cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

18 of the coolest factory hood scoops | Hagerty Media

Lots of cars look their best when they're prepped for racing: lowered, stripped down, and bristling with widgets that cheat and channel the air. Naturally, auto designers love to bring some of those racing accents into the showroom, and one of our favorite styling elements that's trickled down from the tarmac is the hood scoop.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/18-of-the-coolest-factory-hood-scoops/
163 REPLIES 163
billyt
New Driver

I like the shaker scoop on my 2004 Competition Orange Mach 1. Also the scoops on the Dart Swingers were cool looking and the Dodge Coronets had nice scoops too.
TDASmith455
Pit Crew

Definitely the W25 hood on the Olds, Cowl Induction (Vacuum operated) next, any Shaker, and the open air vents at the cowl on my 69 SS back in HS!
Stephensantin80
New Driver

How about the 1980 Z-28 Air Induction hood scoop ? Great look, great functionality. When you floor the throttle the induction flaps open while you watch and the car takes off. I believe it’s easily in the top 10, let alone the top 18.
fleezy
Pit Crew

1970-1973 Firebird Formula. I know the hood scoops were the same on the 1974 and 1975 models but the nose changed so they just don't look the same.

I fell in love with the 1971 Formula when I was a kid and that's why I have a 1971 Formula 455 now. So yeah, I'm a little biased. 🙂
fleezy
Pit Crew

Unfortunately, I don't have a better picture on my computer right now.Bird.jpg

Maestro1
Instructor

None of them. I remember seeing the hood scoop on a '57 Bird when the car was new, which has always been one of my favorites, and I can remember trying to figure out how to get rid of the hood scoop which, if I remember correctly, was not functional in the first place.
911CarCab
Pit Crew

The 69-70 Mach 1, No Question. My room mate back then had one. Me? I was driving a Presidential Blue Shelby '67 GT500 which would "blow the doors off" his Mustang !! Those were the days my friend !!
TomMeadows
Pit Crew

Considering that the Italians were using hood scoops as early as 1949, its seems a little odd to me to completely leave the Eeuropean continent out of this article.
Perhaps an identical article featuring European cars with hood scoops could be done for a "scoop to scoop" intercontinental air induction challenge?
bemrfst
Intermediate Driver

Shakers!!! The only way to go!!
Debx2
Intermediate Driver

Being a former owner of a ‘68 GTO I am prejudice toward the Pontiac Ram Air twins.
On the other hand the look of cowl induction always catches my eye.
As for Shakers, there’s something authentic about the fact that the scoop is attached to the power plant.
My $0.02
elheadflat
Intermediate Driver

Absolutely one of the best, my sons RAIV has the real air pull under the dash.
VERDEGO
New Driver

For me, it's the 70-72 Oldsmobile W-25 option. Another reader mentioned the early '70's Pontiac Firebird Formula hoods - love those as well! Maybe it's because the hood intakes are positioned forward on the hood, which makes the car more appear more sinister or aggressive (IMHO). I installed a functional Shaker hood scoop on my 2005 Mustang GT and love it. It receives many compliments and might be good for a few extra HP. Who knows?! Definitely a nod to the '69/'70 Mustang heritage on an already retro-looking car. That beings said, I am not a fan of all the fakey-do tack-on hood scoops or the variety of "heat extractor" scoops found on many vehicles produced today. When these scoops contribute to an engine's performance (to any extent), that gets my thumbs up! Cheers, all!
HotRodGTO
Pit Crew

1970 Challenger T/A
Chevelle_man
Intermediate Driver

I'll go with the Chevy "stinger"...it even looks good on a Chevelle!
Bender
New Driver

Ford Mustang Shaker/Dodge shaker (tie)-domestic
Subaru WRX STi-import
Ferrari 550/575 Maranello-exotic
But any scoop is better than no scoop!
Patrician
Intermediate Driver

