cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 of our favorite cars from the 2000s

Hagerty's Tiger-swap meister Brad Phillips and auction guru Andrew Newton didn't pick their favorite 2000s-era cars based on speed ... but hey, who's complaining? In a recent livestream, two of our resident automotive experts spent an hour discussing the strengths and weaknesses of their favorite five cars from this decade. Many of vehicles Phillips and Newton choose are, as they noted, transitioning from "used car" status and carving out a space for themselves in the collector car world. That's the fun thing about this list; you likely saw a few of these cars in a parking lot or highway this week and have some strong opinions of your own about their collector-car eligibility (or ineligibility).

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/10-of-our-favorite-cars-from-the-2000s/

Replies (68)

Replies (68)

I must say, I'm quite surprised that the Shelby GT500 didn't make your list. They are much better than a Neon and way more affordable than a FORD GT!

Passenger

Finally, the C6 Corvette ZO6 gets some overdue respect!

New Driver

Besides the Corvette and Ford GT, this list deserves to be in the trash. Challenger SRT-8?

Mustang Shelby? Camaro SS?  SSR? 

That trashy Lotus deserves to be in the same category as the Pontiac Aztec. I would rather have a Saturn Sky "Redline". 

The last 20 years have given us here in America, reasons to enjoy style and performance from US auto manufacturers. 

Tesla isn't even on this list. 

You guys need to get out of your basement and actually get on the road.

New Driver

Surprised that you would overlook the 2005-2006 Chrylser Crossfie Srt-6 roadster, the best bargain out there at $15,000-$20,000. 0-60 4.8 seconds using Mercedes 3.2L supercharged AMG engine...or perhaps you didn't know about this rare (928 made) supercar. 

Passenger

I've had a few of the picks, still have a GT with just under 10,000 miles. Really a visceral driving experience. But one of my favorites which didn't make this list is the Acura NSX.

Passenger

Are you kidding? Ford GT @200K++? Look at 1998-2002 Camaro-Firebird! Or 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO's Great value in those

Passenger

Well, let me see-- Mitsu Evolution VIII maybe or the Evo IX? Definitely surpassed many of these cars in performance and price.

New Driver

Hi all I agree with most of the guys Shelby GT500KR I think is one of top 10 to and is not on the list 

Passenger

The Nissan GTR R35 once again gets no respect.

New Driver

What about the 2000-03 BMW E39 M5? Definitely should be on the list! And maybe the 2003-06 Mitsubishi Evolution? These(in original mint condition)will be worth big $ someday! ; ) 

Navigator

Uh... you put up the Dodge Neon?  What about the Viper?  🤷🏼‍♂️

Passenger

A BMW E46 for $23,100?  I don't think so.  They are hard to find and the prices are going up fast.

Pit Crew

Hmmm, am I the only one who believes you forgot the 2nd Gen Porsche Cayman S?  The '09, for only 100 pounds more than the S2000, you got 90hp, mid-engine balance, and a now highly sought after car.  A car that actually beat the 911 Carrara around Nurburgring.  Seem like worse than a mistake and no Acura NSX which is blowing up in the market these days?

New Driver

I wish I could find an S2000 in good condition for $15k.

New Driver

98-02 WS6 Trans Am. Last of the Trans Am with LS1 power and a 6 speed manual.

New Driver

Hmmm, me thinks you missed the Jaguar XKR.

Passenger

I've got a 2001 S-2000 I bought new. Possibly the best decision I've made in 50 years of buying cars and trucks. Completely impractical and the most fun you can have on 4 wheels. 

Passenger

One mans cure is another mans poison ......

What about the VW Golf R32, and the Suburu WRX, or if we are going to consider overpriced super cars, the MB McClaren, the MB SLS, or any of the McClaren or Aston Martin cars.

Ford GT ...... come now, nothing but an old soup in a new can.

Who came up with this silly list ?

New Driver

Only a couple worth being on this list.  Too many American Muscle Cars excluded!

New Driver

2003/2004 Mustang Cobra.  Highly collectable, groundbreaking cars.  Super fun to driver in coupe or convertible.

Passenger

It seems to me a S85 BMW M5 or M6 with the V10 muscle would be a better choice than the AMG MB. Higher performance and cheap depreciated prices. If you can find one with a 6 speed manual gearbox, you've got a limited world wide production German supercar.

Passenger

So glad to see the Neon made the list. I had one and loved it. It was so simple and unpretentious. 

Navigator

Mmmmmmmm--what happened to the Vintage Scene?  I see these on TV and other venues.  I wonder if these cars will live long enough to become classic vintage vehicles?

Pit Crew

Bob Lund, who lorded over many model introductions in his career, said he was most proud of the 'kappa' cars.  That would be the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice.  You never mention them.  The Sky Redline is my favorite.

Passenger

Why are these lists always so short sighted? HUMMER.... like nothing else. H1,2 or 3 all have collectible version, easily customized and will be collectible for their love, hate relationship with the public. They redefined off road vehicles. 

Passenger

All nice but expensive cars. How about the 2003-2004 Mustang Mach 1? High reving 4.6 DOHC, bullet-proof manual transmissions, functional hood shaker and quite a good looking car too. 

New Driver

I feel 80% of these cars are priced way above what a average citizen can ever afford!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to put a shout out for a 2008 C70 Volvo Convertible, it has a TURBO charged engine and you don't have to take it to a dealer for regular maintenance.

Passenger

Would have liked to have seen more of the affordable american muscle Mercury Marauder, Ford F150 Lightning, Camaro etc.

Passenger

I definitely agree with the last generation firebird and Camaro, could be because I have six of them in the garage. I am also excited about to 2009 G8 GT that I bought this past winter . The G8 is very fun to drive!!!

Pit Crew

My, my.  Want a great handling 3 door hatch with a 2.0 litre twin cam red-lined at 7200, factory headers, Recaro seats, 6-speed, 4 wheel discs with ABS, IRS all-around, etc?  Look no further than the much, under-appreciated Ford Focus SVT produced from 2002-2004.  Considered to be the best of its kind, if you can find an unmolested example, grab it!  Decent ones, about 5K -- excellent ones, about 10K.

New Driver