cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

13 details to know about the Z06's 670-hp LT6 V-8

When Chevrolet unveiled the 2023 Corvette Z06 at the Petersen Automotive Museum, several development engineers were on hand to answer our feverish questions. Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter fielded them with grace, but the man of the hour was Chevrolet small-block assistant chief engineer Dustin Gartner.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/13-things-you-didnt-know-about-chevys-670hp-lt6-v...
95 REPLIES 95
mbr2000
Advanced Driver

Even if EVs account for 25% of cars on the road in 10 years (which is probably a stretch), I suspect we'll be driving and refueling ICEs well into the second half of the century. Longer if electric power generating stations and distribution infrastructure can't keep up with battery charging demand. That applies to home garages with two or more cars charging overnight, as well as tens (or hundreds?) of thousands of charging stations across the country. And I'd bet the majority of existing homes can't handle two Level 2 charging stations running at the same time as an A/C system and electric dryer. Solar and wind can't do it alone, and even hydroelectric is controversial. And forget about nuclear and even relatively clean natural gas. Both are political hot potatoes.

KrullTheWarrior
Pit Crew

You can buy a Tesla, and REALLY mess with the environment. Remember 1 thing, we humans can't control the Sun's cycles of solar flaring, or lack thereof, which has caused the Earth to heat and cool several times. As far as emissions for health reasons, today's cars of any kind or make, are way better than that beautiful 455GS in the emissions dept., and that's a good thing for the lungs. Hydrogen technology is getting better and better, and to me, will be far superior than the idiotic electric car craze. But nothing beats the whine of an engine "spewing" horsepower out the whazoo!!!!
BB66Vett
Intermediate Driver

Better hurry and buy one before Mary Barra takes all Vettes electric.
BMD4800
Engineer

Mary will be gone as soon as someone more woke and diverse is eligible to replace her. Meanwhile, GM still builds V8s.
mbr2000
Advanced Driver

Absolutely insane! Don't know what the price will be, but probably no more than 50% of comparable Euro supercars. Would like to see Nuremberg lap times.
bogey52
Pit Crew

This is an engine Ferrari could only dream of making, but Chevy could use some major help in the exterior design department, maybe Italian? This is a comic book car from any angle! The Viper was 10 x better looking, the GT 40 100 X better! And then there is the AMG GT as well as back to Ferrari. Considering their recent improvement in style Chevy might ask Hyundai for help!
Bouskill
New Driver

This engine s certainly impressive but what we really need is an engine that deliver power without throwing off any heat. Virtually all of the fuel needs to be converted to power and we need technology like this immediately. Possibly we could develop an engine using electric plasma to drive pistons rather than work as a rocket as a fuel source better than gasoline? Or possibly a way to compress air and add a tiny bit of gasoline to support plasma combustion ? Here is a video explaining the situation. https://youtu.be/RdU0GpWCvM8
TristramBuckley
Intermediate Driver

Weight???? I am a Ferrari die-hard who has grown up with the Ferrari V8s, but now it is clear the final evolution of the V8 will be its greatest---and it was not by Ferrari, but by GM. For Pete's sake, how is it possible none of these journalists have asked what the engine weighs???? And why no questions about when a crate motor will be made available for sale with a stand alone management system? Yes, some of us for the first time EVER see the validity of putting an American V8 in the back of a Ferrari as it is the better engine. While on the subject of efficiency, what is the fuel economy rated at in MPG?
RobRou
New Driver

It’s only a kilogram heavier than the LT2 in the base C8, so figure 474 or 475 pounds, with fluids, including the oil tanks, which are engine-mounted. The 1 kilogram figure is per Dustin Gartner in another interview.
TristramBuckley
Intermediate Driver

The same week Ferrari kills the V8 and tells its dealers no more F8 orders will be accepted as Ferrari gears up for its hybrid V6, GM announces the greatest V8, a flat plane V8, ever. In terms of engines, sorry Ferrari, GM now has you beat in the mid-engine V8 department. (Now if only GM could design an aesthetically beautiful body for their amazing V8.)
ConfuciusRacing
Detailer

Wow on 2 counts.
1. Innovation, this is a forward thinking engine with lots of cool tricks to minimize parasitic losses and boost power. Cool
2. And speaking of innovation, when's the last time Ferrari had a press conference with an engine cut away and opened their Kimono so to speak sharing all the engineering secrets?

