cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

11 car and truck models born as trim levels | Hagerty Media

Naming a car can be difficult. Often manufacturers that market their cars in different countries- in different languages-choose to go with something alphanumeric. Some argue that strengthens their core brand name, others say it's lazy and uninspired-that's me, I'm "others."
https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/car-and-truck-models-born-as-trim-levels/
7 REPLIES 7
Rich8
Intermediate Driver

just saying....would take the blue GTO in a millisecond over any of the others shown...really a beauty!
edddurst-gmail
Intermediate Driver

Wasn't the Trailblazer a Plymouth before it became a Chevy Blazer?
Chevylover65
New Driver

I've seen this more than once lately. Chevy trucks were called Silverado with the body style change in 1973. They just stopped using it for a few years. Same with Sierra for GMC. As I remember before 73 the higher level of trim was called Custom Cab.
GT
New Driver

Following the muscle car recipe of big engine in a base model
wouldn't the GTO be derived from the Tempest?
DUB6
Racer

Potato - potahto.  Wouldn't have made any difference.  In 1966 models, all three (Tempest, LeMans, and GTO) shared almost all of the same sheet metal.  Truly only "trim" was what separated the looks of the models.

Snailish
Engineer

Not a trim level, but "suburban" was a body style name used by several manufacturers in their literature of the day. 

I think at least one other company put suburban badges on their suburbans too (Chrysler?).

I suppose "Town Car" is another example of this, but there isn't many others.

DUB6
Racer

"a preemptive rotary swap and a glimpse into the future of thousands of RX-7s and RX-8s that are now LS-powered"

Love this reference!