cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

18 of the coolest factory hood scoops | Hagerty Media

Lots of cars look their best when they're prepped for racing: lowered, stripped down, and bristling with widgets that cheat and channel the air. Naturally, auto designers love to bring some of those racing accents into the showroom, and one of our favorite styling elements that's trickled down from the tarmac is the hood scoop.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/18-of-the-coolest-factory-hood-scoops/
163 REPLIES 163
RokemRonnie
Detailer

My favorite hood scoop is on the AMC The Machine Rebel, which could be ordered with a hood mounted tachometer integrated into the hood scoop.
sintorion
New Driver

Totally agree with Ronnie on the Rebel. Brandan really needs to research a little more. In addition to the Rebel the Big Bad scoop along with the standard Javelin ram air were more worthy than most on his list. I'm guessing he only knows the big 3 when it comes to cars after looking at his list.
MeJ
Detailer

I've seen most of these over the years (and even over my own hood with the Trans Am!) but I don't recall that 70-72 Plymouth Air Grabber. That is absolutely the coolest hood scoop I've ever seen! Love the shark teeth in profile. Awesome stuff.
woodyambison
Pit Crew

Yes the Plymouth Air Grabber is real my brother had one on a '70 road runner 440 6 pack. The coolest scoop made!
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Brandon,

Why the top '18'?
Great conversation starter though (wink, wink...)

If the AMC Guys are going to wax poetic about the AMX-Javelin-Rebel; why not the SC/Rambler?
C'mon, Guys, it even had an arrow directing the flow, you know, in case the air was confused where to go...

But, how about the 3rd Gen TA's?

The shout out for the 2nd Gens was great, considering the original print ads for the TA included the caption, "Gauges that Gauge, Spoilers that Spoil, and Scoops that Scoop!" Both 2nd and 3rd Gens get Bonus Points for producing both functional and non-functional versions; functionality being a judgement on actually flowing Air and not just Adrenaline. Besides, the 'non-functional' were easily modified with factory parts, or a 1/4" drill, a bit porch screen, a little epoxy, and a steady hand. How many Manufacturers were forced to Delete their Intake Scoops because they were TOO LOUD? Those Q-Jets could flow a lot more than people thought then or now...

Since Ford gets credit for the Mid-Century Full-Size, how about GMC for the same era pick-ups?

As usual though, all great choices; just enough for people to throw in their 2-cents...

Bravo!
Seab
New Driver

Where’s the L88 ? I always thought it was iconic .....
TonyT
Instructor

I know the article refers to front-mounted hood scoops, but this could technically be included: the 1998 Porsche 911/996 Strassenversion, the road-legal variant of the LeMans race car. Since the engine is in the rear and the roof-mounted scoop feeds air to that engine, loose logic says that makes it a hood scoop. Hey, it sounded good to me...
drm101
Intermediate Driver

There are so many good one's. I also liked the Fiero roof scoops. The WRX scoops are iconic, too.
TimeFixers
Pit Crew
PJBW31
New Driver

Hagerty - do your research - Oldsmobile W-25 hood was introduced in 1970. Not in 1969.
AMX
New Driver

AMC SC/Rambler.
gfviperman
Intermediate Driver

Shaker wins ...

... move on to the next "contest."
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

It would be extremely hard for me to pick any of these as my one "favorite". Since the vast majority of the cars listed (and those not so) fall under the umbrella of "favorites" , I can only state that I like them all!! 🙂
390AMX
Pit Crew

The big block Corvette scoop was first to etch itself into my teen memory cells.... & looking at them new on the lot, could not believe someone could pay that much for a car 8-)
StanF512
Pit Crew

You chose the absolute worst of the Pontiac Ram Air scoops. You should have shown a 70-73 Formula Firebird with their awesome scoops!

ae1279e9ddb7d29c50975986d985113b.jpg

Ubercub18
New Driver

Yes! My favorite too, and I’m a Mopar guy. I also like the hood scoop Ted Nugent references in “Wango Tango”.
fleezy
Pit Crew

Thank you for posting!!! Beautiful car!
fleezy
Pit Crew

How do you post pics?
Sajeev
Community Manager
fleezy
Pit Crew

Thank you!
TransAm-forever
Pit Crew

Yeah, I've always liked the 70-73 Formula Firebird ram air scoops as well. I have a 1971 Firebird Formula and a 1973 Trans Am in Brewster green. I drilled out the pop rivets on the TA shaker scoop and, wow, does that thing ever make noise sucking in air upon acceleration.
1959Imperial
Pit Crew

Any hood scoop is fine IF its functional. Skip the "fake" if it does not perform as it looks.
98SNAKEEATER
Pit Crew

The functional shaker scoop on my 70 TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwCz3wg81aQ
StanF512
Pit Crew

I used to have a 1971 TA - it was great fun watching the flap open when you punched the throttle.  I'm sure that it didn't really add much HP, but it definitely looked cool!

cestor01
Intermediate Driver

The Ram Air has always been my favorite. It has smooth lines and actually looks like it is supposed to be there instead of an afterthought tacked on later. The Mopar Shaker and Plymouth Air Grabber run close behind, however.
bpar73
Intermediate Driver

