cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 of our favorite ’90s cars

The 1990s are now a grand 20 years in the past, and an incredible swathe of cars is up for historic plates in the next few years. From JDM wonders to kooky Swedes, cars of the ’90s represent the Goldilocks recipe to enthusiasts. They're new enough to posses the modern technologies that ensured stout reliability and top-tier performance, but old enough to lack electronic nannies that kvetch and whine at us when we attack the twisties. So we decided to put our resident ’90s experts in a livestream for an hour and pick their 10 favorite cars.

While Brad Phillip's official title is Hagerty's Director of Automotive Lifestyle Business Development, you may know him as Brad the Sunbeam Tiger King. Joining him is our Marketplace Editor Colin Comer. While some cars qualify for the top 10 list through Phillip's or Comer's personal experience, the pair discussed others as the pinnacle of their performance genre.

From the humble Mazda Miata to the world-beating McLaren F1, there's something for everyone in this list.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/10-of-our-favorite-90s-cars/

Replies (76)

Replies (76)

I think I would have put the 993 over the Boxster.  It's the last air cooled 911 , is mechanically superior, has much better handling and is a more collectible car than the Boxster.  Since cost doesn't factor into making the list (the McLaren).  Then ask yourself, if you could only pick one and were offered a free 993 or a Boxster, which would you choose? 

Passenger

What?!?!? No Supra or 300ZX Twin Turbo?

Passenger

The 90-95 Corvette ZR1 certainly deserves attention. These cars have the marvelous Lotus designed 32 valve dual overhead cam engine which has proven to be very reliable. Besides why not own a car that set the 24 hour speed record at 175 mph? They are even well within the reach of many owners with prices that can be in the low 30 thousands for a decent one.

New Driver

90s Civics and Jettas will have their day.

They were the growing up/high school/college ride a lot of people (or their friends) had. So they are memory machines --the fuel for nostalgia, which eventually equals collector interest.

Many 90s things will be future-appreciated for those that want less digital. It will interesting to see which things get enough aftermarket support for hobbyists to keep going and which things you hunt years for a specific dashboard bit or such.

Intermediate Driver

My vote:  I owned a 1995 Acura Integra GS-R with the VTEC that was a real hoot to drive.  It was the perfect car for my early 20's self of modest income back in 1995.

Passenger

While I'm not a fan of all the picks, I can understand why they're on the list. But for a couple of them, nothing says "blah" like a 4 door sedan. And I don't mean a 4 door hardtop without a post available in the 50s & 60s. My mommy drove a 4 door sedan. No matter what was under the hood, how they might handle or high style they might be, they just aren't "cool" in my opinion. But I understand the tastes of Gen X, Y, Z & Millennials are not the same as Boomers. Like what you want but I don't have to agree.

Pit Crew

Where is the 90's TT Supra? Legend back then and still is today. Who cares about Saab a strange Swedish brand ruined by the old GM

Passenger

Aztecs? Did NOT see any Aztecs... lol 

Passenger

I have owned four Saabs, two from the 90s, and still have my 1996 Saab 900 convertible.  To my eyes, it's the prettiest car I've ever owned.  Great fun to drive along the Oregon Coast with the top down, or over any of the mountain highways here in western Montana.  BUT-- the top mechanisms stopped working and the parts are not available to fix it.  I can raise or lower the top manually, but I have been unable to latch it in place when down.  Still, it's great fun to drive, but what do I know.  I also own two Triumphs.

Passenger

Where is the 300ZX Twin Turbo?  Remember the tv commercial featuring “Barbie”, “Ken”, “GI Joe” ... and MR. K! That alone merits inclusion of that car on this list.

Navigator

Once again, as most times prior, your list leaves me wondering why I opened the link.  I'm never sure of who your audience is, or for that matter the basis of your criteria.  As usual, you're going to have many comments from people wondering why their favorite car is missing from the list - or maybe that's the point; to get us all frustrated.... 

