cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

10 unforgettable TV ads about cars and trucks

Every one of us has a list of automotive TV commercials that made such a strong impression the first time we saw them, they're now in our memories forever. Whether the message moved you or made you laugh, whether you loved the vehicle or hated it, some ads simply outlast their eras, so well done that you could watch them over and over again.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/10-unforgettable-tv-ads-about-cars-and-trucks/
130 REPLIES 130
Pskilt113
New Driver

How about the Mustang commercial where the American and German guy are standing at a port in Germany and the American’s Mustang is being off loaded. The German guy says to the American, “You don’t like German cars”? and the American guy says “I don’t like American roads”.
Engineerbruce68
Pit Crew

Again, another article written by some youngster who was not alive in the 50’s, 60’s, or 70’s.
Back in the seventies Dodge promoted their Gentleman Jim Pickup.
While describing all the deluxe features in an animated format by a man dressed in sharp western clothes, a dog was seen pulling a bone on the ground.
The man concludes asking, “What more can a man ask for?”
At that moment, the dog pulls the bone free and oil squirts from the ground.
The man smiles and says, “Why thank ya!”
Truly great understated humor that leaves a lasting impression.
TA76
Detailer

Sorry should of had at least one Trans AM commercial. My favorite is "It's very hungry" https://youtu.be/UmrEQWT4XlI
Joee383
Pit Crew

At stop light, two in a beat up Demon: That thing got a Hemi?
Sweet!
Dodge Ram driver towing a flatbed with a classic Charger on board at next stoplight after blowing off the Demon: Oh.. the Charger's got a Hemi too!
Casey
Pit Crew

Thanks, I enjoyed watching these.
jaydee325
Pit Crew

I just think that automotive advertising in general has lost its way. The emphasis today is all about the "connected" car. What about the driving exerience?

All of these commercials are just cringe worthy to me.
studesassa
New Driver

'85 or '86 Subaru XT Coupe ads showing a dust storm making its way on the roads thru midwestern farm fields ending up at the farm house. Farmer parents confronting their young son. " I thought you agreed you were going to buy a Subaru ? I did ! ! "
I bought a new 1986 black 4WD Turbo XT coupe with a reflective red decal speed line running front to back down the sides. That new wedge shape design was so new & striking, I would find people gathered around it in parking lots. Unfortunately it did not age well. Looked old & dated in about 10 years
My 1962 Studebaker GT Hawk still draws a crowd today in the grocery store lot.
SS426RS
New Driver

Cal Worthington, Worthington Ford, Long Beach, was a real pioneer of early "Quirky" TV car Commercials. He produced some of the most insane, over the top, off the wall antics. Most involved live animals. They were all his own productions and they were memorable. Much like H.B. "Toby" Halicki's Gone In 60 Seconds.  Unfortunately neither man got the credit they deserved.

"Go See Cal", "Go See Cal", "Go See Cal"

Dragonwing
Pit Crew

Geeez! Am I the only one who remembers the commercial in which Ray Charles is test driving the Peugeot 306? Now THAT is a classic!

DW
bridanne
New Driver

George Blanda kicking the back of the 1973 Dodge Pickup and creating the ClubCab.
Miatadon
New Driver

This Fiat Abarth "Secuction" ad is the best car ad ever! There's just something about a beautiful woman . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UWs_CjfnL0
DUB6
Gearhead

Love the tattoo on the back of her neck (among other things)...

Miatadon
New Driver

Oops, meant to type "Seduction" but no way to edit.

