cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

12 parts you wish were still available for your car

Odds are, every Hagerty reader either owns an older car or dreams of owning a vehicle that has clearly survived past the manufacturer's intended expiration date. Many times these cars neither have a fully comprehensive aftermarket support system, nor do they have factory support on par with a late model vehicle's overabundant supply of spare parts.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/according-to-you-12-parts-you-wish-were-still-availa...
175 REPLIES 175
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Maybe the proliferation of affordable modeling software and 3D printing will help get some of these parts back into production.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Good thought!
PhillipinSD
Intermediate Driver

Excellent point. But in order to develop those parts will take some high initial investment which might be too high to see a profit in selling those parts. My guess is you are on the right idea but it will take a large player in the parts industry to pull that off in a profitable way.
Tinkerah
Engineer

It would, but the beauty of affordable software and 3D printing makes them feasible for DIY enthusiasts to produce one-offs at home.
DJ
New Driver

A neutral safety switch for a 1959 Edsel (or Fairlane) nobody makes them anymore.
aenthal
Intermediate Driver

Making new parts for any Edsel has always been a problem. (I own a 1960 Edsel--has even less parts available than a 1959) but Edsel owners long ago learned to network. Check out large gatherings of Edsel owners (such as the one in Omaha Nebraska this July) or on line networking resources such as the Edsel Preservation group on Facebook to start this networking process. People have the switch you need.
Luckily, cars drive fine without a neutral safety switch. You just have to make sure nobody drives the car who doesn't understand that. My car went without a NSS for about 10 years. Had some "fun" fights at indoor urban parking garages when the place insisted a valet would park my car (because the cars were parked bumper to bumper, not in stalls) and I refused, saying only I would drive the car. When I got to the part where I explained it started in any gear, and would cause them to crash, they always gave up and found my car a stall.
Hacksaw
Detailer

I had a 55 ford pickup that I put a Pontiac engine in and I didn't have the neutral safety switch. It was parked out in the driveway and I had started it up and then went to do something. Well, it was in drive. It sat there for a bit and suddenly started going forward. Fortunately the garage door was open and it went straight into the garage, ran over my micro midget race car, kept going and finally stopped when the whole mess ran into my big metal lathe. You really should have that switch. Get something on there that works.
petelr
New Driver

You may be able to use the Neutral Saftey Switch that many use on the 55-57 T-Bird.
T7247. Check Larrys Thunderbird.
Tinkerah
Engineer

If you've got a failed original DJ, It's very likely repairable with some patience. After resurrecting countless starter solenoids because they're expensive (to me) I've taken to fixing switches of all types just because I can. Carefully remove the rivets, separate the housing in a confined area to contain any springs, clean the muck off the contacts, burnish them with an eraser and reassemble with appropriate hardware. Voila! Think kindly of me while enjoying fully functioning switch!
JPaulV
Intermediate Driver

I the case where you have a Ford style starter switch, removing the three rivets on the bottom and then loosening the side bolts, you can rotate the bolt heads to give you a new surface. The replace the rivets with self tapping screws going into the bottom plate (the holes where the rivets used to be.
JPaulV
Intermediate Driver

Does the neutral safety switch screw into the back of the transmission? If so, some of the later Studebaker Larks used the same transmissions as Ford and the Neutral safety switch screwed in toe back of the transmission.
The other option is to use a neutral safety switch that was incorporated in the shift linkage or at the bottom of the steering column. Was it a slider type of switch or a lever arm and a rotary switch? Do you have part numbers? this can be a big help in determining interchangeability. I did a quick search and found 4 available now (June 22, 2022 @12:22AM). I used DuckDuckGo to search. It appears that the switch was a mechanical switch and was actuated by the shift mechanism. Many years ago I used a neutral safety switch to actuate my '51 Studebaker rear brake lights off the movement of the brake pedal arm under the floor. That particular switch I used is still available.
Good luck hunting.
One way to track down this stuff is to determine what was used in other makes of cars and see if the part you are looking for is the same there. A Hollander's Interchange Manual is a big help.
88FieroGT
New Driver