The 1958-1960 Thunderbird hood scoop was pure elegance.
Tom_the_Tech
Pit Crew

I have had four on this list plus a couple more. Currently my favorite is on my 2007 Super Bee Charger..
SAKre
New Driver

How about the 68 deluxe Mustang hood with the two turn signals in the scoop. For pure volume, the 69 Shelby with 5 scoops!
CaptBob
New Driver

If it doesn't Shake, its fake.
Ken1969
New Driver

Other than the "Air Grabber" I like them all. Something just seemed out of proportion.
RoadDog
Intermediate Driver

All great scoops. For shear prominence, it's hard to beat the hood scoop on a Hemi Dart!
mwmyers91
Detailer

Hands down. The Cowl induction Hoods
Real_Life
Intermediate Driver

The cowl induction hoods were great understated statements, if I can say that. I still went with the SVO Mustang for its majestic functionality (my comment, above).
RickL
Intermediate Driver

The Hurst SC/Rambler is perhaps one of the most efficient air scoops of that time. Not only did the Pro/Stock Hood Scoop of the early 70's utilize that basic design. A lot of the muscle car era "scoops" were merely hot air extractors rather than providing ambient air into the carburetor. The SC/Rambler scoop was also vacuum controled. Vacuum holds the "flap" inside the scoop closed, but when full throttle (therefore a drop in vacuum) the flap opened allowing cooler ambient air into the air cleaner assembly. My Dad drag raced one at Lebanon Valley back in the day and when there was cooler more dense air it really did make a difference. Plus with an arrow pointing to the scoop air knew where to go!!!!
wdb
Intermediate Driver

2004-2005 STi is my favorite but only because I spent 117,000 pleasureable miles watching one quiver on the other side of my windshield. Darned thing always looked like it was ready to detach and take flight.

Of the ones listed I think the Vette is the most attractive, in a menacing way; "I mean business".
Hymie60
Intermediate Driver

Have a 70 El Camino with Cowl Induction. Don’t know if it adds any horses, but it sure looks cool when you put the pedal to the floor and the flapper pops up. Childish, yep but what fun, and the sound when the carb opens up and the Flowmasters roar. Damn, what fun.
JLFS
New Driver

You blew it again.... The best hood scoop is the 1965-1967 GTO!
Idaholifestyle
New Driver

The very functional twin scoops on my 69 Bee out class many of those listed. It has to be one of the meanest looks out there.
elheadflat
Intermediate Driver

YuK double yuk and the 70 Aswinger as well...they look like JC Penny add-ons....
Real_Life
Intermediate Driver

No doubt, lots of classics here, but I have to agree with Raymond Loewy, the man who invented industrial design and designed the Avanti, "great designs are asymmetric" and go with the Mustang SVO. Intensely functional, the turbo is, after all, on the side of the head, and a NACA duct on top of that. Form follows function.
elheadflat
Intermediate Driver

My favorite is the Cobra Jet Shaker which was seen in our area....never saw the Cuda Shaker in these parts, but when I did it was awesome,...then of course the cowl induction on the 70 Chevelle. My 66 Vette has the power bulge big block hood which I had to have on my Small block 327/300...its the best...as is the 69 Super Bee that has a similar one....just my faves......really like them all....just don't put a cowl induction on a fox body.....Please.
TRdelux
Intermediate Driver

All the functional hood scoops are cool. Those that moved under acceleration more so. My
brother had a 1970 AAR Cuda with the fiberglass scooped hood. Best thing about that one was
above 100mph it would lift up against the hood pins and rear hinges and start shaking side
to side. That and the noise 6 open barrels made was unforgettable.
ESB19SS
Pit Crew

That Stinger on the 'vette and the cowl induction SS scoops were always a favorite, but the 442 W25 scoops would look good on just about any muscle supplied by GM.
70amcpwr
New Driver

You guys are unbelievable, no AMC's. Scrambler, S/C 360, Rebel Machine, 1970 Javelin or AMX ram air, 1971 AMX reverse air induction. Even the Hurst Jeepster. Wow, how biased.
HD
New Driver

A bit different from most scoops, the Morgan +4 Super Sports.

