cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

15 GTO facts you might not know about America's original muscle car

In the early spring of 1963, during a "what if" session at GM's Milford, Michigan, Proving Grounds, a small team of Pontiac engineers led by John Z. DeLorean realized the 389-cubic-inch V-8 from the full-size Bonneville would fit easily in the new midsize Tempest.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/15-gto-facts-america-original-muscle-car/
72 REPLIES 72
hyperv6
Gearhead

I grew up with a number of GTO models. The tri power cars are still my favorite with mechanical linkage. The sound and feel of these we're special.

The GM engineers understood Pontiac and it is a shame the management of GM and the pettiness of Chevy destroyed Pontiac. 

If you spent time in these you would understand why a later GTP or SSEI while good cars were not real Pontiacs and just better Chevys.

BMD4800
Instructor

I often agree with you, but must disagree in this case.

Pontiac died for two reasons:

1) GM performance hierarchy
2) Restructuring.

Buick was a popular brand in China - a major emerging market, and Oldsmobile buyers were the least brand-loyal of the BOP-3.
Pontiac had developed a cutting edge performance image since the 80s, largely distancing itself from Chevrolet as a more upscale and performance oriented brand, while simultaneously setting apart from Buick and Olds as significantly more youth oriented.

The problem came when GM had to trim the fat. There weren’t enough sales to support the BOP-3, Chevrolet and Cadillac. When Caddy was the front-drive, North Star powered land barges, aside from the Caddy that zigs, it was anything but a performance brand. As Cadillac moved to more cutting edge, more rear drive, and world-class cars, the front-drive platforms were woefully inadequate.

So it came down in the collapse. Saturn-non Union, gone. Hummer - gas guzzler during a crisis, gone. Oldsmobile - least brand loyal, easiest to get into Buicks, gone.
That left Pontiac. Loyal customers, solid sales, but it targeted a market where Cadillac was going and at GM there is a performance hierarchy.
A) can’t out-perform a Corvette
B) can’t jump the ranks.

Pontiac was straight up in the Cadillac market.
Chevy didn’t destroy Pontiac, Cadillac did.

As to the GTP and SSEi, those didn’t impact Chevy sales, not many Impalas and Monte Carlos used the 3800, most used the disaster 3.1/3.4/3.5/3.9. Without question the Pontiac targeted a different customer. Chevrolet GM-10/W-bodies were awful, save the last few years; if that’s what you meant, I’d agree. But that’s a GM bean counter thing. They loved those 60 degree V6s, but the BOP-3 customers HATED THEM.

For more fun stuff, check out the back room stuff about dropping LeSabre from the Buick lineup. It wasn’t just about a redesign, it was a marketing trick to get away from the older class market. GM knew they could milk the LeSabre for generations, think Avalon and ES3X0, but they wanted to steal from 40 somethings looking for Euro-brands. Again, the 2 rules, which ultimately relegated Buick’s to Chinese SUVs.

GM is quite possibly the best performing company run by complete imbeciles.

Don’t get me started on the pavement-princess trucks.
audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

Very salient points!
I do disagree about your Pontiac/Cadillac theory.
Pontiac was indeed a youth-oriented brand, with performance and sporty looks as their accurate image.
Cadillac usually vacillated between "The Standard of the World" luxury and quality; and a certain stodginess.
I can't recall any Pontiac owners ever coveting Cadillacs.
Most GM cars, indeed most American cars of the mid-70's to mid-late 80's were probably the crappiest cars ever built in the USA.
Smithsonite
Intermediate Driver

I'm still driving a '86 Mercury Grand Marquis I've owned for the past 18 years. Has 278k miles on it on the ORIGINAL fuel pump and driveline - never been into the engine or trans, aside from a timing chain swap when I had it open to fix oil and coolant leaks. The Caprice and G-body cars were every bit as reliable as this Merc is, too. They weren't all crap in the 80's.
BMD4800
Instructor

The entire V-program is what should have been Pontiac.  CTS-V with the LS6, manual trans, that was as foreign to Caddy as the Escalade, but they did it anyway.  

Look at how hard they downplayed the GTO, G8 and later the SS.   Once it became clear Cadillac was the upscale performance brand, Pontiac had no hope and the SS was simply an afterthought of the defunct G8.   

you don’t have to believe me about the performance hierarchy, but it is true.   I once asked a truck engineer why no reg-cab, short-bed, 5.3 Colorado/Canyons?  He said oh well, CAFE and take rate.  