Front wheel bearings for the 1988 Fieros. Suspension and brakes were all re-engineered for the next generation that never happened.
JPaulV
Intermediate Driver

Try an industrial bearing supply company.
onteo
Pit Crew

The urethane front bumper for both the 1972 - 73 Mustang
BossGreg
Detailer

1971-1973 bumpers and fast back rear interior quarter panels in white and other colors besides black. Dying the available black ones won't last when you have fold down seats
JPaulV
Intermediate Driver

What about actually painting the parts using a flex additive like that used with urethane fascias? An interior dye and an exterior paint are not the same thing.
Tomcat59
Intermediate Driver

I'm on the second Jeep Grand Wagoneer I'm refurbishing for my wife. These 80's GW were gussied up with early electric assists for the windows, tailgate glass, power locks seats and the dreaded outside mirrors. By now most of this stuff no longer works. None of the switches are available. I've been able to salvage window and power lock switches by disassembling, cleaning and reassembling with a little dialectic grease and have about a 50% success rate. The outside mirror switch is the holy grail on these. If you can find a used one, there is a 50/50 chance it will work and stay working. And its not like my 71 C20 Chevy truck or 66 Chevelle SS where most every nut, bolt and gasket is readily available. So a high price to pay to be in the Waggy club.
MomsTA
New Driver

We own Second Gen Graveyard in TN. We have a huge selection of Original parts and also resell for Cold Case, Classic, Jefs, Pypes, etc. If you are looking for 1 specific piece for your F body we probably have it or know someone who can help you out. We ship worldwide, too!
MomsTA
New Driver

Those G8 parts you find, yes, stockpile them now. Very hard to find when you need them. The hood vents are being 3d’d but I haven’t seen them in person. Also, the vintage 1 piece Crager louvers for the 2nd Gen birds, very sought after.
RichardsMG
Pit Crew

I am still amazed as to the wealth of available, reasonably-priced parts for my 1976 MG MIdget 1500, and just about all AH Sprite/Midget models since 1959. It seems British Motor Heritage took over the parts supply and tooling for MG models B, BGT and Midget/Sprite. In fact, they still stamp out all the body and frame parts, as well as complete manufactured shells of those models. Also, they make many of the other parts and pieces for many components. Moreover, since they own the parts plans, they send orders to other manufacturers to make them. And, they have parts for many Triumph vehicles , too. Their parts are order-able directly or through many distributors in Europe, North America, Australia, India and SE Asia.

See: https://www.bmh-ltd.com/
wsb1960tr3a
Pit Crew

I drive a 1953 Morgan and a 1960 Triumph TR3A. Parts availability is excellent!
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Sure, rub it in. 😉

That’s because those cars break repeatedly, so you need 17 of every part.

Not to mention Lucas electrics.

The Prince of Darkness.

You know why the Brits drink warm beer, right?

They have Lucas refrigerators….
miniboB
New Driver

Genuine GLASS headlamp assy. For S2K. The feds did it to us when they outlawed glass.
Mermanp
Pit Crew

Zeta Platform Owners
Check out GTOG8TA.COM
schristen
New Driver

Rare as hens teeth: Dellorto DHLB 35 carbs for my Lancia Fulvia S2 1.3. Straight replacement of original Solexes with much better mechanical setup for tuning.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Well yeah. No surprise.

You’ll find a purple unicorn first.
FlBoy
Intermediate Driver

I seem to recall a class action lawsuit against CR Laurence because those power rear windows tended to leak. Great company though, I sold their products for many years.
Sajeev
Community Manager

That makes me sad, that's such a great design for a great vehicle. 

