cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 of our favorite cars from the 2000s

Hagerty's Tiger-swap meister Brad Phillips and auction guru Andrew Newton didn't pick their favorite 2000s-era cars based on speed ... but hey, who's complaining? In a recent livestream, two of our resident automotive experts spent an hour discussing the strengths and weaknesses of their favorite five cars from this decade. Many of vehicles Phillips and Newton choose are, as they noted, transitioning from "used car" status and carving out a space for themselves in the collector car world. That's the fun thing about this list; you likely saw a few of these cars in a parking lot or highway this week and have some strong opinions of your own about their collector-car eligibility (or ineligibility).

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/10-of-our-favorite-cars-from-the-2000s/

Replies (68)

Replies (68)

Two cars I think you missed are the 02 Trans am, and the 03-04 SVT Cobra. Both those platforms ended with a bang, and are very desirable. 

Passenger

I just love my 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP! This to me is a well built, smooth and quite couple with excellent styling. I feel that the Kappa platform was well thought out and executed. Even though it came from the GM parts bin, it is all tied together well.  I think it is a diamond  in the rough. 

Passenger

Someone needs to follow up on his geography of Germany.  AMGs are actually Swabians, not Bavarians. That would be the arch rival with the blue and white propeller logo.

Passenger

I almost bought a Honda S2000 except that it did NOT have an adjustable steering wheel for my long legs so it does have an issue not mentioned above.  BMW E46 M3's according to the BMWCCA members has a long list of issues due to its high revving (8300) motor  along with a lack of micro-fiber seats that I LOVE (never hot or cold) so I bought a new 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP that came stock with microfiber seats and built it into a M3 (suspension, brakes etc.) with a much more reliable motor and supercharged it so no need for high revs.  The microfiber seats still look new (130K miles) and are very comfortable (hate leather seats).  It has always stayed in a garage so the paint is pristine and is my daily driver that continues to make me grin every time.  I have never understood why microfiber seats are not more common - way better than leather.

Pit Crew

I would replace the Beamer M3 with the Z8, which are one of the few cars that never depreciated (like a Ford GT). I would get rid of the Spyker and the Lotus and add Shelby GT500KR and the Porsche Carrera GT.

New Driver

I would take a 2000 to 2003 Aston Martin DB7 any day over the Lotus

Passenger

Can't say I disagree with that list, especially since I had two of them I wish I still had-  the Elise and the E36 M3.  We had the first SMG in our hometown as I wanted to emulate JPM but must admit I sold it after 6 months for a 6 speed...

Passenger

For the Z06, I would add the 2013 427 Collector Edition.  Basically a convertible Z06 if you prefer going topless.

Intermediate Driver

The Ferrari and the Honda, hands down. The Honda so you have something to drive that you are not paranoid about driving in traffic with all the idiots, and the Ferrari when you are going for a cruise or trying to close the deal. And the deal is associated with a large number. And you show up shaved and dressed, the 360 parked in front of wherever you are to do business. Never mind the no parking signs. Pay the ticket. Be glorious.

Intermediate Driver

2005 1/2- 2009 Audi S-4 and RS-4's.  Best sports sedan. Period.  

Passenger

Great list.  As you might expect, other cars may have strong supporters- as I do. The 4.2 litre V-8 Audi S4's and RS4's are great driving sport sedans.  Some feel they are better than the BMW M-series cars. Handling with Quattro's AWD slight rear bias provides outstanding handling.  Power is abundant. Built quality, ergonomics, design and brand support un-matched. SO, a strong vote for Audi's 2005-2009 S-series performance sedans!

Passenger

'08-'09Pontiac G8/ '14-'17 Chevrolet SS sedan??? LS3 w/6sp manual?

Passenger

When I get into a car I don't want to sit on the floor, don't want a ride that resembles a steel wheel lumber wagon, I want comfort, nice real leather seats, leg room and head room, I want quiet not noise, the reason we love our '02 Lincoln Town Car, full stainless steel exhaust, full rust protection and more, for the money it cannot be beat.

