cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Jeff
Hagerty Employee

10 of our favorite cars from the 2000s

Hagerty's Tiger-swap meister Brad Phillips and auction guru Andrew Newton didn't pick their favorite 2000s-era cars based on speed ... but hey, who's complaining? In a recent livestream, two of our resident automotive experts spent an hour discussing the strengths and weaknesses of their favorite five cars from this decade. Many of vehicles Phillips and Newton choose are, as they noted, transitioning from "used car" status and carving out a space for themselves in the collector car world. That's the fun thing about this list; you likely saw a few of these cars in a parking lot or highway this week and have some strong opinions of your own about their collector-car eligibility (or ineligibility).

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/10-of-our-favorite-cars-from-the-2000s/

79 REPLIES 79
Rockem
Intermediate Driver

At least there was one that I could afford.Maybe two if I were a BMW fan.

johnnya234
Passenger

I must say, I'm quite surprised that the Shelby GT500 didn't make your list. They are much better than a Neon and way more affordable than a FORD GT!

gth452
Passenger

I agree on the list and in fact own both an X50 996 Turbo and a Lotus Elise SC. Both are among the best cars of the era. However I think the S197 Mustang was a obvious choice. So many solid editions off that platform and so much car for so little money.
MaRx
Passenger

I agree with most picks.   I'm biased about the Z06.  Wish i never sold my 2007 😀

5xpapa
New Driver

One of my favorite cars from the 2000s is the 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbirds. There are some more affordable cars than the ones you picked.

Pats
Passenger

YES, The Thunderbird should have been on this list..Beautiful and fun to drive. 

Brucefje
Navigator

I am wondering why the new Tbird was not on this list. It is attractive and even though not at the level of a Z06, it has some mild performance, comfort and refinement. My C5 was too uncomfortable to get in and out of and the Tbird addresses that issue with aplomb.

Hotrodbuilder
Passenger

Once again a great car from the 2000's goes unnoticed and neglected. The 2002 to 2005 Ford Thunderbird is a vehicle that was even downplayed by Ford throughout it's manufactured life. It is a fun throwback to the 50's 2 seat roadster. Available in both convertible and hardtop version. Or in many cases both convertible top and hardtop. Comfortable, reasonably good handling and V8 power allows for open air cruising or coupe with air conditioning. The aftermarket support is almost non existent, maybe that is why it didn't make the list. The only real complaint I have is that Ford put the battery in the trunk and didn't provide an external lock to access it if it went dead. A computer controlled electrical system that is not driven regularly can create a dead battery and no way to open the trunk. I found that accessing the fuse box under the hood and connecting a battery charger there will allow the unlock button for the trunk to operate. Values for these cars has remained stagnant, but who knows what the future will bring. i know that my 2005 Fiftieth Anniversary version always brings a smile to my face whenever I drive it. I have a Supercharged 1930 Ford roadster and 1967 Mustangs (2), a 1969 Cougar XR7, a Supercharged 1947 Ford Coupe, a 2013 Mazda MX5 Grand Touring and a 1940 Ford Tudor Streetrod and yet the Thunderbird is still my favorite. 

HDA
Passenger

choice of colors on point Hagerty! Maybe I would have chosen the 996 Turbo in Yellow or Red, but otherwise all others are on point!

Chascham
Passenger

A great contender in the value category is my 06 Audi S4 Cabrio w a 4.2 V8.  Comfortable with all wheel drive as a winter back-up... great handling and quick for top-down summer driving. 

ZippoVarga
Passenger

At least the Neon is the right Color. Total Lemon and how it made this list is a complete mystery to me. All those beautiful cars....then a loathsome Neon SRT 4? If you've got plenty of disposable cash for Transmissions, CV shafts and Head Gaskets then it's a grocery getter that will still get poked fun at. I give the over all collection a C-. It would have been an A had that Neon not been in the lineup. lol Thanks for this list! Someone on the production team has an affinity for Mopar for sure. Otherwise, that Neon would have NEVER made the list. lol Cheers! Zip~

j_reames
New Driver

Agreed!  Evidently, it was added to the list for Chrysler's "gallantry"?  Hilarious.

jpvin
Passenger

Love them all! What a nice selection!

