cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

10 more sets of automotive doppelgängers | Hagerty Media

A year ago, we assembled 20 pairs of cars that looked a lot-or at least somewhat-alike. Many of these cars were separated by decades, or by continents, while others were direct competitors with each other in period. Some of our pairings were more well-received than others, but many in the Hagerty Community became interested enough to offer up their own suggestions.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/10-more-sets-of-automotive-doppelgangers/
111 REPLIES 111
Smithsonite
Intermediate Driver

You forgot, every car built today for under $40k.
Reinhold_Weege
Instructor

I think a good criteria might be if a Hollywood B-movie switches one vehicle out for another, painted the same way at the last moment before a wreck.... And now I give you these:

1956 Studebaker Hawk & 1958 Sunbeam Rapier III
1964 Plymouth Barracuda & 1967 Sunbeam Rapier Fastback
1967 AMC Rebel & 1968/69 Plymouth Belvedere/Satellite/etc.
1967 Chrysler/Dodge C-body fastback coupes and 1970 AMC Rebel
40s-50s Russian Limos and Prior-gen Packard sedans

37Fordude
Pit Crew

Please refrain from characterizing any two door car as a "coupe". I know it's the way nowadays, but calling the 1942-1948 Ford in your comparison a coupe is just WRONG. It's a two door (Tudor) Sedan. If it had four doors, it would be a Fordor Sedan. Traditionally, a coupe is an enclosed car with no back seat as you know. Ford blurred the line between coupe and sedan by introducing their Sedan Coupe during the same period. Since I'm the owner of a 1937 Ford Tudor Sedan, I've had to go over this every time I talk to people at shows or events. I'm also a Model T driver at Greenfield Village and it gives me great fodder for talking to guests there.

Not sure if you already did this comparison, but look at the front of the Sunbeam Alpine and the first generation Thunderbird. In my college days, I had a 1956 Bird and a fraternity brother had an Alpine. We couldn't help but notice the similarity.

In any case, a good article, as usual. Keep up the good work.

Jerry Poniatowski
BPatLeMays
Intermediate Driver

I think the 1955 Packard Clipper and the twenty years newer Gaz Chaika are a better example of a dopleganger than all of these. But I expect there's a good reason for this. Anyone care to explain these similarities?
JAG
Detailer

A big one missed is the 240Z and the 63 Ferrari GTO. They share the same roofline.
millbuna
Pit Crew

49-50 Ford and Willys Aero. When it came down to establishing the production door contours the Willys designers admitted they cribbed the contour from the Ford
Kewina50
Intermediate Driver

An e24 6-series and a 10th generation Thunderturd? Hilarious and blasphemous at the same time!
If a faint reference to a Hoffmeister kink makes them similar, then most cars are similar to each other in that they each have 4 black round rubber things in common. Nothing looks like an e24.
edddurst-gmail
Intermediate Driver

I think Chrysler was looking at the Bentley instead of the Rover. I saw a Bentley pull out of Yankee Kitchen and at first, I thought it was a new Chrysler model until it got closer.
dj4all
New Driver

These are great examples of look-a-likes. As a former owner of a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, I would like to add the side profile for the BMW 5-series of the same era was nearly identical from the front doors back to the G9
JimGinPA
New Driver

Perhaps the sport front end on the 75 thru 80 Chevy Monza is comparable to the third gen Camaro, which was soon to come. I believe it was a preview of things to come. The 2+2 model seemed to have a few borrowed design cues, especially with the spoiler the tail lights resemble second gen Camaro & the "bulges" on the lower wheel openings are taken from the 3rd gen Corvette. Of course I tell myself these things because I own one.
Trics49plymouth
New Driver

It seems to me that I read an article many tears ago basically saying that Volvo, did in fact, base the design of their car on the 42-48 Fords in order to resume car production faster after WW11.
Maybe someone out there knows something about this? Tim