I asked-too much pressure on the new Camaro?

he said yes.  

Remember the b-body Impala SS?  LT1, but due to “packaging” only 260 HP.   It had WAY better packaging than the Camaro or Corvette.   Can’t have a full-sized luxury performance car with more power than the front-drive North Star Caddy.   

that is the way it is at GM.   

mbr2000
Intermediate Driver

About your Colorado/Canyon comment: I think both Ford and GM are missing out on a huge market. If they made a short bed, single cab version of the Colorado/Canyon and Ranger, they probably wouldn't be able to keep them on their lots. And dealers could advertise base models at "near loss-leader" pricing to increase store traffic and steer some of the customers to their monster truck lineups, with optional step ladders for entry!

Back in the 70s-80s, I had two Ford Couriers, one Mazda B2000, and a Toyota pickup. Mitsubishis and Nissans were also quite popular. They were perfect for homeowners and even some contractors. And I could probably get more stuff in the beds than in the new de facto standard 5.5 ft beds. I mean, what's with that?
CitationMan
Instructor

Prior to the SUV tsunami, the model for GM to follow was right there for all to see, but they just couldn’t execute it. It’s Corolla/Camry/Civic/Accord. Toyota and Honda will still be making those models after GM’s next bailout.

BMD4800
Instructor

Had a Camry.  It was good, but didn’t do anything “great”.   Solid, predictable, certainly no less trouble free than any of our other vehicles on the long term.  

mbr2000
Intermediate Driver

And now we see Ford totally giving up on the 4-door sedan market, leaving it to Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, and Kia. It's all ahead full with pickups, SUVs, and strange-looking EVs. If you go to Ford.com and click on "CARS", all you'll see is the gasoline-powered Mustang. Even their Fusion Hybrids are 2020 models, which implies "leftovers".
Smithsonite
Intermediate Driver

Yep, I've got an '07 Silverado 1500 LT2 4x4 extended cab, with the failure prone 5.3 flex engine. First new vehicle I ever bought in my life, and after this experience, will be the LAST. Biggest POS I've ever had the burden of owning!!

Always had GM products as a teen and into my 20's. I beat the crap out of those vehicles, cars and trucks, and never had a problem. I was in my 30's when I bought the Silverado. After 2 pages of MA driving record, I had slowed WAY down. Still, this pile has given me nothing but grief. Brakes pulsated right off the showroom floor with 40 miles on the clock. Door trim fell off the first week I owned it. Lower ball joints didn't even make 40k miles, and the uppers, struts, and hub bearings barely made 50k. Around that time, the engine starts burning oil and the front diff starts leaking out the output seals. Got 20k miles out of the Moog replacement hub bearings! Had intermittent 4x4 issues since 2k miles the dealer kicked down the road until I was out of warranty - ended up being the 4x4 switch. Not to mention the driveline clunks, and interior squeaks and rattles while my 266,000 mile '94 K1500 was SILENT .. then at 97k, during a fluid change, I noticed chunks of metal coming out the rear diff - all the spider gears shed 90% of the teeth tips off! For no good reason! Also, the G80 clutch was fried to a cinder - metal-on-metal. Then at 103k miles, 3rd and 4th gear turned into neutral like a light switch - one minute it worked, the next I was driving back home at 4k RPM in 2nd.

I've got 113k miles on it now - just waiting for the inevitable AFM lifter failure, or #2 cam bearing walkout. Could happen any day now. I've been using a Range AFM disabler for the past 30k miles or so, so hopefully I can kick the can down the road a bit. We'll see if she makes 200k miles - that would be a record for this engine.

Meanwhile, the driveline clunk that started at 2k miles is louder than ever. I suspect a transfer case failure any day now as well. Thanks GM! You ##$! #(*&@ 's !!
56NomadJohn
Pit Crew

It’s amazing how off topic these conversations get. One talks about Buick and Oldsmobile, another about his Mercury, another about his Silverado. Wasn’t the article about Pontiac?
Dynis
New Driver

"Original Muscle Car"? What about the 1957 Golden Hawk, supercharged 289 by Studebaker. Or the 1963 Avanti which set dozens of speed records?
drjon4u2
New Driver

Actually it was the 1956 Golden Hawk with Packard’s 275-horsepower 352 cubic-inch V8 engine.
69Charger
New Driver

Actually it was the 1950 Hudson Hornet
mpzz
Detailer

Muscle car refers to big, powerful V8 in a small or intermediate, lightweight car. So, yeah, the GTO was the first.
Diego
Detailer