Astegall11
Passenger

Boy I’d take a 2006 GTO over a Neon any day

NSXter
New Driver

My 2000 S2000 is all original and I bought it new in April 2000.  My 96 NSX is a garage mate.  Both are very rewarding to drive and advanced as they were at the time, are "simplistic" as compared to cars of today.  The NSX is comfortable and capable, while the S2000 is pure raucous fun.

Gtron
Passenger

Uh... you put up the Dodge Neon?  What about the Viper?  πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚️

Andrew
Hagerty Employee

The Viper was included in the cars of the 1990s list

Faro
New Driver

Think Big Cat,  think XJR with Supercharger, think 0 to 100  5.8 sec.   luxury Sport Sedan, British Racing Green.

Jeez, I think I'll go for a drive in it right now.

V

R2000
Passenger

Owned my S2000 since May 2002.  Bulletproof fun.

turbie593
Navigator

What about the 2000-03 BMW E39 M5? Definitely should be on the list! And maybe the 2003-06 Mitsubishi Evolution? These(in original mint condition)will be worth big $ someday! ; ) 

avanti5010
Pit Crew

The Nissan GTR R35 once again gets no respect.

Really
Passenger

A Dodge Neon?  Really?   How about Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis Marauder, would be a better choice than a Neon. 

LugNut
Pit Crew

Some very good choices, but I'd add the Ford SVT Focus in it's 2-door, hatchback form.  It was an incredible performer for not being turbocharged - light and quick.  Wish I still had my 2002.

Reatta
New Driver

Besides the Corvette and Ford GT, this list deserves to be in the trash. Challenger SRT-8?

Mustang Shelby? Camaro SS?  SSR? 

That trashy Lotus deserves to be in the same category as the Pontiac Aztec. I would rather have a Saturn Sky "Redline". 

The last 20 years have given us here in America, reasons to enjoy style and performance from US auto manufacturers. 

Tesla isn't even on this list. 

You guys need to get out of your basement and actually get on the road.

Tristanator
Passenger

I agree with you entirely except for the Tesla exclusion. Although they debuted in '08, I never once saw a Tesla on the road in the 2000s. It wasn't until the next decade that they made an impact and became known.

GlidingPast
New Driver

A Tesla Roadster using an Elise chassis is somehow less trashy than an Elise?  I don't think that word trashy means what you think it does.

Robot_Overlord
Passenger

2002-05 Lexus IS 300

Best daily driver ever made. Toyota reliability, 2JZ performance, simple luxuries, and the coolest analog gauge cluster you will ever see. Power goes to the rear through a 5-speed manual and LSD in a 4-door package the size of a Civic from the same era. But you will need to find one with a manual from the factory... Automatic versions got a completely different ECU and they are quite sluggish. But the manuals give you the full torque band, which makes sliding around corners so easy that a complete amateur like myself can do it!

Arturorg71
Passenger

Hi all I agree with most of the guys Shelby GT500KR I think is one of top 10 to and is not on the list 

raspantienator
Passenger

5/10 in agreeableness. Everyone except the neon is a crowd pleaser so it’s like prom king and queen- the most popular. The 2004 GTO is an acknowledged fine automobile but is overlooked or forgotten.

jello67
Pit Crew

Surprised they did not put the Cadillac XLR on here, since they have another article about it specifically. 

One of my top picks is an almost unknown car - the 2001 Qvale Mangusta.  Ford 32 valve V-8 should give plenty of power and serviability.

51JaguarC-type
Pit Crew

No Jaguar or Aston Martin on this list either, they made very nice, good quality and affordable high performance vehicles.

Pbgray
New Driver

Finally, the C6 Corvette ZO6 gets some overdue respect!

Andrew
Hagerty Employee

We just don't want the secret to get out about how cheap they are!

Tiger2Jim
Passenger

Pontiac G8 GT?  Performance of a BMW 550i at about 1/3 the price...

mwmyers91
Intermediate Driver

The Shelby GT should be way above the overall Ho Hum cars on this list.

