cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff
Hagerty Employee

10 of our favorite cars from the 2000s

Hagerty's Tiger-swap meister Brad Phillips and auction guru Andrew Newton didn't pick their favorite 2000s-era cars based on speed ... but hey, who's complaining? In a recent livestream, two of our resident automotive experts spent an hour discussing the strengths and weaknesses of their favorite five cars from this decade. Many of vehicles Phillips and Newton choose are, as they noted, transitioning from "used car" status and carving out a space for themselves in the collector car world. That's the fun thing about this list; you likely saw a few of these cars in a parking lot or highway this week and have some strong opinions of your own about their collector-car eligibility (or ineligibility).

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/10-of-our-favorite-cars-from-the-2000s/

79 REPLIES 79
Maestro1
Advanced Driver

The Ferrari and the Honda, hands down. The Honda so you have something to drive that you are not paranoid about driving in traffic with all the idiots, and the Ferrari when you are going for a cruise or trying to close the deal. And the deal is associated with a large number. And you show up shaved and dressed, the 360 parked in front of wherever you are to do business. Never mind the no parking signs. Pay the ticket. Be glorious.

ed
Detailer

For the Z06, I would add the 2013 427 Collector Edition.  Basically a convertible Z06 if you prefer going topless.

skl914
Passenger

Can't say I disagree with that list, especially since I had two of them I wish I still had-  the Elise and the E36 M3.  We had the first SMG in our hometown as I wanted to emulate JPM but must admit I sold it after 6 months for a 6 speed...

CambridgeBill
Passenger

I would take a 2000 to 2003 Aston Martin DB7 any day over the Lotus

SFM5
Pit Crew

I would replace the Beamer M3 with the Z8, which are one of the few cars that never depreciated (like a Ford GT). I would get rid of the Spyker and the Lotus and add Shelby GT500KR and the Porsche Carrera GT.

Jim
Pit Crew

I almost bought a Honda S2000 except that it did NOT have an adjustable steering wheel for my long legs so it does have an issue not mentioned above.  BMW E46 M3's according to the BMWCCA members has a long list of issues due to its high revving (8300) motor  along with a lack of micro-fiber seats that I LOVE (never hot or cold) so I bought a new 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP that came stock with microfiber seats and built it into a M3 (suspension, brakes etc.) with a much more reliable motor and supercharged it so no need for high revs.  The microfiber seats still look new (130K miles) and are very comfortable (hate leather seats).  It has always stayed in a garage so the paint is pristine and is my daily driver that continues to make me grin every time.  I have never understood why microfiber seats are not more common - way better than leather.

Timonaut
Passenger

Someone needs to follow up on his geography of Germany.  AMGs are actually Swabians, not Bavarians. That would be the arch rival with the blue and white propeller logo.

GXPNick
Passenger

I just love my 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP! This to me is a well built, smooth and quite couple with excellent styling. I feel that the Kappa platform was well thought out and executed. Even though it came from the GM parts bin, it is all tied together well.  I think it is a diamond  in the rough. 

Bruno
Passenger

Two cars I think you missed are the 02 Trans am, and the 03-04 SVT Cobra. Both those platforms ended with a bang, and are very desirable. 

pterodactyl
New Driver

My, my.  Want a great handling 3 door hatch with a 2.0 litre twin cam red-lined at 7200, factory headers, Recaro seats, 6-speed, 4 wheel discs with ABS, IRS all-around, etc?  Look no further than the much, under-appreciated Ford Focus SVT produced from 2002-2004.  Considered to be the best of its kind, if you can find an unmolested example, grab it!  Decent ones, about 5K -- excellent ones, about 10K.

DaveD
Pit Crew

I definitely agree with the last generation firebird and Camaro, could be because I have six of them in the garage. I am also excited about to 2009 G8 GT that I bought this past winter . The G8 is very fun to drive!!!

Buzuxi
Passenger

Would have liked to have seen more of the affordable american muscle Mercury Marauder, Ford F150 Lightning, Camaro etc.

wildbill
Passenger

I feel 80% of these cars are priced way above what a average citizen can ever afford!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to put a shout out for a 2008 C70 Volvo Convertible, it has a TURBO charged engine and you don't have to take it to a dealer for regular maintenance.

billyt
New Driver

All nice but expensive cars. How about the 2003-2004 Mustang Mach 1? High reving 4.6 DOHC, bullet-proof manual transmissions, functional hood shaker and quite a good looking car too. 

BkBey
Passenger

Why are these lists always so short sighted? HUMMER.... like nothing else. H1,2 or 3 all have collectible version, easily customized and will be collectible for their love, hate relationship with the public. They redefined off road vehicles. 

Bmac
Passenger

Bob Lund, who lorded over many model introductions in his career, said he was most proud of the 'kappa' cars.  That would be the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice.  You never mention them.  The Sky Redline is my favorite.

jaysalserVW
Intermediate Driver

Mmmmmmmm--what happened to the Vintage Scene?  I see these on TV and other venues.  I wonder if these cars will live long enough to become classic vintage vehicles?

SecurityDude
Navigator

So glad to see the Neon made the list. I had one and loved it. It was so simple and unpretentious. 

strackman
Passenger

I've had a few of the picks, still have a GT with just under 10,000 miles. Really a visceral driving experience. But one of my favorites which didn't make this list is the Acura NSX.

DLJ
Passenger

It seems to me a S85 BMW M5 or M6 with the V10 muscle would be a better choice than the AMG MB. Higher performance and cheap depreciated prices. If you can find one with a 6 speed manual gearbox, you've got a limited world wide production German supercar.

Lagaroth
Passenger

2003/2004 Mustang Cobra.  Highly collectable, groundbreaking cars.  Super fun to driver in coupe or convertible.

tygar
New Driver

Only a couple worth being on this list.  Too many American Muscle Cars excluded!

PeterPentz
New Driver

One mans cure is another mans poison ......

What about the VW Golf R32, and the Suburu WRX, or if we are going to consider overpriced super cars, the MB McClaren, the MB SLS, or any of the McClaren or Aston Martin cars.

Ford GT ...... come now, nothing but an old soup in a new can.

Who came up with this silly list ?

EggsActley
Passenger

I've got a 2001 S-2000 I bought new. Possibly the best decision I've made in 50 years of buying cars and trucks. Completely impractical and the most fun you can have on 4 wheels. 

jaycypraea
Passenger

Hmmm, me thinks you missed the Jaguar XKR.

DJSS
New Driver

98-02 WS6 Trans Am. Last of the Trans Am with LS1 power and a 6 speed manual.

tcchuck2005
Pit Crew

I wish I could find an S2000 in good condition for $15k.

Sharx
Pit Crew

Hmmm, am I the only one who believes you forgot the 2nd Gen Porsche Cayman S?  The '09, for only 100 pounds more than the S2000, you got 90hp, mid-engine balance, and a now highly sought after car.  A car that actually beat the 911 Carrara around Nurburgring.  Seem like worse than a mistake and no Acura NSX which is blowing up in the market these days?

edmoncwheeler
Passenger

Surprised that you would overlook the 2005-2006 Chrylser Crossfie Srt-6 roadster, the best bargain out there at $15,000-$20,000. 0-60 4.8 seconds using Mercedes 3.2L supercharged AMG engine...or perhaps you didn't know about this rare (928 made) supercar. 

sharkguy48
Intermediate Driver

A BMW E46 for $23,100?  I don't think so.  They are hard to find and the prices are going up fast.