Passenger

I would have thought the first gen dsm such and the Eclipse GST/GSX and Talon Tsi would have made the list. 

New Driver

I could easily pull three off that list and add one spectacular car you missed.  Perfectly entering the fray right at the beginning of the decade, the 1990-1996 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo deserves a spot on that list.  Gobs of power, all the techy stuff Japanese manufacturers were stuffing into their cars in the 90's, and a gloriously beautiful body meant a car that nobody should ignore.  While those old Saabs are more likely to be found at a wrecking yard than on the street, and you'll never grab a Mustang Cobra R with those production numbers, 300zx TTs are easily still found in either totally stock or heavily modified condition.  If I had to pull a car off this list (and you don't want to budge on the aforementioned Saab or Mustang) then ditching the unreliable Mazda RX7 would be a straight twin-turbo swap.  

Passenger

Im not really fan of the Mitsubishi 3000gt AWD or the sister car known as the Stealth.

But that 4 wheel steering twin turd-bo all wheel peel is sorta before its time.

I wouldn't throw one out of my garage,   lets just say that..as an American only buyer.

4 whl steering..come-on..thats pretty cool for 25+yrs ago.

New Driver

What? No mention of Lexus (LS400 or SC400) beating the lederhosen off nearly all of Deutschland's aristocracy? 

Then there's the incredible Toyota Supra Mk 4. 

Sure, I'd like a Ferrari, but "having a favourite" should also include having even a remote possibility of "having" it. 

Pit Crew

I still love my B&W 96 Viper GTS after all these years.   The car is 100% timeless IMO.  Yes, it is now a monster thanks to a couple of twin turbos from Underground Racing and updated with modern wheels and all kinds of aftermarket performance stuff, but it's still a timeless classic and never ceases to draw crowds. 

Passenger

The 240sx has become quite the cult classic in the drifting and mod world.  Although many were made , originals in good condition are becoming rare and difficult to find. 

Passenger

What about the Isuzu VehiCROSS! There is nothing like it on the road and people still stare at it as if it's from the future!

Passenger

I would have included all the Mustang Cobra R's (1995 and 2000 are excluded), as these cars were all factory race cars and are rarefied air for Mustangs.

New Driver

95-96 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder (and its hardtop siblings).  300hp, twin turbo, AWD, 4-wheel steering, folding hardtop, adjustable suspension, stone cold reliable.  10 years ahead of anything comparable.

Pit Crew

BMW 850 - especially the 1995 - 97 850Ci w/ M-73 V-12 and 5 speed auto. Also the 1994-95 850 CSi - great GT cars that still look fresh today. Yes, I own one 🙂

Passenger

I had a 1996 ('95 and a half) Audi turbo quattro S-6, 5 speed in Europa Blue with gray interior that I totally loved!  Not many knew that car and Audi was still tainted by the CBS fake news story on unintended acceleration, so there were few sold in the US. 

Passenger

Toyota Supra, celica all trac or Mr2 deserve a spot on this list if toyota is to be represented here.

Passenger

You forgot to mention the Corvette ZR1 that debut in the early to mid 90’s. Reasonable price today with assume power to weigh ratio and great handling. One of best cars from the 90’s.

New Driver

I might not have read enough of the comments following, but I would have thought the MkIV (4th gen) Supra would have made the list.  Don't have one, and the body style is a little plain, but it was pretty advanced for its time and the TT model was pretty speedy.

Passenger

VW Corrado SLC 

Passenger

Lexus's arrival on the scene with the stunning SC 300-400 coupes

Passenger

Disappointed am I that the '93 Taurus SHO, 5-speed didn't make the list - one great car!

Passenger

Aston Martin DB7. US imported them in 1997 & 1998. It would be the most beautiful car on the list, with a very reliable 3.6L I6 and a decent 335 supercharged horsepower.

Passenger

Ant thoughts on where a 1991 Buick Reatta convertible might fit in ?

Passenger