cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13 tech details that make BMW R18 a retro-modern marvel

When BMW Motorrad opted to attack the cruiser segment, it went all-in with the largest boxer engine in corporate history. Thoroughly modern but strongly reflecting BMW’s historical designs, the R18 uniquely combines performance with heritage. Here is some of the technological firepower lurking under that elegant black-and-white tuxedo paintjob.

Catch the full list on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/13-tech-details-that-make-bmw-r18-a-retro-modern-marvel/

Replies (11)

Replies (11)

With all the electronic gizmos manufacturers are putting on bikes I'm surprised that no one has added the obvious one - a gyroscopic stabilizer to keep it upright when stopped. 

Detailer

As a motorcyclist, I can say that I would keep going on this one. The entire reason for riding a motorcycle is to shake OFF all the excess, and get in connection with a machine and surroundings. Slipper clutches, traction control, keyless ignition, throttle management on deceleration, blah blah blah. If you need all of the "rider aids" too keep the shiny side up, then a motorcycle is NOT for you. PERIOD!

Instructor

Basically most of the control has been taken away from the rider and given to the computer. 

In three years it will be at the dealership more than on the road.

Pit Crew

I love the looks of the bike, but I am done with BMW forever. They throw so much technology that this is no longer a motorcycle that I would buy. Keyless? Who needs it? 
The dealer has a bungee cord on your wallet. I had the last decent bike they built, the RNINET, and it was beautiful and I loved that bike. Unfortunately, it wasn’t as reliable as their reputation with one summer lost due to an entire engine tear down. There were three recalls on the bike, one for a faulty start/stop switch that was a cheapie Chinese unit that had no place on a $17,000 bike. Constant dealership checkups and ineffective repairs. No more!

New Driver

I don't like the electronic throttle, and don't really care much for the keyless switch, but other than that it sounds great! At least you can turn the traction control off if you want more of an old-school experience. I think the brakes acting together is much better for normal riding, but it's going to be hard to do a burn-out if you can't hole the front brake independently. Not an issue for me, I outgrew showing off like that years ago! Just burning a tire up ($$$) just to please a crowd of people (that I likely don't know...) isn't my cup of tea.

Intermediate Driver

Isn't the idea of a slipper clutch to do the same thing as the electronic "engine drag torque control?"

New Driver

I have to have this bike! 

Pit Crew

THEY GOT THE MUFFLERS TOTALLY WRONG, SOME GAY GUY MUST OF HAD A HAND IT THAT

New Driver

But no cruise control.  How could something so obvious be missed. 

Passenger

Nice bike except tor the mufflers, they are ugly.

Passenger

Very nicely Done!  GittyUp

Passenger