Bravo GM
daveott3
Pit Crew

Who designed the engine? Government Motors certainly doesn't have the in-house talent to have done it themselves!
CitationMan
Gearhead

The article I read:
-Has the name of a GM engineer, Dustin Gartner
-Has a photo of Mr. Gartner
-Has quotes from Mr. Gartner with extensive information on how GM designed this V8
mbr2000
Advanced Driver

Why in the world would you say that?  GM's problems have historically been caused by bean-counting CEOs like Fred Donner and Roger Smith, not their engineering staff.   Have to say, even with the success of the Corvette C6.R, C7.R, and now the C8.R in international endurance racing, I'm sure there are Harvard MBA types in Detroit trying to shut down the program.

KrullTheWarrior
Pit Crew

Some like this, some don't like that...blah blah blah.....All I know for sure is....I WANT ONE! Option list to follow! lol Carpe Diem Y'all
Daniel
Intermediate Driver

Carillo very good! CP not sure about that. I had 2 CP piston failures in my Honda 450. They cracked across the intake valve reliefs. The CP's were twice the price. Switched to Wiesco and no more issues. It will be hard to get your hands on one of these monsters!
mbr2000
Advanced Driver

Interesting.  Did you get in touch with Carrillo about the failures?  Those guys have been known for many years as one of the premier manufacturers of crankshafts, pistons, and rods.

Daniel
Intermediate Driver

How do you know the price?
mbr2000
Advanced Driver

Lots of speculation about that.  Car & Driver thinks it will be around $90K.  Others say it will closer to $100K.

rtbasey
Detailer

I believe a drop under $90,000 base but expect some big numbers after add ons and upgrades, particularly the carbon fiber if you want a decked out Z07 version. I wish they had followed Lamborghini, McLaren and Porsche with more choices of exotic colors. We have a all new mid-engine supercar here with a revolutionary engine, why stay traditional on body colors? Let Ferrari remain the traditional dinosaur. What's wrong with purple and greens...charge extra...those carbon fiber wheels are not going to be a bargain!
Teampantera
Intermediate Driver

I love it and I am all about Ford power.
Nothing I dont love about it except maybe the price. 😉
rtbasey
Detailer

I love Ford GTs...but talk about not loving prices. That car is very simply overpriced excessively in my opinion. I believe the legend of the GT40 has permitted those numbers.
Alfanorth
Intermediate Driver

So, now please tell us where exactly all that power can be legally used.
Last time I checked, there were no Autobahns anywhere in North America.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee
JSievers
Instructor

Yeah. Fine. Now drop the 10-liter (632), 1,000-horsepower big block in the car and you’ll have a real American sports car. No replacement for displacement Euro poseurs.
eighthtry
Advanced Driver

I might have to give up my 2018 Z07. Unbelievable. The one thing that would concern me early is engine mechanical knowledge at the dealer level. I suspect this engine out techs the techs. It will likely have the first year jitters with some odd but damn complicated thing not working right. I wonder how that gets resolved?
Inline8OD
Technician

We can get this sort of pablum from Motor Trend and a dozen other pimple mags. In addition to Hagerty's breathless daily regurgitation of Chevrolet press releases, how much does GM kick back for this relentless torrent of publicity?
Fawning over super car du jour reminds us of boys of any age afraid of real women salivating over airbrushed girls in skin mags.
120+ years of autodom, and Hagerty resorts to me-too press releases with filler like to-do lists for those unable to wrest themselves from online comfort food, and the travails of renting a pick up truck.
Look at a 1926-27 Delage Grand Prix engine and a thousand others.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

This information didn't come from a press release, it came from a first-hand interview with one of the men that developed the engine. Forgive us for being interested in and writing about the most powerful naturally aspirated V-8 engine that Chevrolet may ever put into a production vehicle.
mbr2000
Advanced Driver

This is just one of many nasty comments about the latest Corvette, the engine, GM etc. And why does a well-written article about a wonderful new engine turn into a name-calling, condemnation of GM engineers, and calls for more EVs? Seems like there is no shortage of EV forums, and this ain't one of them. It's not close to Christmas yet, but the Grinch is already with us!