majorbob
Intermediate Driver

I personally think that the parts I most seek for my one owner factory Olds 442 W30 are the switches and small electricals. For example, I have a electric grid rear window defogger in my Olds. The original switch for this failed years ago. I took a switch for the variable speed fan blower defogger, tested it to find which terminals were power and 12 volts and installed it. It works great and looks okay but it just isn’t right. Another item is the unique vacuum switch which controls the vacuum signal to the distributed and to the transmission TCS switch. I destroyed mine years ago as a beginning gear hear head who knew more than he knew. I have searched for years for these functional parts. Most of them found in salvage yards are non functional. As a Automotive Technology Engineer I have found ways around these missing items but it would be very nice to get my hands on them at a reasonable price in pristine condition.
There are other small items that are in this category. Fortunately there are many aftermarket reproduction parts now available for my Olds. When I did my frame off restoration several years ago, I was able to purchase hundreds of reproduction parts. So I think that perhaps in the future some company will reproduce these items.
The question now is will I be around to see it and if so will I be healthy enough to install them.
JPaulV
Intermediate Driver

The original electrical switches don't last because they are being tasked with current they weren't designed to handle for very long. If the switches drove relays the switches would likely outlast the cars.
The other question is will you be able to drive it with gasoline in the tank or will the 'climate change' politics get in the way of living. Carbon dioxide is not the climate driver we are being told it is. Carbon dioxide levels rise only when the oceans are warming. The greatest contributor to carbon dioxide is volcanic eruptions, not industry or automobiles or transportation. When the oceans are cooling the carbon dioxide is absorbed and the acidity in the oceans increases. So how can the acidity be increasing if the oceans are warming?
Regardless, the sun drives our climate and it has a much greater effect on climate than any gas. When it warms water vapor fills the atmosphere and it alone is a much greater heat trapper than any other gas in the atmosphere. If carbon dioxide were 4,000 ppm we would be able to raise food crops where it is too dry to farm now. Increased CO2 is like fertilizer to plants.
RoyzToyz
New Driver

I would like to be able to find OEM replacement sun screens that go underneath the T-Tops in a 1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged.
OldFordMan
Advanced Driver

I searched for over a year for the wiper/washer switch for my '68 Torino GT convertible. Finally found a NOS in the box($20) from an eBay seller of miscellaneous household goods! She had it after cleaning out her Dad's basement, she said.
MTB_dude62
Pit Crew

Try and find 1966 Ford Galaxy 500 XL power window master switch. Had to rebuild one, what a pain. Found a rear (NOS) switches. Snatch it up real quick of course.
Jim_K
Pit Crew

Interior rear window trim for a ‘63 Corvette coupe must have been made of unobtainium. I’ve cobbled together the plastic trim from later year models, but finding the metal trim seems impossible.
aenthal
Intermediate Driver

I actually have a simpler supply problem: finding an old fashioned auto glass shop.
The driver's side window in my 1952 Studebaker broke below the level it can be seen, so it doesn't roll up and down any more. No biggie--just replace the glass.
Usual suppliers had none, but each ended their communication with "that's flat glass. You can get it anywhere."
The catch is, "anywhere" means the same thing as nowhere. It joins "rust free" (no charge for any of it) and "ran when parked" (before the squirrels made a nest in the manifold thirty years ago) as one of those little lies. Everyone says you can get it anywhere but when you ask them to name one current, operating, old fashioned auto glass shop that is anywhere, they respond that they have no clue where one is.
I will be using glass from a parts car that is the wrong tint (because I had it in my garage, and did not previously use it because it wasn't quite right. But since I can't get right, I'll substitute what I can get).
I live in an area with a real old fashioned radiator shop, but how long the octogenarian who owns and runs it, will keep working, is unknown. Our parts problem is these glass shops, radiator, carburetor rebuilding shops are disappearing, more than specific model parts.
mainstreetprod
Pit Crew

I live about two blocks from an " old fashioned glass shop", but now that I think about it, they do mainly coffee table tops and windows, not sure if they still do cars. You can add muffler shops to the list, very hard to find one now and everybody with an old car needs one at one time or another. 

