cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11 of the craziest factory steering wheels

Steering wheels have an important job to do. However, like the cars they control, steering wheels are more fun with some extra flair. Since the interior is sheltered from wind and weather, designers of the past let their imagination run wild with shape, color, texture, and style. While the array of aftermarket steering wheels is mind-boggling, we’ve focused this investigation on 11 of the craziest designs that made it to series production. The list covers more than 50 years of automotive history, but we’ll give it away now—one is the clear winner.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/11-of-the-craziest-factory-steering-wheels/

Replies (61)

Replies (61)

Where is the Edsel with the transmission push buttons in the center of the steering wheel?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletouch

Pit Crew

The rim blow steering wheels of GM, Ford, Chrysler and AMC also are worthy contenders. I believe GM and Ford were first, starting in 1969.

New Driver

Fun article and photos!  But surely the Citroen ID had hydraulic brakes rather than mechanical... although manually rather than power assisted?

Also, an early contender for great steering wheels... the 1942 Desoto Fifth Avenue, with a cigarette dispenser in the hub of the steering wheel!

https://jalopnik.com/cars-once-came-with-built-in-cigarette-dispensers-1795733052

New Driver

The steering wheels from the 1970-1/2 to 1979 Trans AMs are still the best in the world (IMO) followed by the Wooden Steering Wheels offered in the 65-66 Mustangs (that I installed in my 68 Conv. because I liked it so much).

New Driver

How could not list the 1958 Edsel with the push button trans selector in the center of the steering wheel.

Pit Crew

Don't have a picture as I sold almost 50 yrs ago, but '64 Studebaker had a non-round wheel, flat spot at bottom

New Driver

your picture of volvo pv544 is actually a pv444 not 544 (you can see 444 on dash in your picture)and the steering wheel and speedometer totally changed in 1959.

Passenger

Nash steering wheels of 1940 & 41 were unusual. The 40 had a large teardrop center section. The 41 switched to a large round center section but they changed the horn ring to a large disc of clear plastic

New Driver

Probably only worthy of an honorable mention, but 'any 1967 Ford product steering wheel', with its Donut center cushion.  Not sure how many lives it could have saved, if it really wanted to... always seemed to me to be a chest impaler.

corvairmaven_0-1591654841905.jpeg

Passenger

Surprised at the absence of the 1958 Edsel steering wheel with its TeleTouch hub featuring the push buttons for the automatic transmission.

Passenger

Roadsterboy_0-1591636721581.png

I used to own 1980 Renault 5 Turbo 1 (R5)  S/N 0012 That originally was owned by Francois Castaing when he was head of Renault Sport.  280 HP Monster!!! It had a very cool steering wheel and a wild interior.

New Driver

1972 Maserati Boomerang; everyone always looks at its wedge body, but it had that steering wheel with all the Gauges, switches and HVAC levers recessed into the middle of it!

Passenger

When I was about 14, the family car was a '60 Fury.  Although too young to drive yet, our house had a paved driveway easily 75 to 100 yards long.  I thought it a good idea to back the Fury out to the road and see how quickly I could reach the garage, leaving as much tire tread on the driveway as possible.  I had a blast, my Dad had other thoughts.  I'm tempted when I see one occasionally come up at auction.   

New Driver

I really liked my 89 Pontiac SSE steering wheel...same as shown in the GP above.

Passenger

The Subaru XT6 models actually do have the tilting and telescopic dash cluster. I am currently in the process of reviving an '89, and it has it.

New Driver

Some very interesting steering wheels. My top three are; First Place. The 1960 Plymouth. Second Place. The 1956-60 DeSoto Adventurer, with the clock in the middle of the horn. And bringing up the rear in Third place. The 1949 Delahaye 135 M Cabriolet.  With honorable mention to the Volvo (Volvinski) PV 444 banjo style wheel, and the Messerschmitt KR 200. Although it should be turned over so the ends are up like horns on a bull.

Pit Crew

Had a '60 Olds with a pretty crazy looking steering wheel, thought it might have made the list

Passenger

Balerie Allen of Chrysler Design Interior Color and Mastering studio, proposed and developed, a tortoise shell plastic, upper wheel section. Unfortunately, the vendor did NOT maintain secrecy and gave it to  a competitor at the same time, despite all of her work! 

Intermediate Driver

When we were packaging the Chrysler LH series of cars and the later Neon, we researched alternative tilt wheels to the clutzy GM Saginaw wheel. it was not very good or cheap, so we looked at what different packaging and cost benefits could be had. The Subaru with the attached cluster that pivoted at the floor, was the winner. The cluster was always in the right place for all heights of drivers. Somewhere after throwing our recommendations over the wall to engineering, our electronics division in Huntsville AL, made a high pivot one, that became the default wheel. I still have the Subaru column and am holding out for a rod project...

Intermediate Driver

The Citroen DS/ID wheel wasn't done that way just to be quirky.  It was actually a safety feature.  https://citroenvie.com/why-was-the-ds-steering-wheel-designed-that-way/

The more you know...

New Driver

The photo is actually a 1961 Fury though the 1960 is similar.

As a 5 year old in ‘61, I vividly recall my dad at the dealership asking me (welling with pride) if I wanted to see our new car. Already a car lover, I eagerly followed him to the prep area and saw our 1961 Plymouth Savoy wagon in robin-egg blue staring at me. Even at such a young age I knew “That is the ugliest car I’ve ever seen.” wasn’t an appropriate response!

That instrument cluster and steering wheel made up for the exterior shortcomings. All the kids in the neighborhood loved the sequential thermometer style speedometer!

Passenger

My dad had a '51 Studebaker Business Coupe that had a clock in the center of the wheel. It was clear and pointed like the nose on the grille.  

When the title said Eleven, I figured it would probably be all of them, but reading all the comments and thinking about others, wow, there are literally dozens of crazy, beautiful and or interesting steering wheels.  Cool article!!

Pit Crew

Lets not forget Mercury and their Wrist Twist Steering system that made the rounds in 1965 on some of their show cars.  I remember seeing this back in '65 and praying it never makes it to production, thankfully it didn't!  Take a look at it here:

https://historygarage.com/introducing-wrist-twist-near-death-steering-wheel-1965/

Passenger

I think my '93 deVille has the most hideous steering wheel. I love the car and the looks of everything but that stupid box with an airbag in it!

New Driver

The new Corvette C8 steering wheel looks like the 1960 Plymouth Fury wheel.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28951/this-is-the-2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8s-square-steering-wheel

New Driver

60 mph in a Messerschmitt?? I have a friend who is restoring one and although I have never sat in it (as I am afraid I could never get out) its a terrifying prospect to drive one much less make 60!

Pit Crew

The DeSoto Adventurers' steering wheel center and wings are shaped like a Jet!  Inspired by aero. design lines.  That is somewhat overshadowed by the fancy clock though.  If you didn't see it look again.

Pit Crew

My brother's Fiat Super Brava (lates 70's) also had a mono-spoke steering wheel.

New Driver

Early 60’s Oldsmobile deep Vee steering wheel is, in my opinion, a most attractive steering wheel.

Pit Crew

The Austin Allegro has to be a contender. Build in 1973 this was the worst car British Leyland had ever made and the square steering wheel was one of the main talking point . They must have realised this square design was a mistake as the "phase 2" models from 1976 onwards had conventional round steering wheels.

New Driver