/Users/jimnichol/Desktop/+4SS.jpeg
Roland
New Driver

They missed the coolest scoop. The '69 - '70 Shelby scoop.
Indycaver
New Driver

The 1962 Pontiac Super Duty hood scoop ... which was Ford truck part.
Jost
Intermediate Driver

That 63 Plymouth. All the rest are great. I've owned a 69 goat, mustangs, etc... but that twin scoop on that 63 Plymouth is just bad a$$$ in its simplicity. 

MSH
New Driver

Any of the shakers or the cowl induction but the 'barn door' on the mopars has to win if I have to choose
DukeCaboom
New Driver

Thunderbird has this one all the way for me, great looking scoop, mach mustang takes 2nd place.
farna
Detailer

I swear you guys forget the independents altogether when looking at cars! The 53-55 Nash Rambler had a hood scoop... most notable because it definitely wasn't really needed for the little flat-head six. And who can't remember the very notable 1969 SC/Rambler snorkel scoop, with the red/white/blue paint job with the blue arrow pointing to the scoop with "AIR" on it, so the air knew exactly where to go?
Geok86
Advanced Driver

Mentioning Pontiac Ram Air, and not including 93-97 Firehawks, 95-97 Comp T/As, and 96-97 WS6, was a major oversight...yet you Of Course mentioned the later LS1s. The pre facelift LT cars actually had Ram Air, where as the LS cars were actually more of a cool air hood, as they did not feed directly into the open air filter element.
Jaguarman
Pit Crew

You missed the most audacious hood scoop of them all, the Rambler SCrambler. Even had arrows painted on the hood showing where the intake air went.

Tinkerah
Technician

I bought a '73 Mustang back in the day (when I did everything) only because it had a Mach I hood on it. Collected a speeding violation within days of collecting the car. After ruining the car I sold the hood for more than the whole rest of the car.
1969Camaro
Pit Crew

You forgot the 1969 Z-28 Camaro Cowl Induction Scoop.
SAG
Detailer

cowl induction scoops actually pull the air flow from your Carb. when it had a fixed base to the Carb. intake [vortex flow]
[but it looked great]
Ram Air was the best
DC
Intermediate Driver

Cowl induction actually uses high pressure from windshield. Same place your car’s ventilation received air, not to mention standard equipment on NASCAR Chevrolets !

Foreword facing so-called “shakers” have little value past car show posers.
Slow-N-Relaxed
Pit Crew

Cowl induction does not "suck" air away from the carb. Not sure where you ever got that idea. Whatever speed the car travels, the air pressure is HIGHER at the base of the windshield than anywhere else other than the "nose" of the car (and the top of the hood has very little air flow within the few inches most hood scoops facing forward stick up. For a forward facing scoop to actually capture air at higher pressure, it has to START about 4-5 inches above the hood and go even higher than that. The "bow wave" of air flowing over the car, pushes air well above the surface of the hood where air travels much more slowly and at lower pressure than the air stream flowing over the hood ABOVE forward facing scoops. That makes every forward-facing scoop a means of getting cooler air into the carb, but NOT higher-pressure air. There's no ram effect in spite of the manufacturers calling it Ram Air or some variant of that. Rearward facing scoops benefit from the high pressure at the base of the windshield at all speeds, but at higher speeds, there is a REAL ram effect with rear facing scoops as long as they aren't TOO far from the base of the windshield.
SAG
Detailer

Very rare is a system that isn't just 'for show'.
haven't seen one listed that provides performance.
Engine compartment cooling is the main focus.
SAG
Detailer

but extreme temps cause 'fuel pre-detenation'
they provide a 'street car' a remedy to this issue.