cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

10 of our favorite ’90s cars

The 1990s are now a grand 20 years in the past, and an incredible swathe of cars is up for historic plates in the next few years. From JDM wonders to kooky Swedes, cars of the ’90s represent the Goldilocks recipe to enthusiasts. They're new enough to posses the modern technologies that ensured stout reliability and top-tier performance, but old enough to lack electronic nannies that kvetch and whine at us when we attack the twisties. So we decided to put our resident ’90s experts in a livestream for an hour and pick their 10 favorite cars.

While Brad Phillip's official title is Hagerty's Director of Automotive Lifestyle Business Development, you may know him as Brad the Sunbeam Tiger King. Joining him is our Marketplace Editor Colin Comer. While some cars qualify for the top 10 list through Phillip's or Comer's personal experience, the pair discussed others as the pinnacle of their performance genre.

From the humble Mazda Miata to the world-beating McLaren F1, there's something for everyone in this list.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/10-of-our-favorite-90s-cars/

146 REPLIES 146
Len44
New Driver

Exactly!  This is a serious, and unforgivable omission.  One would have though this would HAVE to be included.

Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

Which Supra? The Z32 300ZX was introduced in February 1989 as a 1990 model. The first year of the 1990s was 1991, not 1990.

There was never any such thing as a year 0.
ikura56
New Driver

Yea, Supra, 300ZX TT, and DSM cars would have made that list. Even the Toyota MR2 

cestor01
Intermediate Driver

And what about the Taurus?? (lol)

Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

Taurus gen 1 introduced in December 1985 as a 1986 model. Please elaborate how that makes it a 1990s vehicle before the 1990s even arrived.
Shomurph
Navigator

Yes the Taurus SHO is the step child of all car lists.....

However if you ever bounced the tach off the 7300rpm limiter then you've had at least one smile in your lifetime. 

EDF
Passenger

No C4s?  Really?  The hatred for the C4 is shocking. There were some others that didn’t make the list that were deserving. 

Faught2617
Passenger

I’m with you on this one! 
I own a very nice ‘94 6-speed Coupe with the Z07 handling package and it is a great all around performer that won’t break your wallet. Very reliable as well. C4’s get no respect in the Corvette world either. If you don’t own a C5 or later most people raise their nose to you. It’s a shame. 

ACMX92
Passenger

As a biased C4 owner myself, I have to agree. There should at least be a ZR1 on the list.
Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

Please elaborate how a car introduced in 1989 as a 1990 model (especially while still wearing a 1984 era front bumper) constitutes being a 1990s vehicle.
Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

No hatred but no C4 constitutes a 1990s vehicle if it was produced before January 1, 1991. The C4 Grand Sports get by on a technicality being '96-only cars. The C4 is squarely an 80s decade vehicle.
mtdug
New Driver

Tranzzz Aaamm

Len44
New Driver

300ZX Twin-Turbo not included?  What???  This is amazing that this superb vehicle would not have been included.  Please update this list at your earliest convenience.  Or sooner.

jsfury
Intermediate Driver

1992-98 Mclaren F1 HPG #2 (Excellent) value: $18,000,000

??? I'm sorry. Anyone, ANYONE who spends that kind of money for a car, no matter what it is, has way more money than brains. At that price you simply mount the **bleep** thing over the firepl...sorry, Harth, and look at it in your living room, sipping your martinie whilst  boasting to your other one percenters. What a waste.  

Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

Not everyone understands the concept of an auto enthusiast, Mr. Beater Kia Accent driver.

Sometimes paying extra is worth it. No judgement from me.
RealtorRichard
New Driver

I bought a 1998 Boxster brand new.  Waited 5 months for my custom order to arrive from Germany.  It was the worst car I have ever owned.  After about 20 months of torture it went back to Porsche under the Lemon Law.  EVERYTHING broke.  The engine blew up on start up; the trans had to be hacked out of the vehicle to replace the engine; the top cover support collapsed while putting the top down, warping the cover into a potato chip shape; red lights came on bi-weekly.  I got to know the local dealer's service writer way too well.  The entire dash had to removed and the cowl rewelded to hush a one-man-band cacophony of creaks and groans.  I could go on and on.  I can only imagine how time has not been kind to these cars.