Another great ad, or ads is the Ken and Mary Datsun Skyline ones for Japanese market. Road & Track compiled them all here:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a3872/video-all-the-ken-and-mary-nissan-skyline-ads/
ATLpaul
Intermediate Driver

rickrichards1
New Driver

I really enjoyed the Jeep and Bill Murray commercial ,as well as the Mustang and Chevy truck ,as well as Paul Harvey and Dodge are all great ones. I do not recall ever seeing the Jeep or Mustang commercials. To me these are all just great. thanks for pulling these out of the dust bins.
jasper4247
New Driver

I enjoyed all of the videos. Thanks.
Still Building Rockets a little heavy handed on the patriotism? Oh, the horror!
Wademo
New Driver

Charles Bronson riding in the back of a 1967 F100 from the movie "Mr. Majestyk", for Ford's indestructible twin I-beam front suspension.
Asolare_2000
New Driver

When I saw the headline for this article, I assumed your list would have included the Toyota ad in which the Corolla is in a drag race with Art Arfons’ Green Monster”. I laughed when the ad was first released and still get a chuckle today when viewed on the internet.
Davidb
Intermediate Driver

In 1952 Chevrolet (GM) hired Dinah Shore to record the song "See the USA in Your Chevrolet" for their TV commercials. There is an entire history of this event but no one disputes the fact that more Chevies were sold in the 50's than any other brand, more Fords, and more than all other manufacturers at that time combined. Chevrolet knew exactly what they wanted from Seger and they got it. I still have both songs in my mental juke box and sometimes while cruising in my C 7 I am a Rock! A big thanx to Bob!
DUB6
Gearhead

I can still hear that Dinah jingle in my "gray-matter" juke box as it played on the TV during many of the popular programs on the day.  My father had a '55 Chevy pick-up and my mother changed from a DeSoto to an Impala - wonder if they were influenced by the ads?

Racer50
New Driver

Another interesting piece of history regarding the Corvette's ties to rockets and aerospace technologies in the 50's is that the early fiberglass processes used in the Corvette were actually developed by Goodyear Aerospace in Akron, Ohio. (https://wingfootstories.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/1953-corvette-bodies-produced-by-goodyear-aerospace...  ... note that this article has a typo referring to the 1983 Corvette when it should be the 1953.) Goodyear also helped Ford with the early fiberglass tops for the Ford Thunderbird. My dad worked at Goodyear for 18 years and was an engineering co-op student during this time. This photo is of him holding an early T-bird top during development development.

Slide244.jpg

Gary_Bechtold
Technician

Lots of funny or good ads here. The 300ZX one was my favorite. Best use of a Van Halen song in a commercial.
MYTFAST
Intermediate Driver

My favorite (disgusting) car commercial was this one from Farmers insurance with a Chrysler Crossfire. https://youtu.be/9D_UJjEIpP4
JimR
Instructor

I loved them all. And my career probably left me a little twisted, so I still get a chuckle outa this one….

https://youtu.be/WUtE3QlTpKI

DUB6
Gearhead

@JimR - I don't know if that's twisted or not, actually.  A part of me just wishes that it was accurate so that quite a few people in public places would still be alive and quite a few VWs belonging to terrorists could just have been bulldozed into holes and covered over.

MrBill-1943
Detailer

If I had to list my top 2 it would be the 2011 Corvette and in a solid #1 slot was the Paul Harvey 2013 Dodge Ram Truck describing why God made a Farmer...FANTASIC and makes me want to go buy a Dodge Ram even today 8 years later and to be proud to be an American. We all need another Paul Harvey and that's the rest of that story.

DUB6
Gearhead

Agreed - I'd probably trust to buy anything that Paul Harvey promoted.  Along with Walter Kronkite, Mr. Harvey shaped a lot of my views of things both in America and around the world.  And guess what?  I already owned a Dodge truck way before that commercial came out!

OMPguy
Intermediate Driver

My all-time favorite: https://youtu.be/ibn81Uyybfk
JimR
Instructor

@OMPguy  Not really a Porsche guy, and the commercial took a while to get there…but that was pretty cool. 👏🤙

Pault1
Pit Crew

The Honda one was remarkable. I remember a few of the others, never saw the Mustang/McQueen. I remember one, pretty sure it was for the re-launch of the 300ZX (?) that had a high-booted motorcycle cop looking at the car, then imagining it blasting through corners at high speed. At the end the owner walks up as the cop is writing a ticket.
"What's that for?!!"
"YOU know."
Z owner thinks for a second, then hangs his head and nods, accepts ticket without further protest.
77GL
Intermediate Driver

Way, way too recent.