The Corvette and the Ford GT are the cream of the crop, Just wish the Shelby

could have shared the stage.

Flyman615
Passenger

Where's the Porsche Boxster S? One of, if not the best handling, affordable Porsches of all time!

Jost
Intermediate Driver

Adding to the Shelby gt comment I'd like to say all 2005 to 09 mustangs as the s197 body style  're ignited the pony car/ muscle car wars. This series mustang caused gm to 're introduce the camaro and would the challenger of happened. It's not just the Shelby guys, it's mustang. 

meckert
New Driver

Well, let me see-- Mitsu Evolution VIII maybe or the Evo IX? Definitely surpassed many of these cars in performance and price.

Truthworldwide
Pit Crew

Certainly garnered my vote. Clarkson in an VIII keeping up with a touring car driver in a Murcelago was impressive (that was a UK-spec FQ400, but still!)

Germanicus
Intermediate Driver

The C6Z is a wonderful car with a unique engine that makes me think twice about going straight to a C7. And putting a widebody C6 next to a C8 makes you wonder if all the styling talent left the RenCen.

I'm surprised to see the Nissan 350Z omitted from this list. 350Zs are affordable, fun, and reliable cars today with a healthy aftermarket to support them. Beyond that, there is also an angle for collectors. The most reckless and tasteless drivers on the road have also discovered these facts about the 350Z, and they will ruin the 350Z like they ruined the 240SX. If you can keep yours fairly clean, you might not lose that much money over a long-term ownership period.

And I'd prefer an E60 M5 over an E55 AMG. The E60 M5 had to follow up the E39 M5, a perfect car, and you never want to be the guy that follows the guy. It was not liked at release for its radical styling changes, and the E60 was a far more digital car than the E39. But the E60's styling has held up over the past decade-and-a-half, and the almighty V10 still rings out today. Yes, E60 M5 will be less reliable than an E55 AMG but either way, you're buying a nearly 2-decade old German super-sedan. Reliability shouldn't be expected.

kwil
Passenger

Are you kidding? Ford GT @200K++? Look at 1998-2002 Camaro-Firebird! Or 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO's Great value in those

McKracken
Navigator

I completely agree. 2000-2002 Firebirds/Camaros are great cars. I love the styling, performance and affordable to modify. I might be a little bias, as I have an 02’ Firehawk in my garage
audiobycarmine
Intermediate Driver

Love the design of the Spyker β€” the interior reminds me of my parent's dinette set, circa 1957. 

Owning one of these? The Z06 Corvette seems the most sensible one. 

jglandi
New Driver

Did I count 3 American products???  How about the Cadillac CTS and XLR series. Are foreign produced cars so special that they garner such enduring recognition?  Wonder where one goes to have one's Ferrari repaired? Respectfully submitted,  Happy day, James

TucsonHomes
Passenger

What about the 2003-2009 BMW Z4. they are stylish and very affordable now-a-days

warrene
Intermediate Driver

When I get into a car I don't want to sit on the floor, don't want a ride that resembles a steel wheel lumber wagon, I want comfort, nice real leather seats, leg room and head room, I want quiet not noise, the reason we love our '02 Lincoln Town Car, full stainless steel exhaust, full rust protection and more, for the money it cannot be beat.

JohnSha
Passenger

'08-'09Pontiac G8/ '14-'17 Chevrolet SS sedan??? LS3 w/6sp manual?

dicksanderson
Passenger

Great list.  As you might expect, other cars may have strong supporters- as I do. The 4.2 litre V-8 Audi S4's and RS4's are great driving sport sedans.  Some feel they are better than the BMW M-series cars. Handling with Quattro's AWD slight rear bias provides outstanding handling.  Power is abundant. Built quality, ergonomics, design and brand support un-matched. SO, a strong vote for Audi's 2005-2009 S-series performance sedans!

dicksanderson
Passenger

2005 1/2- 2009 Audi S-4 and RS-4's.  Best sports sedan. Period.