So a 2+2 is not a muscle car?
Diego
Detailer

Those aren't muscle cars.
jbucking
New Driver

I still have issues with the GTO being the FIRST muscle car when Chevrolet was producing models in 1962 (and a few in 1961) with more than 400hp with the 409 motor. A 1962 Chevy Biscyane was also lighter than the GTO by nearly 100 lbs. I am not sure how the GTO gets the credit...
mpzz
Detailer

Biscayne was a full size car. Performance car? Yeah, but not small enough to be a muscle car.
Diego
Detailer

The Chevelle SS 396 wasn't developed because of a 409 big car.
ThumperUSMC
Intermediate Driver

I had a 1968 GTO. I still miss that car.
Was fantastic doing burnouts, as long as the rear end was at the "sweet spot" as I called it, in lift, due to having air shocks on it. I could light up the tires and go through all four gears smokin' 'em. Went through a lot of tires back then.
Sadly, in 1976, my wife let her brother use it, while I was busy flying for the Marine Corps on a month long journey all through the Pacific Ocean, doing a Trans-Pac, which was bringing two squadrons of fighters from California over to Okinawa,
He promptly wrecked it on the side of a hill near Bakersfield. I promptly wrecked him when I found out. He could be repaired, unfortunately, my GTO could not. The only thing I could salvage from it was the Muncie M21 transmission and the Hurst shifter handle atop the shifter. The rest was beyond any hope... even the engine was torn apart. Surprised he lived through it when I saw the car. He still insists to this day he was only going 45 mph when he hit the side...
Ah well, such is the Fickle Finger of Fate...
Landshark
New Driver

Hey ThumperUSMC, I feel your loss as I too had a '68 GTO.  You mentioned you saved your shifter handle, do you by any chance have a picture of it?  I have a couple of handles laying around from mine but I can't remember which one was the original. Thanks for your time. 

mpzz
Detailer

Nobody drives my stuff. Still got the wife?
tbenvie
Pit Crew

Well a feel good answer-I purchased a 68 GTO convert to flip back in the early 80s. Guy calls me up and begs me to hold it until he could come later in the evening as he had one like it and it was sold when he was drafted. Not a problem to wait. He came with his old registration-it was his old car! Needless to say I didn't make any profit on this car and last I saw about 10 years ago he still had it.
Rodewaryer
Pit Crew

1st Ferrari GTO appeared Dec 1961, racing at major events 1962, BS comments about how many were made are moot, it's a stolen name. Very first outing 2nd at Sebring, 2nd at Le Mans twice, it won overall at Spa, Monthlery, Goodwood and the Tour De France. Then there's the topic of the car's design with which there is no contest.
mpzz
Detailer

Aren't we touchy?
DrWho
Pit Crew

In 1963 Pontiac offered the LeMans with a small block V8 - 326 c.i. Apparently you could also get a Buick Aluminum V8 (215 c.i.), although I have never seen one. It was available as a hardtop and convertible. Based on the Tempest, the LeMans had a rear mounted transaxle for better weight distribution, available as an automatic or 4 speed. The thin driveshaft was called a "rope drive". These are pretty rare today, but were the forerunner to the larger GTO that followed.
berigan
New Driver

The gto was not the first g.m. muscle car that was the 1936 Buick Century that put the Roadmaster 323 cu in eight into the lighter Special body. Second muscle car Olds 88 which put 303 cu. in V8 98 engine into smaller lighter body Berigan
mpzz
Detailer

GTO was still the first.
Diego
Detailer

How did the NHRA factor it?
Buddy8746
Pit Crew

Back in 1967, when i was 14, my dad was the GM of an Olds dealership and they traded in a '65, Tri-Power 4-speed GTO that I learned to do burnouts with in the back of the dealership. Back then, G.T.O. stood for "Go To Olds". Great memories!
Bryan1956
New Driver

First of all, I never owned a GTO, I did however, special factory order a ‘62 Super Duty 421 Catalina. Best drag strip time was a 12.63 with the aluminum headers and a 4.30 diff. However, about mid-‘62 a max wedge 413 showed up at the track and did a 12.70 and he drove it to the track. I figured out that there wasn’t much future given the weight penalty and decided the answer was to wait for the ‘63 Tempest. Using Pontiac’s “wholesale compensation” race support plan, a loan from GMAC and Pontiac’s little high performance parts booklet, a friend and I put a McKeller #12 cam SD 421 in a white ‘63 Tempest. We used a 3 speed B/W trans and a rear out of a ‘59 Catalina. We left the 326 emblems on the fenders and had the most fun street racing I ever had.
sk8np8n
New Driver

