cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

10 of our favorite cars from the 2000s

Hagerty's Tiger-swap meister Brad Phillips and auction guru Andrew Newton didn't pick their favorite 2000s-era cars based on speed ... but hey, who's complaining? In a recent livestream, two of our resident automotive experts spent an hour discussing the strengths and weaknesses of their favorite five cars from this decade. Many of vehicles Phillips and Newton choose are, as they noted, transitioning from "used car" status and carving out a space for themselves in the collector car world. That's the fun thing about this list; you likely saw a few of these cars in a parking lot or highway this week and have some strong opinions of your own about their collector-car eligibility (or ineligibility).

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/10-of-our-favorite-cars-from-the-2000s/

79 REPLIES 79
New Driver

A Tesla Roadster using an Elise chassis is somehow less trashy than an Elise?  I don't think that word trashy means what you think it does.

Pit Crew

I almost bought a Honda S2000 except that it did NOT have an adjustable steering wheel for my long legs so it does have an issue not mentioned above.  BMW E46 M3's according to the BMWCCA members has a long list of issues due to its high revving (8300) motor  along with a lack of micro-fiber seats that I LOVE (never hot or cold) so I bought a new 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP that came stock with microfiber seats and built it into a M3 (suspension, brakes etc.) with a much more reliable motor and supercharged it so no need for high revs.  The microfiber seats still look new (130K miles) and are very comfortable (hate leather seats).  It has always stayed in a garage so the paint is pristine and is my daily driver that continues to make me grin every time.  I have never understood why microfiber seats are not more common - way better than leather.

Passenger

Someone needs to follow up on his geography of Germany.  AMGs are actually Swabians, not Bavarians. That would be the arch rival with the blue and white propeller logo.

Passenger

I just love my 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP! This to me is a well built, smooth and quite couple with excellent styling. I feel that the Kappa platform was well thought out and executed. Even though it came from the GM parts bin, it is all tied together well.  I think it is a diamond  in the rough. 

Passenger

Two cars I think you missed are the 02 Trans am, and the 03-04 SVT Cobra. Both those platforms ended with a bang, and are very desirable. 

New Driver

My, my.  Want a great handling 3 door hatch with a 2.0 litre twin cam red-lined at 7200, factory headers, Recaro seats, 6-speed, 4 wheel discs with ABS, IRS all-around, etc?  Look no further than the much, under-appreciated Ford Focus SVT produced from 2002-2004.  Considered to be the best of its kind, if you can find an unmolested example, grab it!  Decent ones, about 5K -- excellent ones, about 10K.

Pit Crew

I definitely agree with the last generation firebird and Camaro, could be because I have six of them in the garage. I am also excited about to 2009 G8 GT that I bought this past winter . The G8 is very fun to drive!!!

Passenger

Would have liked to have seen more of the affordable american muscle Mercury Marauder, Ford F150 Lightning, Camaro etc.

Passenger

I feel 80% of these cars are priced way above what a average citizen can ever afford!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to put a shout out for a 2008 C70 Volvo Convertible, it has a TURBO charged engine and you don't have to take it to a dealer for regular maintenance.

New Driver

All nice but expensive cars. How about the 2003-2004 Mustang Mach 1? High reving 4.6 DOHC, bullet-proof manual transmissions, functional hood shaker and quite a good looking car too.