cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

1953 Bowman Antique Auto collector cards are mini works of art | Hagerty Media

Years before automakers brought back once-popular-but-discontinued models to boost their lineup-the Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Charger immediately leap to mind-the tug of nostalgia had been used the same way on a much smaller scale.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/1953-bowman-antique-auto-collector-cards-are-mini-w...
10 REPLIES 10
Pit Crew

Fascinating article! Thank you.
Each featured card depicts some type of action or motion, not unlike modern advertising.
Let's fill in the blank: The driver in the Packard-tourist is shooting at _____________.
Pit Crew

As a kid of 9-10 years old about the time these cards were coming out, I rather vividly recall seeing these around. But by and large the kids at the time passed these by. They were just Really Old Cars. There was another series out -- maybe Topps or some other cards -- that came out about the same time that featured the Dream Cars -- the sports and zoomy cars, the one-off show cars, the futuristic cars that were being featured in car shows. The one that comes most easily to memory is the Fiat Supersonic (?) -- even in 193, it just Looked like something from the future. Still does. The artwork of this Bowman series is reminiscent of some woodcuts I've seen over the years. But if someone still has a set of those dream car collector cards, I'd like revisit those.
Pit Crew

Always an enjoyable use of time, these unusal offerings make my day!!
Intermediate Driver

Obviously, he is repulsing an attack from a tourist hating local. The presence of at least one crutch (?), and the absence (?) of one leg could indicate that the illustration represents an outing of a well-to-do amputee.
New Driver

I am the proud owner of the set you are speaking of. It was put out by Topps in 1954 thru 1955 and the set name was "World on Wheels". The base set put out in 1954 was 160 cards. They did a "update" to that set in 1955 adding 20 cards including the Corvette and the Thunderbird! It is a much more interesting set (in my opinion) than the Antique Auto set and it has all the old cars plus the "dream cars" as well. Very fun and informative backs as well.
New Driver

If anyone collects postcards with old cars on them or photographs of cars taken by proud owners there is a website called icollect247.com .They do a good job of keeping new stuff and reproductions off their site. It's fun to just go on the site and look at all the different auto related items there.
New Driver

Interesting article. GM, and perhaps other mfgrs, had new model picture cards offered by their dealers every fall. I have a few from the '50's from Oldsmobile. I bet other GM cars had them too but my dad was an Olds guy.
Intermediate Driver

I was hopin to see a Fuller in there. Same era, MidWest manufacturer. Iowa? Well...

Even if not - anyone know of that make, those models, or specific years?
New Driver

Does anyone else remember collector "buttons" for lack of a better term, that consisted of a 1 to 1-1/2" round plastic "wheel" (the back was molded as a wire wheel and tire) and in front was inserted an image of an antique car along with its make and year. This would have been early to mid 60's and the vehicles ranged from the 1800's to 1940's or so. I had a collection of maybe 75 to 100. I have no recollection of what product they were associated with or how I acquired them, although I vaguely recall my older brothers giving me theirs.