Mopar Shaker is iconic.
avideo
Intermediate Driver

I love the hood scoops on my 1969 Shelby GT350 Fastback. Completely functional too! Not just for "show" as on some cars.
meckert
New Driver

Hands down the coolest!
Rob1
Instructor

Iam sure that Mopar would do so well as they had the greatest variety and some pretty impressive mechanical devices operating them but for myself the Cobra Jet breather scoop is iconic.Cheers R
Pdxcarguy
Intermediate Driver

As long as the scoop is FUNCTIONAL...
I LOVE them all!!!
JimmyV
New Driver

So we are missing the 1970 and 1971 ford Torino cobra jet shaker ...
ParsGuyDave
New Driver

I agree with ‘as long as it’s functional”, but the Mopars A12 and Sixpack cars OWN the quantity department. And intimidating as hell if one rolls up behind you.
hyperv6
Gearhead

The most interesting scoop that ever came from Detroit was the Fiero Ram Air scoop.

It was designed by Pontiac for the IMSA race car but never was used. It later was used on some show cars and rally cars. They were offered by DGP the maker of the IMSA body kits for Pontiac. They also were sold by some dealers as a dealer installed part

It was on the deck lid and too air from over the roof for the mid engine.
Most people saw them on the Indy Pace cars.
bblhed
Advanced Driver

As a former Fiero owner I would like to request that you never speak of that dark chapter again.
s083874
Pit Crew

The 1968 Hemi Darts and Barracudas had the most radical hood scoop. And the most efficient hood scoop appeared on the 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A which was designed after the P-51 intake.
2Classics95N72
Intermediate Driver

I will admit; as soon as I see "Any" Hood Scoop on a vehicle; well it turns my head. To me (although I realize it is not necessarily true) it suggest this car is either a "Muscle" or "Sports Car"; yep the hood scoop is like a "Tattoo", suggesting there may be trouble (we all know that tattoos have now become somewhat common place and don't suggest any type of radical, ready to fight individual sporting such, especially the one of "goofy" or some other Disney Character, but I digress).

When I was young, just becoming the "Gear Head" I am today, when you seen a car with a "Hood Scoop", well that was a "Custom Job". Growing up in my area we had a little shop in the "Uptown Area" called "Hollywood Auto" (I live in Ohio, so the name itself suggested it was "Cool"); there you could go and buy everything from "Window Tint" (rattle can spray on, yep that's how it was done back then) to, "Scoops"..

My first "Scoop" was a (biggest you can buy) "Tear Drop Scoop". I was smiles all the way home. Got out the grinder, got out the can of Bondo and attached that baby to my "62 Ford Falcon". Now my Falcon still had the 6 cylinder but with me sanding it down, painting it all "Black Primer" (rattle can), putting on a "Thrush" muffler, some chrome "Beauty Rims" and "Baby Moons", spraying that "Window Tint" (red was the tint, yep red) and now with that "Tear Drop Scoop"....come on now you have to admit (or maybe not), it - "I" was "Cool".
GRP_Photo
Instructor

That's a lot of lipstick on that pig.
silverado
Intermediate Driver

Of the ones you have here I like the 70-72 chevelle cowl induction one, but my favorite is the tear drop ones. Back in high school my friend had a tear drop one on his 64 impala and it's been my favorite one since.
Robertgouwens
New Driver

Your going to get a lot of feedback on this. You missed the most famous of all hood scoops. 1965 to 1967 Pontiac GTOs. All tho most non functional.
JDull139
Pit Crew

How could you not include the "blister scoop" on 1963 &64 Fords???!!!!
Shoe
New Driver

Teardrop as on my old drag race Galaxie.File1.jpg

dclaxon
Pit Crew

I also remember seeing some of those teardrops on some early Mustangs too, ('67 fastback?) but I don't know if they were factory.

Rockem
Intermediate Driver

Almost any hood scoop looks,as long as it goes with the style of the car.We've all seen cars with hood scoops and wings bolted on and thought,what ta hell was that person thinking of. It's all about style and performance.
DublD
Intermediate Driver

I like them all! I would like to add the '68 Mustang with the signal light indicators on the back of the scoop.
terryjudd
Intermediate Driver

Three hood scoops from American Motors are among my favorites. The 1954-55 Nash Metropolitan featured a hood scoop that was as understated as the 1955-56 Ford Thunderbird. The 1969 SC/Rambler "A" paint scheme boasted a not-so-subtile hood scoop that was wonderfully accented with two “AIR” decals and large blue arrow pointing at the intake to remind those of the “390 CU IN” lurking under the hood. The unique 1970 Rebel Machine hood scoop included an integrated exterior tachometer.
dtht
New Driver

hood scoop….1954 ford r mercury
DennyK
New Driver

I’d like include my Toyota Mr2 Spyder which has 2 functional air scoops on the sides directing air into the engine compartment to help cool that big 138hp 4(lol) but they do work!
JAG
Intermediate Driver

I guess the Chevelle cowl hood was supposed to cover all Chevy cowl hoods, but the non top door used on gen 1 Camaro's may be the most iconic and reproduced hood of all time. It is used everywhere and almost every model and make.
bblhed
Advanced Driver

Not a fan of hood scoops, or Fords for that mater, but the T-Bird is nice, I like that it is understated.