Silverc4s
Navigator

The Mercedes - AMG breakout started with the C36 and then the C43, sold as new models on Mercedes showrooms around the world. Kind of forgotten now, their success spawned a generation of MB/AMG cars that are the dominant representation of Mercedes today.

This C class was the last of the Bruno Sacco designs in production, by the way. The Chrysler merger pretty well destroyed Mercedes long history of quality above everything else..

Danno
New Driver

I just loved my 2002 540i!  It was always ready to have fun; its get up and go and tight handling made it a joy to drive.  It was my daily driver for 10 years, up until I retired, and now someone else gets to have all the fun!

KaaceyK9
New Driver

Any info on the Mercedes Benz R129 - SL500 - in the '90s ( 1999?) 

KaaceyK9
New Driver

Any info of a Mercedes Benz R129 '90s ( 1999) 

Sprinterkb
New Driver

What no Supra TT? This is the pinnacle of 90's performance that still is a legend today

Who cares about a Saab, long forgotten brand that was killed by the old GM

Carman81
Navigator

Yes, where is the Supra TT? By far one of the best if not the best car made in the 90's . I understand the McLaren but that's millions of dollars! What a disgrace to leave the Supra out, especially if you are listing the RX-7, NSX and Miata in this list. 

Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

The Miata NA, introduced in February 1989 as a 1990 model, which technically makes this a 1980s model, especially when you consider Mazda had been developing this car for two years prior.
Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

Obviously not everyone has forgotten it or it wouldn't have made the list. Not everyone gets it. Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, and Oldsmobile (RIP 2004) all dead brands but still have their followers.
Sprinterkb
New Driver

Where is the 90's TT Supra? Legend back then and still is today. Who cares about Saab a strange Swedish brand ruined by the old GM

mikett
Passenger

What about the 1992-2000 Lexus SC 300/400? These legendary coupes are still around, some with more than 300,000 miles and still going strong. The 300 came with a six-cylinder engine and, for 1992-97, a five-speed option. The 400 had a four-liter V8 and automatic transmission. I have a 1997 SC400 with 90,000 miles on it and it feels like it's still in the break-in period.

audiobycarmine
Instructor

Right-on! I have a '92 SC400 with 130K miles, and it's silky smooth. 

The original paint and interior are also in great shape. 

Now if only they'd got those window regulators to last beyond 27-28 years! 

Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

Trust me, you got your money's worth out of that part after nearly three decades. You or I should look so good after three decades.
golfnut53083
Intermediate Driver

I have owned 2 SC300's and they are truly a joy to drive. Hard to imagine them not becoming a future collectible as they were quite pricey when new. Some of the best blend of engineering, performance and sex appeal in the automotive world IMHO!

TimK
Detailer

While I'm not a fan of all the picks, I can understand why they're on the list. But for a couple of them, nothing says "blah" like a 4 door sedan. And I don't mean a 4 door hardtop without a post available in the 50s & 60s. My mommy drove a 4 door sedan. No matter what was under the hood, how they might handle or high style they might be, they just aren't "cool" in my opinion. But I understand the tastes of Gen X, Y, Z & Millennials are not the same as Boomers. Like what you want but I don't have to agree.

Pepperalls
Detailer

I think you are bang-on where the 4-door bias/dislike fades away with the post-boomers. How it breaks down is trickier since various sources don't use the same definitions for X, Y & Z and most seem to lump anyone under 30 as a Millennial (which would be spanning part of Y & Z). Context matters too (I think)... 4-door Chevelle not cool in 1967 is so much cooler than pretty much any crossover today.
Swallowedhook
Passenger

Re the authors "nannies" comment. When programmed and built correctly, the nannies are a life saver which enhances the ability to drive fast. My LS3 Corvette has an outstanding sport setting. It allows just the right amount of drift through the twisties, while protecting the driver from losing control. A professional driver did laps using each of the 3 settings. Normal setting was a bit over protective and perfect for most of the owners who have limited skills. Turning it off allowed him to get too squirlley when pushing it to the limit. His fastest lap times were in sport mode. He said, "You can't win a race after spinning out off a corner. Sport setting lets me wring every bit out of the car without crossing into uncontrolled moments needing big corrections which scrub off speed. My fastest laps were in sport setting." He also said, "Why would you EVER turn it off?"

