speed with power steering, brakes and windows. She came with the L-75 the 340 h.p. 327. I pulled that and installed   a 500 h.p. stroker motor in her and added vintage a/c and  cross drilled, slotted disc brakes on the front. And I put Kelsey Hayes knock off rims on her. But relax! looking to I retained all of the original parts.  I bought her  back in 1988. The lines of the C2 are beautiful, however I think that the 56 and 57 vettes are the best looking of all vettes. I am currently looking to add a 57 with onyx black and silver concaves with either dual quads or a fuelie to my garage.

New Driver

Two small errors in the info on the '67 Corvette. On the exterior, the Corvette name was not removed from the rear deck as stated, and on the interior description, a change that was not mentioned was that all the control knobs were different from previous models.

Passenger

In fact, in the paragraph about the engines above, you list the 375 hp 327 which was the fuelie.

Passenger

They built 771 fuel injected 327 Corvettes for 1965 before replacing it with the 396.

Passenger

I think the Rochester fuel injection was still available thru the ‘65 model year.

Pit Crew

Are you sure the Fuel injection wasn’t available is 1965 ? I believe it was the last year for it. 

Passenger

@dooscoop32  @Goldie thank you both for the correction on the N11/N14 exhaust systems.  I have revised the article, luckily both increased in popularity significantly that year, so they both deserve to be highlighted! 

Community Manager

The '65 full sized Chevy also had to wait until mid-year for the 396.  That's why they continued offering the 409 until the 396 replaced it.  The only year you could see both 409's and 396's...

Passenger

One error you made in the 1966 Corvette is the N14 Off Road Exhaust System as you called it.  The Off Road Exhaust System was RPO N11 and was routed under the car.  N14 was called the Side Mount Exhaust System and obviously ran down each side of the car.  This is a common mistake many people make.

Pit Crew

A powerglide transmission was not availablke with the L79 327/350hp engines.

Passenger

I believe you have confused N11 off-road exhaust with N14 side exhaust.

Passenger

I believe the finned brake drums on the 1963/64 C2 were cast iron not aluminum.

New Driver

Correction needed. The ‘66 C2 427/425 (L72) did not have tri power. It had a single Holley 4 barrel carburetor. 

New Driver

@RickT  @Hueco @auto-mark  thank you for your corrections (and for being nice about it), I have revised the article with your feedback.  I appreciate you making it a better guide for everyone!  

Community Manager