Ahhh: Memories of the Favorite car I've ever owned. 1968 Gold GTO Convertible. 4 on the floor.
Lived in San Diego at the time and one morning, leaving my apartment for work, I discovered my "hood" had been stolen in the night. Just the hood joints sticking up in the air. Don't remember the details of how it got replaced but it shows how popular that beautiful machine was. What a great vehicle!
New Driver

Why is the 63 Tempest 326 never mentioned? Seems to me it had the essentials of compact body and v8 power even if it wasn’t a barn burner!
mpzz
Detailer

Didn't have the big block high performance engine.
Geok86
Advanced Driver

No Pontiac ever had a big block high performance engine, as all factory Pontiac blocks were externally the same, until the 301.
Geok86
Advanced Driver

All V8s externally same.
Dsping62
New Driver

I might be wrong,look up 421 428 other s
Geok86
Advanced Driver

You are wring 265-455 all same block dimensions (essentially a small block).
Geok86
Advanced Driver

Wrong
Rig2race
New Driver

I once owned a 1965 GTO with a 4 speed. I loved that car. I had it from 18 years old to 21. I got married to a woman that had a child so it was instant family. That was 1969 and I still am married to her. She is the best thing to ever have happened to me. But I do miss that GTO. I traded it to my Dad for a 1966 Chevy Biscayne with a six and powerslide. Talk about culture shock that is it. 

sk8np8n
New Driver

AAH: What great memories of the favorite car I've ever owned.
1968 Gold GTO Convertible with 4 on the floor.
I lived in San Diego at the time (19720 and remember, clearly, walking out of my apartment near the beach to go to work and found the "hood" had been stolen. Just the hood holder brackets sticking up in the air. Can't remember the details on how it got replaced but have never run into a better story about how popular that car was. Loved it then, miss it now!
KYColonel
Intermediate Driver

In 1970, I bought a new GTO/auto. It was green with black interior and a black vinyl top. I was never truly satisfied with that car. I eventually traded the GTO for a used 1970 Pontiac Trans Am. The TA was my favorite muscle car of that era. Today, at the age of 70, I drive a C5 Corvette that I purchased 21 years ago. It's my all-time favorite car.
Superbee70
New Driver

I love them all. My first car was a 67 Mustang that my Dad gave me. After I passed the Mustang to my brother, I had a long love affair with Goats: Several 68s, a few 69s, a couple of 65s, 70s, and a 73. Hardtops and convertibles, stick and automatics. Now I have Mopars, but back in the early 70s, Mopars were the competition.

I have also had RA IIIs, IVs, and a V. The RA IV was the most impressive, free reving and a freight train once it got going.

I love the pics in this article. The styling--all of them--still appeals to me decades later, especially the 65. I also like the article, but there is an error. The 64 through 68 Goats had "6.5 litre" emblems, not 6.4. And they always spelled it "litre." Yes, the math was a little off, but that's the way the emblems were. They removed the 6.5 in 69.

Nice article--loved it.
70-Z28-RS-LT-1
Pit Crew

Back in the day, my buddies '67 GTO was the first car I ever rode in, where the vehicle actually broke 100 mph. Was a nice rush. Still remember the song we were rocking out to at the time. Was Led Zepp's 'Misty Mountain Hop', while doing 110mph down the highway, before he had to let off the gas because of traffic. Good times!
bjc815
New Driver

"the GTO’s impact-resistant color-matched Endura rubber front bumper stuck around through 1972. Developed by the Dayton Rubber Company in cooperation with Pontiac, it was exclusive to the GTO, but Pontiac also used the Endura bumper on the 1970–73 Firebird."
Not quite exclusive to the GTO and Firebird. The 1969 Bonneville had an Endura nose piece, and an elongated oval insert in the rear bumper as well.
K5
New Driver

The Endura bumper was also available on 69 Camaros.
Diego
Detailer

The 1969 Firebird also used Endura.
rpjasin
New Driver

I love GTOs, however, the first muscle car is was/is the 1955 Chrysler 300, period. The car that "swept the field" at Daytona. For 1955 is was "America's most powerful stock car". First time ever for a mass produced car to offer 300 HP. Lowered body, limited use of chrome, record setting speeds. powered by a dual carb 331 cubic inch hemi. The first and best!