cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

13 tech details that make BMW R18 a retro-modern marvel

When BMW Motorrad opted to attack the cruiser segment, it went all-in with the largest boxer engine in corporate history. Thoroughly modern but strongly reflecting BMW’s historical designs, the R18 uniquely combines performance with heritage. Here is some of the technological firepower lurking under that elegant black-and-white tuxedo paintjob.

Catch the full list on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/13-tech-details-that-make-bmw-r18-a-retro-modern-marvel/

18 REPLIES 18
cwpm
Pit Crew

I have to have this bike! 

mtrctylarry
Passenger

Very nicely Done!  GittyUp

Richard
Pit Crew

I love the looks of the bike, but I am done with BMW forever. They throw so much technology that this is no longer a motorcycle that I would buy. Keyless? Who needs it? 
The dealer has a bungee cord on your wallet. I had the last decent bike they built, the RNINET, and it was beautiful and I loved that bike. Unfortunately, it wasn’t as reliable as their reputation with one summer lost due to an entire engine tear down. There were three recalls on the bike, one for a faulty start/stop switch that was a cheapie Chinese unit that had no place on a $17,000 bike. Constant dealership checkups and ineffective repairs. No more!

Guitar74
Gearhead

As a motorcyclist, I can say that I would keep going on this one. The entire reason for riding a motorcycle is to shake OFF all the excess, and get in connection with a machine and surroundings. Slipper clutches, traction control, keyless ignition, throttle management on deceleration, blah blah blah. If you need all of the "rider aids" too keep the shiny side up, then a motorcycle is NOT for you. PERIOD!

Sajeev
Community Manager

I disagree, as I think there is (or should be?) a market for high tech bikes that make it easier for people with various levels of mobility to still ride. As we get older I see some (not all) of these bits making it better for us. 

cmuff28
Passenger

Nice bike except tor the mufflers, they are ugly.

spark123
Detailer

Basically most of the control has been taken away from the rider and given to the computer. 

In three years it will be at the dealership more than on the road.

Guitar74
Gearhead

That was exactly my point about all of my comment earlier. CONTROL is why you ride a bike. If you took all of that away I would probably like it. Wait a second. Judging by how my brother in law couldn't hang with me from a traffic light through 3 gears on his 1100 rt, I think I will still pass.
Zephyr
Instructor

With all the electronic gizmos manufacturers are putting on bikes I'm surprised that no one has added the obvious one - a gyroscopic stabilizer to keep it upright when stopped. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

That would be huge! 

theMucker
Pit Crew

Ignoring the huge cost and complexity of adding a gyroscope with the capacity to hold the bike upright, it would fight the rider when he initialized a turn. Motorcycles are supposed to lean while turning. A gyroscope would be a disaster because it will ALWAYS strive to stay upright. Especially when pulling away from a stop AND making an immediate turn, the result would be a crash.
gg
New Driver

Isn't the idea of a slipper clutch to do the same thing as the electronic "engine drag torque control?"

Dfrakes2
Passenger

But no cruise control.  How could something so obvious be missed. 

theMucker
Pit Crew

The shipment of "First Editions" all had the same packages and no cruise control. Successive shipments will be "as ordered" and cruise control is an option. The First Edition package has been replaced with the "Special Edition" package, which is essentially the same thing, but lacking the First Edition commemorative copper badges & other sundries.
farna
Advanced Driver

I don't like the electronic throttle, and don't really care much for the keyless switch, but other than that it sounds great! At least you can turn the traction control off if you want more of an old-school experience. I think the brakes acting together is much better for normal riding, but it's going to be hard to do a burn-out if you can't hole the front brake independently. Not an issue for me, I outgrew showing off like that years ago! Just burning a tire up ($$$) just to please a crowd of people (that I likely don't know...) isn't my cup of tea.

DavidSuzyWilson
Pit Crew

THEY GOT THE MUFFLERS TOTALLY WRONG, SOME GAY GUY MUST OF HAD A HAND IT THAT

theMucker
Pit Crew

There is an option to get cruise control.
Throttle by wire is the modern standard with fuel injection. It does a better, simpler job of working with fuel injection and it eliminates the cable(s) that come with their own maintenance and potential for breakage.
The exhaust system definitely falls into the love it or hate it category. At least it's not just another common looking megaphone or pipe-with-a-fishtale-tip. Personally, I like the shape, but I would prefer it without the upper & lower exposed seams.
Mine is on order and I hope it will arrive soon.
Guitar74
Gearhead

A motorcycle should REQUIRE you to actually ride it and know your input. This it what makes them both dangerous for the uninitiated, but fun for those who care to actually ride it. Taking those things away just makes them another crappy way of taking the driver out of the car.