Intermediate Driver

What about the 2003-2009 BMW Z4. they are stylish and very affordable now-a-days

Passenger

Did I count 3 American products???  How about the Cadillac CTS and XLR series. Are foreign produced cars so special that they garner such enduring recognition?  Wonder where one goes to have one's Ferrari repaired? Respectfully submitted,  Happy day, James

New Driver

Love the design of the Spyker — the interior reminds me of my parent's dinette set, circa 1957. 

Owning one of these? The Z06 Corvette seems the most sensible one. 

Intermediate Driver

The C6Z is a wonderful car with a unique engine that makes me think twice about going straight to a C7. And putting a widebody C6 next to a C8 makes you wonder if all the styling talent left the RenCen.

I'm surprised to see the Nissan 350Z omitted from this list. 350Zs are affordable, fun, and reliable cars today with a healthy aftermarket to support them. Beyond that, there is also an angle for collectors. The most reckless and tasteless drivers on the road have also discovered these facts about the 350Z, and they will ruin the 350Z like they ruined the 240SX. If you can keep yours fairly clean, you might not lose that much money over a long-term ownership period.

And I'd prefer an E60 M5 over an E55 AMG. The E60 M5 had to follow up the E39 M5, a perfect car, and you never want to be the guy that follows the guy. It was not liked at release for its radical styling changes, and the E60 was a far more digital car than the E39. But the E60's styling has held up over the past decade-and-a-half, and the almighty V10 still rings out today. Yes, E60 M5 will be less reliable than an E55 AMG but either way, you're buying a nearly 2-decade old German super-sedan. Reliability shouldn't be expected.

Intermediate Driver

Adding to the Shelby gt comment I'd like to say all 2005 to 09 mustangs as the s197 body style  're ignited the pony car/ muscle car wars. This series mustang caused gm to 're introduce the camaro and would the challenger of happened. It's not just the Shelby guys, it's mustang. 

Pit Crew

Where's the Porsche Boxster S? One of, if not the best handling, affordable Porsches of all time!

Passenger

The Shelby GT should be way above the overall Ho Hum cars on this list.

The Corvette and the Ford GT are the cream of the crop, Just wish the Shelby

could have shared the stage.

Intermediate Driver

Pontiac G8 GT?  Performance of a BMW 550i at about 1/3 the price...

Passenger

No Jaguar or Aston Martin on this list either, they made very nice, good quality and affordable high performance vehicles.

New Driver

Surprised they did not put the Cadillac XLR on here, since they have another article about it specifically. 

One of my top picks is an almost unknown car - the 2001 Qvale Mangusta.  Ford 32 valve V-8 should give plenty of power and serviability.

New Driver

2002-05 Lexus IS 300

Best daily driver ever made. Toyota reliability, 2JZ performance, simple luxuries, and the coolest analog gauge cluster you will ever see. Power goes to the rear through a 5-speed manual and LSD in a 4-door package the size of a Civic from the same era. But you will need to find one with a manual from the factory... Automatic versions got a completely different ECU and they are quite sluggish. But the manuals give you the full torque band, which makes sliding around corners so easy that a complete amateur like myself can do it!

Passenger

Some very good choices, but I'd add the Ford SVT Focus in it's 2-door, hatchback form.  It was an incredible performer for not being turbocharged - light and quick.  Wish I still had my 2002.

Pit Crew

A Dodge Neon?  Really?   How about Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis Marauder, would be a better choice than a Neon. 

Passenger

Owned my S2000 since May 2002.  Bulletproof fun.

Passenger

Think Big Cat,  think XJR with Supercharger, think 0 to 100  5.8 sec.   luxury Sport Sedan, British Racing Green.

Jeez, I think I'll go for a drive in it right now.

V

New Driver

My 2000 S2000 is all original and I bought it new in April 2000.  My 96 NSX is a garage mate.  Both are very rewarding to drive and advanced as they were at the time, are "simplistic" as compared to cars of today.  The NSX is comfortable and capable, while the S2000 is pure raucous fun.

New Driver

Boy I’d take a 2006 GTO over a Neon any day

Passenger