TristramBuckley
Pit Crew

You left off what many Ferrari and automobile experts consider one of the very best Ferrari of all time, the F355.  This was the car credited with turning Ferrari's fortunes and reputation around.  5 Valves per cylinder.  The highest horsepower per liter normally aspired motor ever at that time, 8500 RPMs, 0-60 comparable to the 550 that came after it and faster around the racetrack than the 12 cylinder 512TR and a car many people say is the the best looking modern era Ferrari.

audiobycarmine
Instructor

What? No mention of Lexus (LS400 or SC400) beating the lederhosen off nearly all of Deutschland's aristocracy? 

Then there's the incredible Toyota Supra Mk 4. 

Sure, I'd like a Ferrari, but "having a favourite" should also include having even a remote possibility of "having" it. 

Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

LS400 introduced in 1989 as a 1990 model. Coming in at the tail end of the 1980s does not make this a 1990s vehicle.
Fogline
Passenger

Dates are wrong for the E39, which did not come out until 97 or 98. I test drove both the E34 540i 6 speed and the E39 when I bought my 95 E34. While the E39 was definitely faster, I loved the stying of the E34 more and bought it. Both are great with the 6 speed, which was only available in 95 as a bridge to the new model and a new M5 slated to come out in a couple of years. The earlier 5 series has retained it's value better, I believe and given its production run into the mid 90s is more representative of this list than the later 5's.

1320metalman
New Driver

Im not really fan of the Mitsubishi 3000gt AWD or the sister car known as the Stealth.

But that 4 wheel steering twin turd-bo all wheel peel is sorta before its time.

I wouldn't throw one out of my garage,   lets just say that..as an American only buyer.

4 whl steering..come-on..thats pretty cool for 25+yrs ago.

TheWall
New Driver

I was lucky to own a  '93 3000 GT VR4, from '96-'99.  It  was a fantastic handling beast and a techno tour de force. Unworldly grip in the wet! Also very reliable, up to 90k miles, when I let it go.  I'd place it above the Mustang and RX7 for sure.

DmSea
Pit Crew

Yes owned one too, a Stealth. Very fast and comfortable but I had to let it go simply because the parts were becoming more & more difficult to find. Not all Mitsubishi parts fit in them too. 

ScottM
Intermediate Driver

A great list, but a C4 corvette would be a worthy addition. Performance, handling, technology, serviceable, reliable, with affordable examples in all levels of condition.

Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

A car that still wore its 1984 front bumper into the 1990 model year is still an 80s car. I would give the C4 Grand Sport a pass only because it didnt exist prior to the 1996 model year, but it still rode on the bones of an early 80s vehicle.
captngaryr
Passenger

Why exclude my 2003-2005 NSX?  They're faster and have all the benefits of their brethren.  I like the look better as well.

ed
Detailer

The article is about cars of the 90s

captngaryr
Passenger

Oops!  You're right.  Sorry!

Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

Wrong decade, but it still rode on the bones of a car first produced for the 1989 Chicago Auto Show for 1990 model year.

A car introduced at the tail end of the 1980s is still a 1980s car. This car missed being a 1990s car by a single model year.
livemeyer
New Driver

I could easily pull three off that list and add one spectacular car you missed.  Perfectly entering the fray right at the beginning of the decade, the 1990-1996 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo deserves a spot on that list.  Gobs of power, all the techy stuff Japanese manufacturers were stuffing into their cars in the 90's, and a gloriously beautiful body meant a car that nobody should ignore.  While those old Saabs are more likely to be found at a wrecking yard than on the street, and you'll never grab a Mustang Cobra R with those production numbers, 300zx TTs are easily still found in either totally stock or heavily modified condition.  If I had to pull a car off this list (and you don't want to budge on the aforementioned Saab or Mustang) then ditching the unreliable Mazda RX7 would be a straight twin-turbo swap.  

RedReatta
Passenger

Ant thoughts on where a 1991 Buick Reatta convertible might fit in ?

Bcweir
Intermediate Driver

It's titled Favorites. This car wasn't a sales success for Buick and seemed to have an identity crisis. Its high tech confused Buick's grey and white haired customer base, and it didn't succeed as either a sports car or a personal luxury coupe, where Buick's own Riviera coupe competed with it for buyers.
Lowflyingcat
Navigator

2nd generation Toyota MR2 has to be on the list

ikura56
New Driver

Hell yea, I agree