Hacksaw
Detailer

Quit looking for an old fashioned glass shop. There are glass shops online that you can submit your drawing to and they send you the part, even put hole in it if necessary.
docjpk
Pit Crew

Hacksaw, I had my 1991 Audi Quattro Coupe at a repair shop and they left the car in their back lot for over a month. A hailstorm cracked the windshield in several places, and we could not find a replacement windshield anywhere so I was told that the car is totaled and after deductible I would get $29. I have searched all over the world for a windshield or even a glass mfg. to no avail. What sources have you found that might be able to save this car from being parted out for lack of a windshield? As I understand it, only 1,760 of these were imported to the US market.
USGUYS
Pit Crew

I saw an episode on a car show that showed a guy take a windshield from another new car and cut it to fit the one that was cracked this is not a DYI project.
Perhaps there is another Audi, VW or ???, that will fit. I can still get windshields for my '91 Honda CRX. Not as rare but just as old.
GC
Intermediate Driver

I saw that, too. It was an episode of Wheeler Dealers while the show was being filmed in L.A. a few years ago. He needed a new windshield for an older Volvo that was no longer available, and he found a windshield shop in L.A. that matched the contours in a new windshield from another car altogether, and he cut a new Volvo windshield from that. Very cool.
parkwood60
New Driver

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info2/895845099P.htm

Having been riding old Hondas and such for decades, here's a trick for finding NOS stuff - Google the part and find the OEM part number. Then google the part number. You may have to page thru lots of garbage results, but then you may find this page at Pelican Parks where they have the part on the shelf but don't know exactly what it is for.
JPaulV
Intermediate Driver

Is this what you are looking for? This has the part number. Maybe you can find what you need using it in a search.
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_1991_Coupe-20v-Coupe-23L-5-cylinder-MT-Quattro/Windshield--A-windsh...
The link came from here,
https://parts.audiusa.com/a/Audi_1991_Coupe-20v-Coupe-23L-5-cylinder-MT-Quattro/49890824__6389562/CO...
JPaulV
Intermediate Driver

Look at the entry for Pelican Parts below here and this is the part number of your windshield,. 895-845-099P, from links I too posted. If Pelican still has it it is about $372.
Good luck
docjpk
Pit Crew

JPaulV, Thanks much for checking into sources for a windshield for my 1991 Audi Coupe. Unfortunately, nothing panned out. Pelican's listing did not reflect anything that they had in stock. No luck at Parts.Audiusa. either. I can't even find a custom glass manufacturer that could duplicate my cracked windshield. Honestly, do people just part out old cars for lack of a windshield? It is baffling to me.
docjpk
Pit Crew

JPaulIV,
I found a company in England that makes windshields and other auto glass for a myriad of cars. It is called Pilkington Glass Co.
They are very responsive and offer a lot of options for every car in terms of tinting and the shade band across the top. They even will do the black paint frame around the edge. It wont be cheap but it beats scrapping my car. Thanks again for looking for me.
JPaulV
Intermediate Driver

Well, your '52 used laminated glass in the side windows, windshields and rear window, whereas most vehicles today use tempered glass in the side windows. If you want tempered glass it cane be had because that is what is used for home interior glass like table tops, etc. You just need to make sure you get the same thickness so the glass fits correctly into the lift frame with the rubber strip.
If you are buying it online you should send the shop a cardboard template of your window. If this is tough imagine what it would be like trying to find the rear windows for a Starlight Coupe or the one piece curved rear window of a '51 or '52 Studebaker sedan which is laminated.
Snailish
Engineer

aenthal I hope you are in the Studebaker Driver's Club. I would think a want ad posting in their magazine would net you the glass you need.

woodenu2
Pit Crew

As an upholster of just cars and boats,it is very hard to source OEM or even close materials for
old cars and trucks, Boats are not as hard, here it is all about the grain pattern.
MeanMrMustard
Intermediate Driver

Well… there are always alternative fabic sources like those for interiors.For instance based on this photograph of upholstery in the article showing brocade I found several examples of polyester brocades that would be applicable to car use, styled very similar to that which is in the photograph. Also I would imagine for anybody going to the expense of redoing the upholstery in their car this would be an opportunity to upgrade to leather and leather is available in any color , even pattern practically imaginable..You just have to hunt for it. So what if leather wasn’t original to the car if it was on the option list why not do it now if you’re gonna go to that expense. Otherwise stick to the school of it’s only original once and live with the patina of a worn interior. For me I’d go new, because I can’t stand when things look shabby.