Oldroad1
Gearhead

Because as the miles pile we've all seen the awful truth. IE, oil leak issues of the duel clutch thats only been out for what? A year?
BryanRaabDavis
New Driver

I guess with Oldsmobile gone Chevrolet is now the Rocket Division
trypower
New Driver

Magnificent engine really. But somehow I'd rather have the 632 in a 70 Chevelle SS and listen to the rock crusher whine instead. And just one radiator please.
Garytans
New Driver

The picture in the each engine will have a 20 minute break-in cycle section in the background appears to be a 1963 Corvette. The back of it looks like a station wagon. Interesting.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

It's a 1963 Corvette Z06, there's just another vehicle behind it as well.
Garytans
New Driver

In the each engine will have a twenty minute break-in dyno cycle picture in the background appears to be a 1963 Corvette. And the rear of the Corvette appears to look like a station wagon. Interesting.
petersalt
Advanced Driver

Event and pictures are at the Bowling Green Corvette Museum .. and the historic vettes from every dream design are there either in steel and fibreglass or in pictures in the wings.
PaulTravers
Pit Crew

Long time was the day every boy dreams owning a corvette. And the day GM engineers decided Aluminum is perfect to constructing gasoline engines but absolutely not durable for diesel engines kinda put the end to the American sports car! I guess the dreams now for this generation is to read the 60s dynasty of Super Sports and ponder the thoughts of what transpired the evolution of performance and become the new Shelby to build your own!!!
Ark-med
Detailer

Why only a twenty minute dyno break-in? They'll certainly have enough time for a full break-in, while waiting for delayed infotainment chip production to catch up. And I request them to create a YouTube channel with videos of every engine's break-in run, just for the music.

02-orignal-ownr
Advanced Driver

It'll be interesting to see how many Chevrolet dealerships will have a mechanic who can work on that engine when it needs it...It's a very sophisticated piece of machinery: I suspect it won't suffer fools gladly if they don't know what they're doing.
Smithsonite
Intermediate Driver

I've found modern GM engines to look fantastic on paper. Then the real world comes along and turns it into an over-engineered, expensive, unreliable, 500-pound mass of low-bidder parts that will make you scream in frustration when you have to put a wrench to it.

Case in point: my '07 Silverado with the 5.3. Started burning oil and making metal at 50k miles! Only reason this engine is still alive today I attribute to my use of Amsoil Signature Series 10W-30, dumped between 5-7k miles, and a Range AFM disabler. There was no saving the rear end or transmission, which both failed close to 100k miles - 97k for the rear, and 103k for the trans. Hard for me to get excited about any new GM engineering anymore. That truck soured me on modern vehicles in general.

That, and the TikTok post of a C8 Corvette with under SIXTY miles on the clock puking valves into the combustion chamber ...
Oldroad1
Gearhead

...and the transmissions already leaking fluid after a year's service.
chrisbye
Intermediate Driver

Remember when they said the new smog regulations would be the end of high performance engines?
Daniel
Intermediate Driver

You will want to buy the extended warranty on this one! CP pistons are not " bulletproof ". Having used CP pistons with poor results(cracked domes). Using CP pistons is like using LG batteries. gm went low bid on the pistons. Wonder what else they cheaped out on? Beautiful engine, I hope it lasts.
corv3tte
Intermediate Driver

Nice engine, nice car...but I'll still take a smooth, sleek build even with less horsepower...WHAT ? WAIT ! .... I didn't mention ANYTHING about C5.
hyperv6
Collector

I can see that many here by their comments really don’t grasp just how well designed this engine is. The real devil is in the details here and there are a ton of details.

This engine has taken the step up but not sacrificing durability. In other words no 30,000 mile check up you can’t afford.

I know there are still some Corvette haters and some Corvette owners with a front engine test hate this car but you are only hurting yourself not appreciating just how good this car is.

We would never have gotten here with out the previous Corvettes and with out the mid engine we may not have gotten much of a future with out it.

All these cars should be enjoyed and celebrated. Even the Vega wheeled Vette with its flaws did its part to keep the brand alive.

Now let’s hope GM remains smart and does not apply tbe Corvette name to anything but a 2 seat sports car. This car and name has equity beyond most in history or at this price range. Don’t screw it ip now to play on buyers with a name plate on something that it’s not.

I can tell the difference between Jack and Cola so please respect even those who can’t.
eighthtry
Advanced Driver

Great piece!!! I learned a long time ago that in order to buy performance I may have to put up with some slight shortcomings in looks. Kind of like the woman who cooks, cleans, goes fishing and hunting, has sex drive but only average looks. I will take average looks every time in my old age. Because in her old age her looks will be dated anyway. Much like all car designs.